GDT: Blackhawks vs Coyotes - 6:00CT, NBCSCH - How About 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
It’s painful watching Schmaltz out there buzzing and being so dangerous, fast, aggressive, great passer, just a complete player while Strome can barely keep up with plays skating like a turtle. You can clearly see Schmaltzy is the one that carries lines while Strome playing with one of best players in the league and one of the best young snipers in the league is being mostly just feeding off of them. Imagine Schmaltz with Cat and Kane, that line would be insanely fast and dangerous.

Reactions: BobbyJet

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
If there's anything to take away from Schmaltz is that it's clear Arizona is getting him to commit parts of his game that didn't exist when he was in Chicago.

And those parts of his game are things Strome could take a lesson from.

Reactions: BrianE

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
If there's anything to take away from Schmaltz is that it's clear Arizona is getting him to commit parts of his game that didn't exist when he was in Chicago.

And those parts of his game are things Strome could take a lesson from.

I'm just wondering, and this is only speculation. When Panarin was with Kane he had this infatuation to pass first to Kane, same with Schmaltz but of course he can't do that because he's not here. Strome is doing the same thing many times, putting his focus on passing to Kane before anything. I don't blame a player that has this mindset but maybe it's a little overboard? I mean if you can get the puck to Kane magic does happen many a time.

These things remind me of the supposed reason why Phil Esposito was traded away from Hawks, my dad said that Bobby Hull told him "listen Phil, i want you to look for me and your job is to pass the puck to me and i will finish" Now honestly i have never heard if this is factual but my dad said back then everyone knew this to be the case regarding Bobby saying that to Phil. Guess Phil didn't like it and we know what happened, an awful trade that really cost this club and maybe some more cups?

The season after Gretzky left Oil especially during the pp an Oil player would carry it over the blueline and mass confusion happened. Foley & Tallon said because it was number 99 that would drive the play and carry the puck. A season or two after things changed and they figured it out and won another cup.

No i'm not comparing Schmaltz to Gretzky or Espo but he seems to be doing pretty good without Kane.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I'm just wondering, and this is only speculation. When Panarin was with Kane he had this infatuation to pass first to Kane, same with Schmaltz but of course he can't do that because he's not here. Strome is doing the same thing many times, putting his focus on passing to Kane before anything. I don't blame a player that has this mindset but maybe it's a little overboard? I mean if you can get the puck to Kane magic does happen many a time.

These things remind me of the supposed reason why Phil Esposito was traded away from Hawks, my dad said that Bobby Hull told him "listen Phil, i want you to look for me and your job is to pass the puck to me and i will finish" Now honestly i have never heard if this is factual but my dad said back then everyone knew this to be the case regarding Bobby saying that to Phil. Guess Phil didn't like it and we know what happened, an awful trade that really cost this club and maybe some more cups?

The season after Gretzky left Oil especially during the pp an Oil player would carry it over the blueline and mass confusion happened. Foley & Tallon said because it was number 99 that would drive the play and carry the puck. A season or two after things changed and they figured it out and won another cup.

No i'm not comparing Schmaltz to Gretzky or Espo but he seems to be doing pretty good without Kane.

I think that's why Kane has done well with less players who just play a simple and aggressive game. More skilled players inevitably end up getting thrown off their game while playing with Kane because it seems they're unnecessarily trying to do some fancy things they see Kane doing.

Guys like Versteeg, Bickell, Saad, Handzus (lol) just played their game knowing they can't do all the fancy shit.

Kane basically plays best with low-end second liners/third liners who play simple games. It's weird.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore

Well, when the option is at least 5% open Strome likes to defer to Kane or whomever else. IMO, the biggest issue with Strome/Kane is that Strome sees his own game as a roving skilled center who hangs around the slot and wants to be first out of the zone in the D end.

And, the past few games it's been Kane winning all the battles down low on that line. So you have the best hands in the league now playing a hard game rather than being the guy who hangs out.

It's not good form.

I want to see Cat/Toews/Kane (assuming Toews keeps up his play from the last game or two) then Saad/Strome/Kubalik.

That way Strome will have the kind of guys who can grind for him and the top line can be less predictable.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Well, when the option is at least 5% open Strome likes to defer to Kane or whomever else. IMO, the biggest issue with Strome/Kane is that Strome sees his own game as a roving skilled center who hangs around the slot and wants to be first out of the zone in the D end.

And, the past few games it's been Kane winning all the battles down low on that line. So you have the best hands in the league now playing a hard game rather than being the guy who hangs out.

It's not good form.

I want to see Cat/Toews/Kane (assuming Toews keeps up his play from the last game or two) then Saad/Strome/Kubalik.

That way Strome will have the kind of guys who can grind for him and the top line can be less predictable.

Yup. Said it before but Kane plays his best with a big bodied winger who can open the ice for him to do his thing. Strome plays his best when he has a winger who does more of the dirty work or is more of a 2 way beast (Raddysh was this in junior when he, Strome and DeBrincat were lighting it up) Marian Hossa/Mark Stone would've been the absolute perfect winger for Strome and DeBrincat but alas.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

optional practice (again) and the coaching staff had to participate because not enough people showed up...if only this team had a captain to rally the troops...but he's dealt with a lot of travel lately so I guess he gets a pass

JFC ....... i wish this freaking coach maintain one standard and stick to it. the team had a recent success with going back to pre Q workouts.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Probably not a surprise to anyone, but I was dipping into advanced stats and De Haan is our best offensive defenseman while Murphy is our best shutdown defender.

So they're actually our "top pairing". Keith is the 3rd best defender on the roster.

Gus is our biggest defensive liability (duh). The stats are atrocious. Even Seabs is doing better.

Maatta isn't really doing anything for the team. Decent chance he gets bought out in the offseason.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Actually, Bobby Hull was quite upset that Espo was traded away and that it was a myth that it was Hull who made him. I recall Espo's numbers weren't that great in Chicago but he was just getting started and Hull knew it - those numbers certainly exploded in Boston, and for years to come.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

optional practice (again) and the coaching staff had to participate because not enough people showed up...if only this team had a captain to rally the troops...but he's dealt with a lot of travel lately so I guess he gets a pass

How about the coach doesn't make them optional?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Probably not a surprise to anyone, but I was dipping into advanced stats and De Haan is our best offensive defenseman while Murphy is our best shutdown defender.

So they're actually our "top pairing". Keith is the 3rd best defender on the roster.

Gus is our biggest defensive liability (duh). The stats are atrocious. Even Seabs is doing better.

Maatta isn't really doing anything for the team. Decent chance he gets bought out in the offseason.

He’s not getting bought out, that was just a needless trade to begin with. He’s here till his contract is done or traded for nothing back in return or most likely a cap dump, the per usual.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
He’s not getting bought out, that was just a needless trade to begin with. He’s here till his contract is done or traded for nothing back in return or most likely a cap dump, the per usual.

How do you know that? The contract is setup for a relatively easy and painless buyout.

If a trade can be made, that's obviously better than a buyout though.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

Who in the world could have guessed this? I'll be waiting for my apology from certain posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad