Pre-Game Talk: BLEH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Kostin isn’t doing shit this year either. The other 2 casualties have actually put up points.

McLeod and Kostin basically have the same stats through 7 games. I think the bottom 6 bounces back. Everyone is running a 55+ xGF on natural stat trick with really low PDO numbers suggesting that there's some unluckiness happening.

Also did Janmark get married recently? Because Hockeydb has him as "Mattias Janmark-Nylen"

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
McLeod and Kostin basically have the same stats through 7 games. I think the bottom 6 bounces back. Everyone is running a 55+ xGF on natural stat trick with really low PDO numbers suggesting that there's some unluckiness happening.

Also did Janmark get married recently? Because Hockeydb has him as "Mattias Janmark-Nylen"

Swedish players often have hyphenated last names from their parents but use only one.

McLoed isn’t doing anything until he decides to get to the blue paint. His perimeter play is exhausting Woody who cut his ice time big time last game.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Haha I have a special place in my heart for Mario. Let me know how it is.
Haven’t had time to sit down and enjoy the game, but I’m told it’s “Wonder”ful!

It scored a 92 rating(for now)and made top 10 for this year’s games.

IMG_0380.jpeg

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Dal-ass Turds gon’ roll over for the fLames tonight, so will be extra energized for tomorrow

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
BLEH..... more like
HELP

so close to be genius... so close
4 days between game can bore a brain.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
On one hand as a hockey fan I'm pissed its November already and the Oilers have only played 8 games. Should be around a dozen by now. On the other hand its been good for the Oilers because they were clearly not ready for seasons start and so better to have only had 8 games to play instead of more at a time they were struggling. Also with the Connor McDavid injury being out over a week and only missing 2 games.

Anyway tomorrow is no easy night. Stars pretty loaded with talent and depth. Should be a good game. This one would be worth the admission price.

Reactions: FlameChampion

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
On one hand as a hockey fan I'm pissed its November already and the Oilers have only played 8 games. Should be around a dozen by now. On the other hand its been good for the Oilers because they were clearly not ready for seasons start and so better to have only had 8 games to play instead of more at a time they were struggling. Also with the Connor McDavid injury being out over a week and only missing 2 games.

Anyway tomorrow is no easy night. Stars pretty loaded with talent and depth. Should be a good game. This one would be worth the admission price.
i wonder what the stars rationale is for playing ottenger vs the flames, assuming he isnt playing back to back. maybe they wanted to make sure they got 2 pts. or maybe they know the oilers have a track record of making back up goalies look like prime patrick roy

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Anytime you have a 0% on ice shooting percentage your PDO will suck. Even one goal would make it look better. The one positive is that the on-ice save percentage is awesome. McLeod is at .939 so they are getting the goaltending (or doing a decent job of limitting the quality of chances). Ryan's right there as well at .935.

Only Brown is subject to bad on-ice save percentage and a zero shooting percentage but 60% of the goals against came when he wasn't playing in the bottom 6 (3 of 5 against were with Kane/McDavid in the two Vancouver games). With McLeod, Brown's on-ice save percentage is .947. If they can ever start scoring some goals, that may actually be a decent 3rd line.

Even Erne had a .957 on ice save percentage despite being absolutely brain dead on his coverage on the one goal that was scored against with him on the ice.

Fun number. Brown with McDavid have a .571 on-ice save percentage when playing together. That's crazy bad luck there.

Last edited:

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Anytime you have a 0% on ice shooting percentage your PDO will suck. Even one goal would make it look better. The one positive is that the on-ice save percentage is awesome. McLeod is at .939 so they are getting the goaltending (or doing a decent job of limitting the quality of chances). Ryan's right there as well at .935.

Only Brown is subject to bad on-ice save percentage and a zero shooting percentage but 60% of the goals against came when he wasn't playing in the bottom 6 (3 of 5 against were with Kane/McDavid in the two Vancouver games). With McLeod, Brown's on-ice save percentage is .947. If they can ever start scoring some goals, that may actually be a decent 3rd line.

Even Erne had a .957 on ice save percentage despite being absolutely brain dead on his coverage on the one goal that was scored against with him on the ice.

Fun number. Brown with McDavid have a .571 on-ice save percentage when playing together. That's crazy bad luck there.
I look at a few stat websites here and there, but where can you see this stat? Goalies save % while you are on the ice? Natural Stat Trick?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I look at a few stat websites here and there, but where can you see this stat? Goalies save % while you are on the ice? Natural Stat Trick?
Yes, NST using the On-Ice Reports.

It's interesting looking at the Oilers bottom 5 on there as they actually don't have terrible numbers defensively, but bagels offensively. Makes me wonder if the system is benefitting the bottom 5 at minimizing the quality of scoring chances against and we're just getting blown up because of bad turnovers and transition by the better players.

Desharnais, also looks like a revelation defensively in these with a 96% save percentage while he's on ice. 1 goal in 25 shots and only 6 HD chances against. Granted his quality of competition isn't great but there's some signs in the data that the system is helping the back end of the roster defensively.

If this can hold, once the bottom half gets at least occasional production and the errors in the top half of the lineup drop (Bouchard has cleaned up his game a bit in the last two and Nurse has actually been pretty solid more games than not), this team could go on a run.

Last edited:

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
For me, McLeod has been the biggest disappointment by far. If he has the audacity to ask for a bunch more money next year, he can f*** off and go somewhere else.
I took 6 Oilers in my hockey pool. Took McLeod and Holloway with 12th and 13th pick. Actually got Foegele with 14th Explains why I’m 18th outta 25

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
i wonder what the stars rationale is for playing ottenger vs the flames, assuming he isnt playing back to back. maybe they wanted to make sure they got 2 pts. or maybe they know the oilers have a track record of making back up goalies look like prime patrick roy
Unfortunately from watching the game last night it was so the Stars could take most of last night off with Ott backstopping them and reserve some jump for the Oilers contest. The Flames don't matter to clubs, the Oilers and McDrai do. They would want to be better in this game I think.

Stars when on were in full court press in Flames zone. Markstrom made 3 circus stops in 2nd period alone while Dallas scored 3 goals despite Markstrom stoning.

I assume Campbell in net, better be.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kerist Heiskanen is good. He put on a clinic in the 2nd period moving the puck around the point as if its a PP all the time. Everytime Stars established in Ozone it was looking like a PP and Heiskanen walking blueline, faking out players, making great passes.

Transition too. Stars breakout is a reason to watch. When their breakout is popping its as good as any team.

These kind of games are easy for me to dive into and I probably watch it twice. Fascinating matchup of clubs and its a shame we didn't play them in a series last spring. Would be good. I think both clubs will be testing each other tonight. Should be a lot of rushes. Like I said earlier Rangers are likely the most entertaining opponent for us but Stars are in there too as a team to watch. They have a bit of a mix of old and new players too. Hard not to like Marchments son and the zest he plays the game. Makes a father proud.

I just love hockey played well so tonight could be a real joy.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Kerist Heiskanen is good. He put on a clinic in the 2nd period moving the puck around the point as if its a PP all the time. Everytime Stars established in Ozone it was looking like a PP and Heiskanen walking blueline, faking out players, making great passes.

Transition too. Stars breakout is a reason to watch. When their breakout is popping its as good as any team.

These kind of games are easy for me to dive into and I probably watch it twice. Fascinating matchup of clubs and its a shame we didn't play them in a series last spring. Would be good. I think both clubs will be testing each other tonight. Should be a lot of rushes. Like I said earlier Rangers are likely the most entertaining opponent for us but Stars are in there too as a team to watch. They have a bit of a mix of old and new players too. Hard not to like Marchments son and the zest he plays the game. Makes a father proud.

I just love hockey played well so tonight could be a real joy.
Assuming the Oilers play well, as I'm sure Dallas will.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Assuming the Oilers play well, as I'm sure Dallas will.
Today I got the positive feelings. heh As we know the Oilers rise up to some opponents. Just a feeling that they do today. I love Gagner and I think bringing him up just helps the room slightly as well. Its a shame really they didn't bring Gags up a game earlier and just let him play some shifts in Heritage Classic. Not like it would have made difference on scoreboard and it would do some justice to a several time Oiler and longest standing Oiler. Gagner started here in 2007, wow, its been a longtime.

Stars on back to back will help today, or should. But the Oilers sure have to bring their A game.

Reactions: bone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad