Confirmed with Link: Blashill Gone!

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
If Edvinsson is your 1LD and Ned is your 1G, you're not a playoff team.
How so? Ned had some bad games for sure but when he's on he's on. Still managed 4 shutouts somehow and they weren't 20 shots against. Also we had Seider as a #1 and the best after that would be lucky to be top4 aside from maybe Hronek and that's iffy. Edvinsson may very well come in and be just as good as Seider and if that does happen along with a free agent signing, Ned will have an actually defense playing in front of him he's been with the team for a season to get his feet wet and now we have new goalie coach coming in as well. Could go either way but my thought is Yzerman knows what he is doing and has a plan, if we surprised this year that was one thing but as Blashill as a coach still the blame could be shifted there. Next year however with the amount of players signed, cap space, rookies, new coaches, now we can see if he really is as good as everyone says. If you look at it he pretty much has an expansion team with a core or larkin, bert,vrana,seider,raymond and a bunch of cap space plus some prospects already waiting ti come over and 10 more picks this year. Literally anything can happen. It's the closest to a clean slate as you can get or am i missing something?

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Remember when everyone wanted Blashill. At one point I was on board with getting rid of him but the reality he had the team competing with inferior talent.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I called for this during the season and was disappointed something wasn't done sooner but this was 100% the right call. There was very little player development. I do like the idea of David Carle as our next coach, He's young but he's done a phenomenal job as a college hockey coach. I like keeping Tanguay, so overall today is a good day for the future of the Red Wings. I do feel bad for Blashill but he's proven he can coach at lower levels so he should have no problem finding another job.

Onward!

Reactions: golffuul

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
How are we going to lose the young players we have? They are locked into contract. One more losing year for a generational talent is worth it..

I think intentionally tanking for a 7th straight season, hoping to then win a lottery and then immediately turning the ship 180 degrees around is an unlikely recipe for keeping young stars committed long term to your franchise.

With or without JB we will still be a bottom 10 team next season, but improvements must be made

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
How so? Ned had some bad games for sure but when he's on he's on. Still managed 4 shutouts somehow and they weren't 20 shots against. Also we had Seider as a #1 and the best after that would be lucky to be top4 aside from maybe Hronek and that's iffy. Edvinsson may very well come in and be just as good as Seider and if that does happen along with a free agent signing, Ned will have an actually defense playing in front of him he's been with the team for a season to get his feet wet and now we have new goalie coach coming in as well. Could go either way but my thought is Yzerman knows what he is doing and has a plan, if we surprised this year that was one thing but as Blashill as a coach still the blame could be shifted there. Next year however with the amount of players signed, cap space, rookies, new coaches, now we can see if he really is as good as everyone says. If you look at it he pretty much has an expansion team with a core or larkin, bert,vrana,seider,raymond and a bunch of cap space plus some prospects already waiting ti come over and 10 more picks this year. Literally anything can happen. It's the closest to a clean slate as you can get or am i missing something?
Ned didn't just have bad games.
He had a bad season - and a horrendous second half.

Counting on Edvinsson to be Seider? Come on, man. First of all, Seider played in Detroit in his D+3 season - not D+2
Seider D+2 in SHL: 41 games 7-21-28
Edvinsson D+2 in SHL: 44 games 2-17-19

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I don't think Blashill was as bad as some around here do, but this is a welcome change nonetheless. With this team about to undergo a massive turnover over the next couple seasons with prospects and other additions coming into the fold, a fresh voice should do some good. Yzerman has an excellent track record of front office/coaching hires (Brisebois and Cooper to name a couple) so I'm really looking forward to seeing who he brings in, and what direction they'll take the team in. I believe the true Yzerman era is just around the corner. He's just been laying a foundation so far, soon he'll pivot towards building up.

Reactions: TKB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad