Waived: Blackhawks Waive LW Jiri Sekac

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The way I saw it the main fault was Toews ...feeble waive of stick at the puck is NOT good checking with purpose or urgency ..he d9d not accelerate with max speed exertion...more like a saunter..then did N9T engage physically but feebly waived his stick..it was a futile "effort" ...puck stayed in...did not get out. .that was the MAIN FAIL leading to disaster. ..once I saw Toews and his lousy attempt at a professional check..I knew once the puck stayed on a goal was going to result...you could see it coming right from that putrid effort ..And so I blame Toews as the primal cause...yes ...Shaw should have cover supported better ..but still you are asking g fir trouble if your 1C fails in his role to get that puck out ...especially a 1C paid $10.5 million...and lauded for his 2-way play..Well.in 5 his instance he let the team down with less than 200% effort to ensure that puck did not stay in our zone...50% efforts like that defines Country Clubbing...brain fats like what grunt Shaw did are bad...but not giving it 100% when you are capable of it if only you had tge want to be desperate enough to won the race on loose pucks and win the battle to possessor and clear it rather than lose the possession and let the attack on our bet proceed..clearly Toews take the main blame ..if h3 does that minimum checking effort in playoffs they can add all the rentals they can afford and it will not make a hill of beans.Of TT had been the culprit at C not hustling to ensure it gets out ,Q would be benching him.ne t game ..or demanding Stan trade him..But it is the Machu Picchu guy
.and he makes $10.5 mill 9n the cap..so instead they give him the x-finity high flying Hawk of the game award?The culprit gets the accolades....typical Country Club.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
This is nonsense.

Bollig absolutely cost us, because int he WCF, playing a team that was running 4 lines, the Blackhawks were running 3 while Bollig, Handzus and Versteeg were stapled to the bench because they were - as everybody not named Joel Quenneville clearly saw during the regular season - completely useless.

Yes, Handzus was the worst example by virtue of his place in the lineup, but the notion that playing a weaker lineup at the fringes of the core is irrelevant is utter garbage. It's a parity league. Every position matters. Every 1% difference in lineup strength matters. Opting to play less talented players or refusing to even explore the possibilities of every player on your roster is straight up negligence.

And that was a team depth issue, not specifically related to Bollig. Everyone here was exploding everywhere when Regin got carried by Kane for a couple games and making it like he was the godsend to save the fourth line. And he played a total of four NHL games afterwards and is now in Finland.

Bad player A playing six minutes per night because he's a scrub makes zero difference between slightly worse player B playing six minutes per night. You could put Sekac and Mashinter out there in the same role for 82 games and it might be worth a quarter of a win, if that. With the benefit of getting an extra $125K or so to get a real NHL'er (unlike both Sekac and Mashinter), this isn't much of a choice.

When Handzus died at some point in the middle of the LA series and was clearly unable to play 15 mins per night anymore and was a better fit at...0 minutes, that was an actual issue since there was no one left to step up and take on those minutes.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
And that was a team depth issue, not specifically related to Bollig. Everyone here was exploding everywhere when Regin got carried by Kane for a couple games and making it like he was the godsend to save the fourth line. And he played a total of four NHL games afterwards and is now in Finland.

Bad player A playing six minutes per night because he's a scrub makes zero difference between slightly worse player B playing six minutes per night. You could put Sekac and Mashinter out there in the same role for 82 games and it might be worth a quarter of a win, if that. With the benefit of getting an extra $125K or so to get a real NHL'er (unlike both Sekac and Mashinter), this isn't much of a choice.

When Handzus died at some point in the middle of the LA series and was clearly unable to play 15 mins per night anymore and was a better fit at...0 minutes, that was an actual issue since there was no one left to step up and take on those minutes.

In 8:42 of ice time Brandon Bollig lost game two of the 2013 cup.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Sekac vs Panik

When it comes playoff time, I would rather have Panik. More grit, showed well in the playoffs for Tampa. Better defensively----better bottom lines energy. Hate giving Garbutt away for free, it is what it is.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Garbutt had 3-4 times the opportunities created compared to Mash, so again you are wrong and living in you fantasy land where your whipping boys are bad. Sekac is a much more functional player because he can skate well and plays just as hard. FYI they are both cheap.

999 times out of 1000 you take Garbutt over Mash.

Wrong. EVERY ****ING TIME

zac

Apr 29, 2009
That's team speak. Bollig was a liability and we lost the game as a direct result.

Don't tell me fourth liners don't matter.

We won some games almost solely because of our 4th line last year. Having a great 4th line, especially if they can shut people down like ours did last year, is extremely useful. It also saves your more talented players from having some of those tougher match-ups.

Having Mash in this lineup is pointless. He sucks and we have much better options. That should always be the issue. Is this your BEST option?

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
There are certain guys people hope are hidden gems (Panik and Sekac) who have never done anything. Other teams discard them for a reason. Guys like Mashinter are whipped on unfairly because on the surface they don't look to have great skill, speed. Should Mashinter be on the playoff roster? No. Has he been better than Sekac and Panik? Yes. Mashinter plays hard and has made some plays. The guy has been paired with Rasmussen, Panik, Sekac. To me he has been better then all of those guys. It doesn't mean I want the guy out there come playoff time but I will give him some credit, he has not been bad. Actually been one of the better 4th liners this season (aint sayin much...)

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Sekac is not at the top of the list of players that should be demoted to make room for Laad.

Any of the following would be better options:

Mashinter
Hino
Ras

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Sekac is not at the top of the list of players that should be demoted to make room for Laad.

Any of the following would be better options:

Mashinter
Hino
Ras

Hino is down already. And Mash and Ras make far less than Sekac. It's all about cap room right now by the looks of it.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Thought he played pretty well last night. He never really got a fair shake IMO.

I thought Q lowered the BOOM on Cakes last night in his presser.

Most fans thought ok he had a good game since he made a nice pass, moves fast.

He gave a mad "he was ok" to the question "your thoughts on sakac tonight". I was like wow, that was harsh. i thought he runs around and away from the puck he isn't in the right spot.

Anyway, I always posted he is garb and a little step down from panic, who isn't much better, but is a bit better.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
There are certain guys people hope are hidden gems (Panik and Sekac) who have never done anything. Other teams discard them for a reason. Guys like Mashinter are whipped on unfairly because on the surface they don't look to have great skill, speed. Should Mashinter be on the playoff roster? No. Has he been better than Sekac and Panik? Yes. Mashinter plays hard and has made some plays. The guy has been paired with Rasmussen, Panik, Sekac. To me he has been better then all of those guys. It doesn't mean I want the guy out there come playoff time but I will give him some credit, he has not been bad. Actually been one of the better 4th liners this season (aint sayin much...)

So let me get this straight. Hawks have no good 4th liners. Mash is the best of the lot, yet he shouldn't be playing. Hmmmm, so according to you, either Stan has a lot of work to do in a very short time or Q will be forced to play 3 lines in the PO's else Hawks are cooked. Right?.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
So let me get this straight. Hawks have no good 4th liners. Mash is the best of the lot, yet he shouldn't be playing. Hmmmm, so according to you, either Stan has a lot of work to do in a very short time or Q will be forced to play 3 lines in the PO's else Hawks are cooked. Right?.

Sort of. With Ladd, Hossa, and Kruger playing in the playoffs that's 3 players we don't have. That eliminates the current 4th line, unless there are more then 3 players on a line. I would probably play Panik over Mash if it came to it in the playoffs but yes I think Mash has been better then Panik for the most part.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Damn.

Sekac would have been a good, cheap, depth winger for us next season.

Ah well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad