Blake Wheeler tells reporter to **** off when asked about elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I like this. I wish hockey players would show far more emotion in off ice interviews. Winnipeg actually played quite well in this series, but just got beat by a surging team. Wheeler has every right to feel this way, and I have zero problem with him expressing actual emotion. So many hockey players just come across like dolts with zero personality, spewing the same hockey cliches. The lack of personality really takes away from the game. Many of the players have so much personality. I don't know why they feel like they have to censor themselves so much.

Wheeler might want to avoid actual expletives, as very young kids might be watching, but his statement overall was pretty appropriate.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Good for Wheeler. Not wild about the language, but zero problem with this response after a very disrespectfully worded question.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I doubt he was mad about the question he was probably already mad about losing and the question he didn't like probably just made him snap a bit.

Not that big a deal. Happens. Shouldn't really happen with a captain but its not that big a deal.

I don't really care about the response, it just seems weird to me. His response make it seems like he was happy with how they played, how they competed, and its "a hard cup to win" .. but without watching the game and just the stat sheet it seemed like they played not so good?

Reactions: EdJovanovski

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't really care about the response, it just seems weird to me. His response make it seems like he was happy with how they played, how they competed, and its "a hard cup to win" .. but without watching the game and just the stat sheet it seemed like they played not so good?

He's not going to say they mailed it in as captain of the team and throw everybody under the bus. Thats something you do internally.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't see the big deal, but as per usual reporters always blow these things out of proportion.

It's not even bad, could say it's disrespectful but I think the reporter lit the fire.

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
Good for him. He's a human being and sometimes it is impossible to contain your emotions.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Blake wheeler is very cool and one of my favorite personalities in the league. Wish we had more blakes.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Id be pretty mad too if my team just shit the bed like that

wont get any easier for Winnipeg either, this and last year was supposed to be their year for the best chance with how their cap is situated

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Dude was pissed. He knows the Jets should have won this series, they were bad and didn't play to their potential. He's super angry and bitter and I can't blame him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean if you think there's anything wrong with that, I'm sorry PC culture has gotten to you.
When the reporter straight up says/implies that you didn't give your best effort, I'd be ticked too. You're not playing a golf course, you're playing an opponent who can adjust and counter what you are trying to do.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I mean if you think there's anything wrong with that, I'm sorry PC culture has gotten to you.
He’s the captain. There’s an expected level of professionalism. He represents the organization and is the leader on the team. Kids look to him for inspiration. It’s a bad look no matter what.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The title is misleading. I read it as Wheeler uttered the expletive and left it at that either walking off or not answering further questions.

Yeah a slip of an F bomb isn't super professional but reread that question.

If anyone wants to kick him off the Jets for his perceived "lack of professionalism" then I would gladly give him a home in Vancouver. And I'm sure the 29 other teams in the league would too.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Seems out of character and completely unnecessary. People are going to question the leaders of the team when the team plays an egg like they did in the third the other night.

I'm not offended.. profanity only has power because people give it power. But, telling someone to **** off is personal and crosses the line. I'm glad he answered the question. It was an appropriate question....

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Yeah, not showing very great leadership. The question wasn't even bad.

The way the reporter put it was every inch of bullshit and got exactly the reaction it deserved. Good for Wheeler.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Some journalists are just such pretentious douchebags.

You just know theres a Steve Simmons or Dave Feschuk waiting to get Auston Matthews or JT on camera snapping at a snide question they asked. It's like a badge of honour for those vultures, being able to piss off a pro athlete or kick them while they're down.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
That is the type of 'F--- Off that's a 'dismissive towards the question F--- Off'... as opposed to the the aggressive 'Hey reporter you F--- Off' type of F--- Off...

Like replacing the dismissive phrase "Get outta here with that nonsense"..

Reactions: Peanut Butter

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I mean, why not just make yourself unavailable for comments?

Every question asked by reporters is pretty much just paraphrasing that one.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The way the reporter put it was every inch of bull**** and got exactly the reaction it deserved. Good for Wheeler.
In my opinion, if the team puts that effort out in an elimination game, they deserve to be called out for it and it's the captain's duty to be professional. If he cannot do that, others can do that part.

It definitely wasn't their best effort when it should have been, that's an issue they should face and fix, not sweep under the carpet. There's a great tendency to avoid responsibility on that team, by the people who should be bearing said responsibility.

MasochisticHamster

Nov 5, 2017
Winnipeg
I wouldn't have a problem with it if Wheeler had anything to show for it. A schism is opening up between the vets and the youth on the team and it is mostly because of the total lack of accountability on Wheelers part, among other Jets. Ehlers or Laine play badly? Down to the third line, as they should. 2 minute shifts from Scheifele and Wheeler that costs goals against? Nothing.

This would be fine if Wheeler was leading the team as well as he should, but he isn't. He just comes of as petulant. He may not have showed up for game 6, but at least he showed up to get upset with a reporter. Bet that he'll still be playing 22 minutes a night next year no matter what he says to reporters. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad