Blast from the past: Habs 8, Bruins 2 (Jan 22 2008)

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
This was the year when the habs were destroying everyone with the Huet/Price tandem and then king ******* decided to trade Huet right before playoffs and let Price lead the team in his rookie season?
edit: I just remembered he traded him for a draft pick! LMAO

The rest is history but this was a great season, shame Koivu never had one decent winger in his entire career. That tends to happen when the guy at the top is too busy trying to convince everyone he is talented by not making moves.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
This was the year when the habs were destroying everyone with the Huet/Price tandem and then king ******* decided to trade Huet right before playoffs and let Price lead the team in his rookie season?
edit: I just remembered he traded him for a draft pick! LMAO

The rest is history but this was a great season, shame Koivu never had one decent winger in his entire career. That tends to happen when the guy at the top is too busy trying to convince everyone he is talented by not making moves.

It was a strange move. Maybe there was something more to that purse incident. Some people say OB took the fall for a veteran, and huet's name has been tossed around.

I also remember huet's first game against Montreal after being traded. There were multiple players chirping at him throughout the 60mins, and they didn't appear to be exchanging pleasentries.

We all know that the bottom fell out of this dressing room in 2009 with all the off ice issues... Maybe huet was just the tip of the iceberg.

I find that trading huet for a pick when your other 2 goalies were just puppies was bizarre and it had to be more than a hockey move.

TimStrickland

Jul 30, 2011
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com
I remember the powerplay struggling a lot after losing Streit. The organization was hoping that they could replace him with either Tanguay or Plekanec manning the point but it was really not as effective until they acquired Schneider.

The Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev line was all kinds of awesome tho. All the way until Gainey put Laraque on that line :(

I remember that Tanguay/Koivu/Kovalev line. They were really on fire in the last stretch of the season, getting every game in that stretch points. When Markov was injured though, they struggled a bit if I recall. We entered the playoffs without Markov and Tanguay. Gainey thought Laraque would add size and grit on the Koivu line:laugh: He sucked and we got swept in 4 by Boston in what was supposed to be the glorious centennial. Embarassing season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOXW7ZxYcRo Markov was hurt by a dirty hit from Grabovski, which finished his season, and sent him into a 3-year period when he could not play a full season because of constant injuries, like Apr 2009-2nd half of 2011-12.

In 2010-11 if he came back late in that season, along with Gorges , we make the finals. Look at this defense corps- Markov, Wizniewski, Subban, Hamrlik, Spacek, and Gill. With Price having his first full legitimate good year with near 40 wins.:cry:

We nearly ousted the Bruins without Pacioretty, Gorges, DD(injured Games 5-7) and Markov..:cry:

Slugger

Mar 6, 2013
It's hard to argue that the team from '07-'08 is better than this team. The PP was unbelievable and they were better coached in my opinion. However, they never felt dangerous, it always felt like they were lucky to be where they were and felt like a team that was simply thrown together.

This team feels dangerous. It has electric players, bigger, more skilled players, great players that we've drafted all kinda coming up together. I think if you're a GM, you take this team over that team any day of the week.

habscup*

It's hard to argue that the team from '07-'08 is better than this team. The PP was unbelievable and they were better coached in my opinion. However, they never felt dangerous, it always felt like they were lucky to be where they were and felt like a team that was simply thrown together.

This team feels dangerous. It has electric players, bigger, more skilled players, great players that we've drafted all kinda coming up together. I think if you're a GM, you take this team over that team any day of the week.

Whatt are you talking about dude? That team used to dominate games, constantly winning by 3-4 goals. And Kovalev in his best year >>> any forward we have now, Plekanec at 69 points that year, Koivu on our 2nd line .. Ryder Higgins Kostitsyn etc that team was loaded.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Whatt are you talking about dude? That team used to dominate games, constantly winning by 3-4 goals. And Kovalev in his best year >>> any forward we have now, Plekanec at 69 points that year, Koivu on our 2nd line .. Ryder Higgins Kostitsyn etc that team was loaded.

The team only flashed for a single season, it was not built with players that could turn it into a lasting powerhouse. We arent that yet also but we are much closer than 6 yrs ago.

Slugger

Mar 6, 2013

and what? Barely beat a transitioning Bruins, got embarrassed by RJ Umberger and Martin Biron and got dismantled the next season.

Mynameismark*

With an experienced Price in goal and Subban. Yeah, you take this team.

Not to mention, even though they had some skill offensively in 08, there wasn't nearly as much heart. Lats and Kostityns....yeah. Even Kovy from time to time, moreso than not.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

Do you even remember that season? We were rolling 4 dangerous lines that not only scored but played a ridiculously physical game. That year the team dominated the play while this season no one takes the body or works the corners. I think you have it entirely backwards.

The way this years team is playing they will be lucky to make the playoffs, they look that bad.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Man I miss Kovy.

SK was fun to watch, loved seeing him skate a dangle. Good vision too. Sad he was a **** head.

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
Man I miss Kovy.

SK was fun to watch, loved seeing him skate a dangle. Good vision too. Sad he was a **** head.

I had so much hope for SK. I thought he'd be a star. He's one of the biggest disappointment of the last few years for me. So much talent and he had the fire to go with it. I think his biggest problem was being an immature *****.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Need some context. Why was Kovy out on the powerplay in a 6-1 game half way through the third? I know it's the Bruins but it seems like a bit of douchebaggery by coaching.

habscup*

Need some context. Why was Kovy out on the powerplay in a 6-1 game half way through the third? I know it's the Bruins but it seems like a bit of douchebaggery by coaching.

Every team does it. Why was Stamkos on the pp earlier this year when it was 6-1?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It was a strange move. Maybe there was something more to that purse incident. Some people say OB took the fall for a veteran, and huet's name has been tossed around.

I also remember huet's first game against Montreal after being traded. There were multiple players chirping at him throughout the 60mins, and they didn't appear to be exchanging pleasentries.

We all know that the bottom fell out of this dressing room in 2009 with all the off ice issues... Maybe huet was just the tip of the iceberg.

I find that trading huet for a pick when your other 2 goalies were just puppies was bizarre and it had to be more than a hockey move.

Rumor was that Hedberg was on his way here with Hossa.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Every team does it. Why was Stamkos on the pp earlier this year when it was 6-1?

He sure wasn't.....announcers even made a point of praising Cooper for keeping him on the bench. Not to derail the awesomeness that is a drubbing of the Bruins. Just wondering aloud the circumstances of wanting to rub it in.

habscup*

He sure wasn't.....announcers even made a point of praising Cooper for keeping him on the bench. Not to derail the awesomeness that is a drubbing of the Bruins. Just wondering aloud the circumstances of wanting to rub it in.

Pretty sure he was still trying to score and playing regular shifts at the end of the game though... didn't he have a breakaway even after 7-1 when there was 5 min to go?

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
We started 2009 (100th anniversary) season full force but then Robert Lang got hurt.

Still, agree.

Things started to head south after the All star game too. Lang's injury basically sent the team into a downward spiral which included some memorable moments like team bowling and the "darkest day in habs history". I must say thank goodness I wasn't on these boards when this was unfolding. :laugh:

But then the barber pole jerseys happened.

I actually own one of those. :laugh: I wanted the 1915-16 jersey but I couldn't find one at the time.

Montreal-Canadiens-Centennial-191516-Reebok-EDGE-Authentic-NHL-Hockey-Jersey-N7207_XL.jpg

If I'm not mistaken the Habs went 1-1 in those jerseys but nearly lost the game against the Leafs as they blew a 4-2 lead with less then 5 minutes left in the game.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Things started to head south after the All star game too. Lang's injury basically sent the team into a downward spiral which included some memorable moments like team bowling and the "darkest day in habs history". I must say thank goodness I wasn't on these boards when this was unfolding. :laugh:

I actually own one of those. :laugh: I wanted the 1915-16 jersey but I couldn't find one at the time.

Montreal-Canadiens-Centennial-191516-Reebok-EDGE-Authentic-NHL-Hockey-Jersey-N7207_XL.jpg

If I'm not mistaken the Habs went 1-1 in those jerseys but nearly lost the game against the Leafs as they blew a 4-2 lead with less then 5 minutes left in the game.

I own that one and I wish I was able to find a barber pole back then. The blue one was also pretty cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad