GDT: Blackhawks vs Coyotes - 6:00CT, NBCSCH - How About 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Yeah ... apologies the too many posts ...
Read GDT after the fun all over.
Too many Likes, too many Reply To-s ...
Hey, I blame you guys. ;-)
Too much acumen, too many LOLs ...

We'll get 2 in VGK,
What happens in Vegas, 2 points leaves from Vegas (or something like that.)

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
If you can't admit that both of those moves are filthy, you're completely blind...

Dude, bad form come in a room & talk dirt.
You guys a good thing going - impressive HC, scary good net tandem, team speed, & Hjalmarsson on the mend.
Too, I like cheering xHawks and you guys a bunch. Schmaltz coming into his own cool to see.
So don't be a do*che, act like you been there before ...

GG Yotes.
Seeya Thursday in the desert.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
There's no way you can argue Lehner hasn't won us at least 4-6 games that 75%+ of starting goalies in the league would not win if in net.
I've seen teams change goalies in international tournaments for shootouts. Is this done at all in the NHL?

It's also not uncommon in soccer games that teams change to the backup goalie for penalties.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
I've seen teams change goalies in international tournaments for shootouts. Is this done at all in the NHL?

It's also not uncommon in soccer games that teams change to the backup goalie for penalties.
Never seen it happen in the NHL. Bet its only happened a handful of times

Reactions: nihlify

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Firing JC won’t do anything at this point. Effort. Play hard. That’s it. We did good tonight but they couldn’t close the door. Kept letting them back in the game. That’s on the players. Period.
Hawks did good for one period. They spent a good chunk of the second on the pk and simply got out in 2nd and 3rd.

Reactions: LDF

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Tired of Dach barely getting any ice time,
Tired of seeing Murphy on for the 3 on 3
Why are Seabrook and Gus on at the same time late in a tie game?
47 SOG against vs. ARZ, unf***ingbelievable.

This team blows.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Hawks were the better team at even strength (more scoring chances for and more even strength goals). Not their fault they couldn't get a whistle to save their ass.
Did you watch the 3rd period? The Hawks were outplayed badly in the third which was mostly 5:5

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I know they aren't a playoff team. Just weird you immediately follow 'hawks aren't a playoff team' with some comment about shootout points getting teams into playoffs. o_O

What's weird about it? The comment was simple. Points matter. Points against WC teams matter more.

Automatically losing that extra point in the SO matters - could be the difference in a playoff spot or not.

Again, they aren't mutually exclusive. I don't think the Hawks are a playoff team. That said, there are at least a half dozen bubble teams each season and if oftentimes comes down to 2 or 3 points. Hence, shootout points matter. OT points matter. All points matter.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
A mystery. Ice Hog highlights he looks more than ready. Gets up here and ... it just doesn't happen for the guy.
Maybe gotta bring his brother w/ him. I'm not kidding. Seems every goal Dylan nets, set up by Tyler. Not even exaggerating either.

He wouldn't be the 1st kid to be awesome in the A but can't put 2 and 2 together and come up with a number less than 23 at the NHL level.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I have one complaint regarding the game and until pundits. They were saying Gilbert should not have done that and others disagreed. But what was NOT focused on was Toews' turnover on I believe the 1st goal when he had plenty of open ice and time. That led directly to the goal.

Another observation are D zone exits. Seems like the D hold on a second too long. Is this because the F are not in position or the D shining too much? Most every other team is quicker than we are.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Actually there's more to it, IMO. Lehner is not a reflex goalie. His strength is playing the angles and when the player is allowed time he can change those angles in an instant. Crawford is the same type of netminder and to an extent has the same issues but has adapted better than Lehner.

Definitely. As Lehner said himself, when the shooters can slow down, they have the advantage on him. Obviously, that is because they can get in close, make fast moves and hide their release.

It’s not mental. Sure, he isn’t going into the shootouts with confidence and that is a hindrance. But it isn’t the problem. Nobody can just decide, ok, time to start being more confident. It has to come from a change to his game that actually results in improvement. Then he can start building confidence off of success. The success of overcoming the obstacle comes first, then the confidence.

Like you said, he is a goalie that cuts down the angles, not a reflex goalie like Fleury. Some options for Lehner are coming further out of the net to cut down the angles and untilizing the poke check. Lehner is a big guy with good reach, he can probably make some saves just by getting a piece of the puck. It might not look pretty, but it is worth a shot.

Reactions: Panzerspitze

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Lack of confidence is a mental problem. We're not talking about a hockey player suddenly being expected to play water polo. Lehner is a great goalie with a major case of the yips in the shootout. And no one is saying it's an easy fix, because if it was we wouldn't have a word for this situation.

For whatever reason, he's a goalie that can shrug off facing 40+ shots during the game but the transition to the shootout is something he just keeps getting stuck in his head over.

Last edited:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
toews played good, he was very noticeable last night. im starting to feel bad for sikura. lehner earning that extra point. please trade gus now if we can get value. Schmaltz looked like good schmaltz yesterday.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
i will admit i didn't see the third. question, were the Bhawks, in your opinion just playing for a tie ??
I don't know. They 3rd goal happened pretty early in the period. Lots of time to play for the win.

They were hemmed in the whole period and, on the whole, the D had a terrible night getting the puck out of the zone. Lots of turnovers and failed clears.

A common theme with young speed teams. The Hawks just don't have the team speed to keep up.

And JC basically stapling Dach to the bench in the 3rd was a brilliant move.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I have one complaint regarding the game and until pundits. They were saying Gilbert should not have done that and others disagreed. But what was NOT focused on was Toews' turnover on I believe the 1st goal when he had plenty of open ice and time. That led directly to the goal.

Another observation are D zone exits. Seems like the D hold on a second too long. Is this because the F are not in position or the D shining too much? Most every other team is quicker than we are.

I think it's an overall lack of team speed.

Reactions: LDF and ColdSteel2

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Probably my biggest gripe with Colliton (other than maybe Dach) is how he has handled Kubalik. It's baffling why doesn't get much ice time and how he has to be stapled to his countrymen (Kampf).

No special teams play, pure and simple. His 2 way play has been a very pleasant surprise (not just a sniper).

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I don't know. They 3rd goal happened pretty early in the period. Lots of time to play for the win.

They were hemmed in the whole period and, on the whole, the D had a terrible night getting the puck out of the zone. Lots of turnovers and failed clears.

A common theme with young speed teams. The Hawks just don't have the team speed to keep up.

And JC basically stapling Dach to the bench in the 3rd was a brilliant move.
you maybe right but i usually look at the other players on the ice when that happens, esp on the replays. that is how i judge the play or the goal. what were the reactions of the Bhawks players or their position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad