TSN: Blashill Officially Red Wings' Head Coach - Granato & Ferschweiler are assistants

Status
Not open for further replies.

loudernow*

Ferschweiler ran the D in the GR, so he actually has 0 experience that I can see running a PP at a pro level.
The GR PP was nothing special. IIRC, it was 13th in the league during the season even while featuring Pulks.
I find it amusing. The only thing missing is the turnover machine Miele to complete Blashhills PP.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Ferschweiler ran the D in the GR, so he actually has 0 experience that I can see running a PP at a pro level.

Jim Hiller had zero experience running a power play at the pro level, too, but the Red Wings finished the season 2nd in PP%.

loudernow*

Jim Hiller had zero experience running a power play at the pro level, too, but the Red Wings finished the season 2nd in PP%.
Hiller had help from Babs. I guess that debunks the theory Wings PP are always bad because of Babs.
When Blash was running the Wings PP it was 23rd.
Blash and Freschwieler together gives me low expectations.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Hiller had help from Babs. I guess that debunks the theory Wings PP are always bad because of Babs.
When Blash was running the Wings PP it was 23rd.
Blash and Freschwieler together gives me low expectations.

seriously? if anything it lends credence to the theory

the Wings powerplay only improved when they made the switch from the system they had used for ages that Babcock stubbornly clung to until last year despite it clearly not working without Lidstrom

the Wings powerplay was 23rd with Blashill running it because Babcock wouldn't let him change things up

same reason the Wings powerplay wasn't very good with Tom Renney running it,and he was fresh off of leading the Oiler's to a 3rd ranked powerplay using a system that probably would have worked pretty well for the Wings but Babcock didn't let him use it

Hiller deserves a lot of credit for somehow convincing Babcock to change things up when someone like Tom Renney couldn't even do it

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
the Wings powerplay only improved when they made the switch from the system they had used for ages that Babcock stubbornly clung to until last year despite it clearly not working without Lidstrom

the Wings powerplay was 23rd with Blashill running it because Babcock wouldn't let him change things up

same reason the Wings powerplay wasn't very good with Tom Renney running it,and he was fresh off of leading the Oiler's to a 3rd ranked powerplay using a system that probably would have worked pretty well for the Wings but Babcock didn't let him use it

Hiller deserves a lot of credit for somehow convincing Babcock to change things up when someone like Tom Renney couldn't even do it

Yeah, during Blashill's assistant coaching season we still used that 2-point-man unit and tried to get Ian White to work there after Rafalski retired. I remember, Edmonton was also using that 1-3-1 on Renney days.

Last season, we changed to 1-3-1 unit (thanks to Jim hiller) with only one man on point, and Blashill/Ferschweiler has been using this same formation at Griffins. So, it's nothing new for them. I'm 100% sure, they will continue with this formation with same players, who already know what do to after the experiment on last season. Abdelkader will be net-front, then Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Nyquist, Kronner on point. Nothing surprising.

Discussion could be if Pulkkinen would be added there as a righty shooter on the left side and put Dats/Zetterberg centre the 2nd unit, but we'll see hot it goes. At last season, with short Babcock experiment, 1st unit was worse with Pulu there, but he also didn't have time a whole training camp to adjust on his teammates like he has at this off-season.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The GR PP was nothing special. IIRC, it was 13th in the league during the season even while featuring Pulks.
I find it amusing. The only thing missing is the turnover machine Miele to complete Blashhills PP.

If that was 13th in the league with the worst team in 3 seasons I dont see that as a bad thing.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If that was 13th in the league with the worst team in 3 seasons I dont see that as a bad thing.

13th with 17.0% efficiency, when top teams had just a little bit over 20%.

At the playoffs, Griffins power-play was 4th best with 24.2% and best of the final TOP4 teams.

One season ago at 2013-14, it was 7th best with 20.2% efficiency.

I can't see any totally bad things in here.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I was going to make a snarky post asking which coach these announcements identified so that we could start blaming the correct one for whenever something started going sideways with the team, looked up and saw that people were already blaming coaches for things, sighed, and typed this.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
13th with 17.0% efficiency, when top teams had just a little bit over 20%.

At the playoffs, Griffins power-play was 4th best with 24.2% and best of the final TOP4 teams.

One season ago at 2013-14, it was 7th best with 20.2% efficiency.

I can't see any totally bad things in here.

wonder what that looks like with Nyquist or Tatar

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks that coaching, more than anything, is just luck of the draw?

There is pretty much zero way to decide one way or the other how Blash and co. pan out. Does no one remember when Quenneville was a guy that couldn't get a team over the hump? When Keenan was respected? When Tortorella was a brash championship coach?

Come on. We just saw the reigning Stanley Cup champ coach flounder in the face of adversity. Blash could be the next Bowman or the next Eakins.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It's after the fact reasoning. Same reason why people say Joe Thornton isn't a winner, as thought it's some immutable characteristic of his that prevents him from winning the Cup.

Jonathan Toews is a "winner" but if he played for the Florida Panthers or the Edmonton Oilers I guarantee he has 0 cups right now. Coaches aren't any different in that regard. You can be a fantastic coach, but unless you have the tools to win on your team, there's only so much you can do. This isn't an individual effort thing. Hockey is, almost more than any other sport, a team sport.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's after the fact reasoning. Same reason why people say Joe Thornton isn't a winner, as thought it's some immutable characteristic of his that prevents him from winning the Cup.

Jonathan Toews is a "winner" but if he played for the Florida Panthers or the Edmonton Oilers I guarantee he has 0 cups right now. Coaches aren't any different in that regard. You can be a fantastic coach, but unless you have the tools to win on your team, there's only so much you can do. This isn't an individual effort thing. Hockey is, almost more than any other sport, a team sport.

I don't really think this comparison works, personally.

Yes, Toews would have 0 Cups on the Panthers. Absolutely, without a doubt. But not all players step up at big moments or big games, even if they are equally skilled.

And coaches just aren't on the ice at all. So you can motivate someone to death, but you can't make them score or not when the puck comes on their stick. Agree with your closing statement.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I don't know why there's such a big debate over the assistant coaches. The players that lead the power play and penalty kill have been doing this for a long time, and even the newer players have had great coaching at the pro level. The players know what they're doing. If these two can come in and teach them a thing here and there then terrific. But I don't see a marginal change positively or negatively coming from coaching, but possibly rather from growth and decline in the players.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
Not sure if this is posted already. http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/06/nhl_free_agency_red_wings_seek.html

Their top two lines when healthy are Pavel Datsyuk (who might miss the start of the season following ankle surgery) centering Henrik Zetterberg and Justin Abdelkader and Riley Sheahan centering Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Tatar.

New coach Jeff Blashill will put Luke Glendening and Darren Helm together to form a checking line, possibly with Tomas Jurco.

That leaves Joakim Andersson centering the fourth line with Drew Miller and either Teemu Pulkkinen or Landon Ferraro.

Johan Franzen's status is murky due to his most recent concussion, but if he's cleared he gives the team another top-six option with scoring ability and size. The Red Wings might sign Daniel Cleary, but he won't be on their roster.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Our latest coachnig changes:

From 1989-90 season --> 1990-91 season
Jacques Demers 80p --> Bryan Murray 76p

From 1992-93 season --> 1993-94 season
Bryan Murray 103p --> Scotty Bowman 100p

From 2001-02 season --> 2002-03 season
Scotty Bowman 116p --> Dave Lewis 110p

From 2003-04 season --> 2005-06 season
Dave Lewis 109p --> Mike Babcock 124p

From 2014-15 season --> 2015-16 season
Mike Babcock 100p --> Jeff Blashill ???

That Babcock impact was huge, but there was a lockout and total rebuild in between. It just looks that when you change the coach, the team's overall level has been quite stable after the change.

If the core won't change, the results won't either. Between 2004 to 2005 the core changed most, and that was the biggest gap between seasons in any coaching change.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Right move was to swap for that 1-3-1 setup from 2-point-man units. It has looked superior setup after the blue line was moved further to make more space at offensive zone.

That is the key to continue good power-play, no matter who PP coach is. We have same players +Green who know how to go. Just get the right personnel on the ice, good things will happen.

------- 1.Abdelkader (net-front)
------- 2.Sheahan (net-front)

Nyquist(L) --- Zeta(L) --- Tatar(L)
Pulkkinen(R) - Richards(L) - Jurco(L)

----------- Kronwall (L)
------------ Green (R)

If Datsyuk or Franzen comes back, Jurco will drop out. Forwards outside the PP, will go to PK units (Glendening, Miller, Helm, Andersson/Ferraro)

Aug 6, 2012
As long as they stay away from that abysmal point shot strategy that they utilized before Hiller they should be fine. We have tons of players who are good when given space. Let them work the puck down low and towards the net and good things will happen

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Right move was to swap for that 1-3-1 setup from 2-point-man units. It has looked superior setup after the blue line was moved further to make more space at offensive zone.

That is the key to continue good power-play, no matter who PP coach is. We have same players +Green who know how to go. Just get the right personnel on the ice, good things will happen.

------- 1.Abdelkader (net-front)
------- 2.Sheahan (net-front)

Nyquist(L) --- Zeta(L) --- Tatar(L)
Pulkkinen(R) - Richards(L) - Jurco(L)

----------- Kronwall (L)
------------ Green (R)

If Datsyuk or Franzen comes back, Jurco will drop out. Forwards outside the PP, will go to PK units (Glendening, Miller, Helm, Andersson/Ferraro)

Would like to see Smith and Green together on the back end. Put Jurco out of the PP, shift Pulkkinen to the right handed shot with Krownall who tees up one times well, slide Tatar into Jurco's spot where he and Green are trigger men.

We will see though, no shortage of options. I am hopeful Smith will get a look at PP time with Blashill in charge though. Richards also has a big history of playing the back-end so curious what they will do.

Also separating Tatar and Nyquist until Datsyuk is back gives us a forward good at gaining the zone on each unit. Green should help and if Smith does play he is very good at getting through the neutral zone. But I worry about the three forwards you just listed gaining the zone with control a lot, it would be up to a slower footed Richards a lot there. While his puck skills are good, having a guy to push them back at the line would be an adjustment I would like to see in terms of what you listed.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We will see though, no shortage of options. I am hopeful Smith will get a look at PP time with Blashill in charge though. Richards also has a big history of playing the back-end so curious what they will do.

This Smith-thing has been wishful thinking for a while. I think Blashill or not, they will try Kindl first there to rebound his trade value. Blash has talked also using Smith on the PP, but there's no free spots. I really like this 1-3-1 formation and going with 4 forwards. It just puts shot-handed team 4-man box already as a basic formation for so much tougher starting position. Also, when going with 8 forwards, then everybody has either special teams job, Kronwall maybe is only player who plays both.

There's no 2-man on the point anymore, no any reason for that. Zetterberg and Richards will be the playmakers on the right, there's also no sense to use a defenceman like Smith there, even though he has a good one-timer. There has to be more tools than one-timer on this spot, idea is to play it near of the goal by passing. It will need skill, and that's why it's reasonable to go with extra forwards. Our defenceman just don't have enough skill, it's a fact.

And Pulkkinen will take the spot on the left (which Richards and Zetterberg play on the right side). Other guy used on the left has been usually our best playmaker like Datsyuk, because of the missing handnesses, and Nyquist has been the secondary option. Only mismatched spot, lefties on the left but that's what we got on the roster. Too bad they traded Järnkrok...

Don't think it's reasonable slot Green on the left side as righty (the same spot as Pulkkinen), I think he should be the main man on the point like Kronwall. It isn't an easy job to handle without mistakes and Green's point shot is so good and he has huge experience from past years. Jurco goes in the middle of the box in real formations, same spot as Tatar plays at 1st unit. hunts for tip-ins, rebounds and short-side one-timers. Would be also interesting see Pulkkinen in the middle and shoot that deadly one-timer from short-distances. :naughty: Maybe that will happen when Pavel comes back. Re-unite Dats and Hull... I mean... Pulkkinen again. :)

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Our latest coachnig changes:

From 1989-90 season --> 1990-91 season
Jacques Demers 80p --> Bryan Murray 76p

From 1992-93 season --> 1993-94 season
Bryan Murray 103p --> Scotty Bowman 100p

From 2001-02 season --> 2002-03 season
Scotty Bowman 116p --> Dave Lewis 110p

From 2003-04 season --> 2005-06 season
Dave Lewis 109p --> Mike Babcock 124p

From 2014-15 season --> 2015-16 season
Mike Babcock 100p --> Jeff Blashill ???

That Babcock impact was huge, but there was a lockout and total rebuild in between. It just looks that when you change the coach, the team's overall level has been quite stable after the change.

If the core won't change, the results won't either. Between 2004 to 2005 the core changed most, and that was the biggest gap between seasons in any coaching change.

But Babcock overachieved with this core, no way they even sniff 80 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad