Blind Mock Draft

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I've tried this a few times in the past, and it's been pretty hit-and-miss. It seems more and more people like ranking players for the draft, so maybe it can work this year.

It works quite a bit differently than other mock drafts. Basically, each team submits (via PM, not by posting in the thread) a ranked list of players, in order of preference for their team. When all lists have been received, I will go through pick by pick, and announce the results in this thread.

How does the selection process work? When it comes to a team's pick, they get the highest ranked player still available on their list.

For example:

Team A - Pick #1

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Adam Larsson
3. Gabriel Landeskog

Team B - Pick #2

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Sean Couturier
3. Jonathan Huberdeau

Team C - Pick #3

1. Adam Larsson
2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
3. Gabriel Landeskog

Simple example, but Team A would get Nugent-Hopkins, Team B Couturier, and Team C Larsson.

When ranking your players, you can make it easier on yourself, by only focusing on players that should be available when you pick. For example, if you have pick #15, you may want to send in just a list of the players you have ranked 10-20, or whatever. This way you don't waste time including a player like Nugent-Hopkins or Larsson, but you might include a guy like Strome or Murphy in case he nose-dives.

Either way, please make sure you include enough players on your list that you get a player you want. If it comes to your pick and none of the players on your list is available, I will assign a "BPA" based on one or more of the professional scouting rankings out there, most likely CSS. So for later rounds I would recommend a list of at least 20 players or so.

You can also specify rules for your picks (please be specific!). For example, you can rank John Gibson very high on your list, but write (very clearly so I see it) that you don't want any goalies in the first round. This will ensure you don't take him in the first, but he would be your first choice when your pick comes up in the second, for example. Or if you have two picks you can ask that the first one be a forward and the second a d-man. Whatever you want, as long as it is a hard-and-fast rule (no judgment involved on my part), and written clearly so I can see and understand it.

There can be a fair bit of strategy involved in a draft like this. You don't know who other teams prefer, and you don't actually know who you'll get when your pick comes up, so you need to trust your list. Do you rank a certain player where you think he should go, or do you raise him in your rankings hoping he'll make it to your pick where you can snag him? Just like in the real draft, a player can fall a long way if he's #2 on a lot of lists.

There are also a couple ways we can do this. Do we go all 7 rounds at once? Seems interesting, and it gets the entire draft over with at one time without dragging on, but it can be tough for 30 people to submit lists for 7 rounds all at once. If we go round by round, we're likely to lose people along the way, but you'll be able to see the results after each round and adjust your strategy/lists accordingly.

Hopefully there's some interest in this kind of thing. It can be pretty cool when it works. If you want to sign up, just post what team you'd like to be. Once you post, you're welcome to send your first round list (or list for any subsequent rounds) to me via PM.

ANA -
ATL - Mr Momentum
BOS - xking23
BUF - 1972sabres
CGY - Flameshomer
CAR - Anton Gretzky
CHI -
COL - CooperDean
CBJ -
DAL - Bennrocks
DET - icebluuu
EDM - Beerfish
FLA - KanataBlazers17
LA - TehJuxtaposer
MIN - Pajicz
MTL - Robin Lehner
NSH -
NJ - henrik4vezina30
NYI - blues22
NYR - MDZ
OTT - snoopdizzle
PHI -
PHX - rt
PIT -
SJ - brandonf
STL -
TB -
TOR - grits207
VAN - WonderTwinsUnite
WSH -

Last edited:

Isles_Guy*

:isles id like the Isles please

Last edited by a moderator:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We need more people for this draft, so come one come all, sign up for your fav team and see how things shake out. Just the time commitment to make up your teams list of players then you don't have to worry about being around for your picks as they come up. :)

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Still lots of room. I've gotten some lists already, which is great.

Beerfish, for example, sent a list of 6-12 players he thinks might be available for each pick the Oilers have. That's all it takes.

A couple posters have even stated the reasoning and strategy behind their rankings, which is always interesting.

Hopefully tonight I'll try to have the first post edited with the picks each team has.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
We need more people for this draft, so come one come all, sign up for your fav team and see how things shake out. Just the time commitment to make up your teams list of players then you don't have to worry about being around for your picks as they come up. :)

Yeah, how isn't this filling up more quickly? Takes much less time than a normal mock draft game. Personally I love the idea.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
It doesn't take very long to do once everyone signs up. But that's the problem. There are still quite a few teams left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad