Pre-Game Talk: BLEH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He literally apologized to Erne in the presser and said it’s his fault (Woodcroft’s) that Erne is going down, because of all the special teams he failed to work Erne into the lineup properly, and he’s a really good guy and they all feel bad about waiving him.

So… kinda seems like you’re picking the wrong bone here. Ideally he would have sent down Brown on a conditioning stint and saved us 3.25M next year… but the “way” he sent Erne down wasn’t problematic. Somebody with more tenure here will be the next on the block If things don’t improve.

You are right. I was just reacting to the quote. I didn’t listen to the entire clip. So I am likely taking it out of context. My bad.

Think I am just annoyed how decisions keep being made by the team. Combined with the way they have played. I am just grumpy with Jackson, Holland, Woodcroft and the Players

Reactions: Drivesaitl

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Get it together bottom 5!

I like to see the Oilers be pioneers like this because of our cap hell. Bottom 5 talk all year. Maybe if we get enough forward injuries we could try 10 forwards and 8 D and start talking about our 4th D pair needing to bring more to the table.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
Glad you said it. I didn't see that as blaming Erne. He said he's paying the price for an underproducing bottom 5. He's calling out the entire group, recognizing the easiest piece to move out was Erne.
Ya he’s literally NOT blaming Erne lol. Like literally the opposite.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I get the quote didn't put blame on Erne, but the guy barely played his last game as an Oiler. The guy clearly didn't do nearly enough from the coaches standpoint.

Struds talked about it all summer that we need guys with identities in the bottom 6. Erne is the guy to be expected to be the most physical and bring that identity to the club, but clearly didn't do enough of that and other things to keep a roster spot

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think it's always the smart move to play your starter in the first game of back to backs. Give yourself the better odds when you are fresher to get 2 points.
That and Oettinger's numbers vs. Edmonton aren't good (especially last year) and Wedgewood played Edmonton well in the game they played last year.

Oettinger
1698861858395.png

vs. Wedgewood
1698861921218.png

Last edited:

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Oettinger starts vs Calgary tonight so we likely get Wedgewood tomorrow.
I don't get this from Dallas?

I guess they really want to try to make sure they get a win and starting him against a weaker CGY should solidify it. Then winning in Edmonton is a coin flip.

Reactions: joestevens29

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You should listen to the full interview first - he even acknowledges he hasn’t done any favors to Erne, especially last game, with the limited ice time
Its still odd though. I'm not trying to support Erne here but the one thing about him that I've noted is that the effort will be there and he was even banging, and he's even been getting scoring chances. Its arguable that Holloway and Erne have been our better bottomsix players and Erne has been more noticeable than some others even with very limited minutes.

I mean it is possible to have meritocracy where effort gets minutes. McLeod would be getting 5mins a game.

All of Janmark, McLeod, Ryan have been lukewarm. Ryan has the excuse of age.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I get the quote didn't put blame on Erne, but the guy barely played his last game as an Oiler. The guy clearly didn't do nearly enough from the coaches standpoint.

Struds talked about it all summer that we need guys with identities in the bottom 6. Erne is the guy to be expected to be the most physical and bring that identity to the club, but clearly didn't do enough of that and other things to keep a roster spot
Erne had 3 hits in his 3mins of play in the Heritage Classic. All the hits were slobberknockers. The only guy more physical in the game was Kane.

Stand up anybody who even noticed McLeod playing in the game.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Erne had 3 hits in his 3mins of play in the Heritage Classic. All the hits were slobberknockers. The only guy more physical in the game was Kane.

Stand up anybody who even noticed McLeod playing in the game.
For me, McLeod has been the biggest disappointment by far. If he has the audacity to ask for a bunch more money next year, he can f*** off and go somewhere else.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
For me, McLeod has been the biggest disappointment by far. If he has the audacity to ask for a bunch more money next year, he can f*** off and go somewhere else.
Well it was a two year contract. If he performs similar to the levels the entire time as he has in the first 8 games, he just doesn't get qualified and becomes a free agent one year earlier than his age would dictate.

In fact, if it continues through this season, he may be a buyout candidate since it would only be $350K per season over the next two seasons (saves 1.75M next year at the cost of 350K in 2025-26). It's cheaper to to buyout players under 25 than over 25.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Glad you said it. I didn't see that as blaming Erne. He said he's paying the price for an underproducing bottom 5. He's calling out the entire group, recognizing the easiest piece to move out was Erne.
Not surprising. Heading into this season the bottom 6 got worse. Losing players like Kostin has really hurt the team early on. Quite the stark contrast from last year. The team is back to a terrible bottom 6 like usual. lol

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Not surprising. Heading into this season the bottom 6 got worse. Losing players like Kostin has really hurt the team early on. Quite the stark contrast from last year. The team is back to a terrible bottom 6 like usual. lol
Kostin isn’t doing shit this year either. The other 2 casualties have actually put up points.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad