Pre-Game Talk: BLEH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Today I got the positive feelings. heh As we know the Oilers rise up to some opponents. Just a feeling that they do today. I love Gagner and I think bringing him up just helps the room slightly as well. Its a shame really they didn't bring Gags up a game earlier and just let him play some shifts in Heritage Classic. Not like it would have made difference on scoreboard and it would do some justice to a several time Oiler and longest standing Oiler. Gagner started here in 2007, wow, its been a longtime.

Stars on back to back will help today, or should. But the Oilers sure have to bring their A game.

If they don't show up considering the spot they are in and had a few days off, it would be inexcusable in my opinion.

I can appreciate there could be some rust in the first few shifts, and Dallas playing their third game in four nights likely start with all cylinders firing, but play smart and survive those early shifts and slowly let your fresh legs start to take over.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If they don't show up considering the spot they are in and had a few days off, it would be inexcusable in my opinion.

I can appreciate there could be some rust in the first few shifts, and Dallas playing their third game in four nights likely start with all cylinders firing, but play smart and survive those early shifts and slowly let your fresh legs start to take over.
Historically the Stars nemesis is themselves. That club is often guilty of taking periods off, even games off, and like the Oilers they even do it in playoffs. Its a hard to figure out bunch. They are not worse than Vegas, they just don't bring their A game all the time.

They take time off. Rangers are similar. When Dallas was nothing but old legs I could see it, they couldn't play 60mins intensity. But with young legs in mix now they should be able to pressure pucks better, they just don't. Dallas without the puck is their problem. Puck possession and establishing ozone is how to beat them.

They let even the Flames do that for durations.

Reactions: bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Historically the Stars nemesis is themselves. That club is often guilty of taking periods off, even games off, and like the Oilers they even do it in playoffs. Its a hard to figure out bunch. They are not worse than Vegas, they just don't bring their A game all the time.

They take time off. Rangers are similar. When Dallas was nothing but old legs I could see it, they couldn't play 60mins intensity. But with young legs in mix now they should be able to pressure pucks better, they just don't. Dallas without the puck is their problem. Puck possession and establishing ozone is how to beat them.

They let even the Flames do that for durations.

All the more reason to start the game playing disciplined and smart and wait for the eventual lull and pounce when it comes. With the Oilers offense, a 10 minute lull may be all it takes if you can limit them to 2 goals.

If the Oilers start with an intent to trade chances early, that first line can put up 3 goals in short order, especially since those guys have had success vs Edmonton. Can't let that happen

Reactions: Drivesaitl

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
One thing I'm looking for tonight is the d-men continuing to blast it from the point. We really did a great job of that against the Flames and it resulted in two key goals.

When we aren't scoring 5v5 I find the entire team has a tendency to dust the puck off in a poor attempt to look for the perfect play. This was especially bad to start the season. When our d men either shoot it or move it expediently at the offensive blue line it opens everything up for us.

Reactions: bone and Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This Oilers team?
After a longer break?
Against Dallas?
Against a BACKUP GOALIE?!
And Dallas played last night?
Instant loss.

• Haha
Reactions: bone

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Kerist Heiskanen is good. He put on a clinic in the 2nd period moving the puck around the point as if its a PP all the time. Everytime Stars established in Ozone it was looking like a PP and Heiskanen walking blueline, faking out players, making great passes.

Transition too. Stars breakout is a reason to watch. When their breakout is popping its as good as any team.

These kind of games are easy for me to dive into and I probably watch it twice. Fascinating matchup of clubs and its a shame we didn't play them in a series last spring. Would be good. I think both clubs will be testing each other tonight. Should be a lot of rushes. Like I said earlier Rangers are likely the most entertaining opponent for us but Stars are in there too as a team to watch. They have a bit of a mix of old and new players too. Hard not to like Marchments son and the zest he plays the game. Makes a father proud.

I just love hockey played well so tonight could be a real joy.

Makar and Heiskanen are the best. The two guys who can shut McDavid down.

Will be interested to see what kind of effort we get tonight. I wonder how much the outdoor game had an impact on the team. Probably so much family stuff going on. I wonder if players were focused on it since its so close to the beginning of the season, rather than focusing on other games. Seems weird to me. But hockey players obviously get up for things like outdoor games, halloween dress up etc.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Makar and Heiskanen are the best. The two guys who can shut McDavid down.

Will be interested to see what kind of effort we get tonight. I wonder how much the outdoor game had an impact on the team. Probably so much family stuff going on. I wonder if players were focused on it since its so close to the beginning of the season, rather than focusing on other games. Seems weird to me. But hockey players obviously get up for things like outdoor games, halloween dress up etc.
That's what I was wondering as well. I think that might factor into the myriad of reasons for our bad start.

On the flip side, professionals that make more money in one game than people make in a year shouldn't need to "get up" for games while taking others off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad