Waived: Blackhawks Waive LW Jiri Sekac

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Imagine if our 2011 draft had gone Connor Murphy Richard Rakell Viktor Rask or Nikita Kucherov...then Saad instead of our picks McNeill Danault Clendening the Saad? OR maybe we would have taken a goalie at #36 instead of Clendening ...So what if we took Murphy Rakell Gibson then Saad? IF we had Gibson Maybe CC Would be traded for cap savings leading to other options? OR what of we just went all forwards? Rakell Namestikov Rask or Kucherov then Saad who all other GMS had avoided and only Stan riled on at #43 because he attributed Saad's poor play in the 2nd half of his draft year to lingering effects from his injury ...even though ceres to play Saad did not play as well as he did prior to injury and so many GMS thought if he was playing again he was at full capability to play..I guess only Stan had a hunch the effects lingered to impede him and so scouts did not view the real potential in Saad in those 2nd half viewings. Even so Stan was not quite certain of his hunch so he did not take the risk on Saad (who played so poorly even I said avoid him like everyone else ) until that 4 3rd pick and probably only gambled that because he was so thrilled with his first 3 picks (all 3 of which I did not like ) and coukd gamble with the 4th selection at that relatively late #43 dot.

ANYWAY looking at what we coukd have drafted and what we did get..we pretty well botched that draft in my opinion.

We botched it? 3/4 have played more than a few games in the NHL and 2 of the those players are everyday players in the NHL as of today. Not sure if you know this but making it to the NHL is not easy and projecting 18 year old talent is hard. You comment is hilarious because most analyst list Bowman as a top drafting GM but yet some rubes say he is bad? He 100% has some misses but jesus HFboards would be the best GMs EVER is we could redraft 3-4 years later.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
You can literally cherry pick every team at every draft and find players they should have drafted. Theres no point to that.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Of course you can look back at drafts knowing what we know now and make claims like hawksfan50 did. Drafts are a crapshoot when they're actually happening. Hindsight 20/20. Looking back and saying "we could have had [name]" is useless.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
It is also interesting he chose a draft in which we drafted 5 current regular NHL players/1 All-Star as a "botched" draft. That's generally called a home run...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It is kind of crazy to look at the draft orders a few years later.
Some of these guys go so late, and seeing them now its like HOW

I still look at the first three picks the Habs made in the 2007 draft (McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban) and go HOW (even though the first of those three picks are gone).

But, it just shows drafts are a crapshoot. It's insane to look back and go "we could have had so-and-so".

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Datsyuk one of the last picks of the 6th round (171 overall). The list goes on and on. According to fiddys theory every GM has botched every draft ever.

Xinji

Apr 27, 2014
Love looking at the top players in the league now and when they were drafted. Just goes to show giving up a 1st/2nd rounder isn't always the end of the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad