Blackhawks to stop playing “The Stripper†during Shoot the Puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Chelsea Dagger is about prostitutes.

They complain about the Stripper but cheer when Hull is shown on the big screen.
Thats just making it more complicated for the PC crowd. Strippers bad, prostitutes acceptable. :laugh:

Keep Dagger for the annoyance factor for other teams. Its attained iconic status.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Everything in this world nowadays needs to be so perfectly politically correct, whatever that means. Some moan about using a pretty woman in this and think it is wrong. Its not like they come out naked, geez. The stupidest things are now made to be such a big deal by some while real issues in the country continue to get ignored. Pretty soon cheerleaders will be a thing of the past, even in high school. Isn't that sexist as well, shouldn't they have "average" women cheerleading as well? If people want to push for a cause then fine, but find something that is actually going to make a difference.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Everything in this world nowadays needs to be so perfectly politically correct, whatever that means. Some moan about using a pretty woman in this and think it is wrong. Its not like they come out naked, geez. The stupidest things are now made to be such a big deal by some while real issues in the country continue to get ignored. Pretty soon cheerleaders will be a thing of the past, even in high school. Isn't that sexist as well, shouldn't they have "average" women cheerleading as well? If people want to push for a cause then fine, but find something that is actually going to make a difference.

Agreed, great post. History repeats itself and when the **** hits the fan on this one and everyone gets fed up, it's going to swing back so bad for them and then people will be able to speak and think freely and when someone says, "that's not right, blah blah", they are going to be told to grow up. I just hope we don't have to wait 40, 50 years to see it.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I guess as a member of the abominable "PC crowd" I'm glad they ended "The Stripper." Didn't do anything to advance the movement to ban the song although I had read about it and am glad they took the step because I think its smart for the franchise and recognizes that the growth of the Hawks female fanbase in recent years has had a big part in making the team as financially successful as it has been of late and a big part of why the fanbase is so much larger than that of other NHL teams.

Would also be happy if they made shoot the puck less formulaic and gave all sorts of fans a chance to participate. I would think if someone goes to a hockey game to see pretty girls that the Ice Girls would be enough that it would be OK if they let a woman not in high heels with perfect makeup and hair shoot the puck every once in a while. Not that I want pretty female Hawks fans discriminated against either, but just make it something all fans have a shot at being apart of if you're going to do it at all. This is just a small thing the Hawks can do to improve at-game experiences for Hawks fans so what's the big deal?

As for the idea this is some slippery slope to male enslavement by the PC police or whatever... LOL. I'm pretty much a flaming liberal and a feminist Hawks fan and I won't be sending tweets, writing letters or marching in the streets to get the Ice Girls or Chelsea Dagger eliminated. I promise.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

But the whole point of playing "the stripper" is to get the audience to imagine the woman naked and objectify sexually a fan in the crowd who is just trying to compete for a prize with other fans who do not get singled out as objects of lust when they try to win a fan prize.

Is it the biggest deal in the world? Of course not. But some people were really mad about it and the Hawks took steps to address it. Good.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
This is what's going to happen when you become as mainstream in the city as the Hawk's have. I don't care about the song and can't stand shoot the puck or how they always pick out a first level debonair.

But, wow it puts things in perspective. Ten years ago, when I'd get the student discount 100 level seats I could imagine the team winning a cup, could imagine the place eventually being packed, but I never imagined how mainstream the crowd has become. I didn't think the team would catch on to the executive crowd like it has as well as being north shore family friendly. Also, not only are there a ton of female fans at games, there's even women who get completely dressed up, call their three bff's and spend the entire game posting on facebook mobile. That's ****ing mainstream.

deytookerjaabs

Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
But the whole point of playing "the stripper" is to get the audience to imagine the woman naked and objectify sexually a fan in the crowd who is just trying to compete for a prize with other fans who do not get singled out as objects of lust when they try to win a fan prize.

I think you, and quite a few people are off-base with your point here. If "the stripper" was a well known piece of music that everyone identified the act of stripping with I would agree. I think the decision to play it was more likely in jest, i.e. poking fun at the girls who are ridiculously dressed up for a hockey game (as well as poking fun at the decision to choose said girls) while knowing very few people, at best, would know the title of the song.

After all, there's only a million songs out there that would get the majority of the audience to connotate the female shooter with the act of stripping.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The song going was not really what I was looking at. It was the women who were moaning they keep putting out pretty women to shoot the puck and not average people. This is the entertainment business, and yes it is more entertaining for a lot in the stands to see a pretty girl doing one of them. If the girls they have going out there don't mind being showcased then what is the big deal? If the song is insulting then get rid of the song, but I just don't see a big deal with the nice looking ladies. Go into a Hooters, a Tilted Kilt, look at cheerleaders on the sidelines. The things people get offended with nowadays is ridiculous. What's next, different races are offended because they don't get to shoot the puck as much as others? How about to even it out they put a male bodybuilder in it without a top.

C'mon, find something that matters to moan about please.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
The stupidest things are now made to be such a big deal by some while real issues in the country continue to get ignored.

This is such a pointless argument made by anyone living in a rich Western country. No matter how bad things look, you still in most likelihood have it better than ~90 % of the population of the world. What are the issues that deserve to be talked about, if only the most important issues deserve discussion? Who makes the call?

Also, how is a three-day (give or take) Twitter campaign making a big deal that takes away attention to issues that of fundamantal importance in the society? It literally takes two seconds to "retweet" or "like".

I think you, and quite a few people are off-base with your point here. If "the stripper" was a well known piece of music that everyone identified the act of stripping with I would agree. I think the decision to play it was more likely in jest, i.e. poking fun at the girls who are ridiculously dressed up for a hockey game (as well as poking fun at the decision to choose said girls) while knowing very few people, at best, would know the title of the song.

But these are the women that are hand-picked by the organisation in the "woman" slot. There are literally thousands of women there of various appearances, and you say it is then perfectly acceptable to single out and laugh night after night at women (I assume few in actual numbers) who "are ridiculously dressed up"and insunuate they are strippers, and that is the (only) female presentation the organisation puts forward in in this contest? If indeed that is the goal, I would say that is then downright misogynistic, especially since it has been alleged that the organisation hires these women for the contest.

(Me, I think this is a simple case of male titillation, but whatever).

If the song is insulting then get rid of the song, but I just don't see a big deal with the nice looking ladies. Go into a Hooters, a Tilted Kilt, look at cheerleaders on the sidelines. The things people get offended with nowadays is ridiculous. What's next, different races are offended because they don't get to shoot the puck as much as others? How about to even it out they put a male bodybuilder in it without a top.

This is a hockey game, not Hooters...

You basically - somewhat inadvertently, I assume - adressed some of the issue here. It seems a fact of life people will be objectified, but it deserves to be noticed there is absolutely no male objectification here, just female. If you want to go the entertainment route, at least then keep things equal apply same appearance-standards to both sexes.

Last edited:

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
They should just draw random seats to shoot the puck. Problem solved. I would love to get the chance to shoot the puck one day. But there is no way I will be showing up in heels. I will have my jersey nd most likely one of my hawks hats on.
Not really fitting the type they use :p.

I never knew there was a song either. When I originally heard about this petition I was like "why are they banning strippers from hawks games?" ....oops.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
The song going was not really what I was looking at. It was the women who were moaning they keep putting out pretty women to shoot the puck and not average people. This is the entertainment business, and yes it is more entertaining for a lot in the stands to see a pretty girl doing one of them. If the girls they have going out there don't mind being showcased then what is the big deal? If the song is insulting then get rid of the song, but I just don't see a big deal with the nice looking ladies. Go into a Hooters, a Tilted Kilt, look at cheerleaders on the sidelines. The things people get offended with nowadays is ridiculous. What's next, different races are offended because they don't get to shoot the puck as much as others? How about to even it out they put a male bodybuilder in it without a top.

C'mon, find something that matters to moan about please.

Concerning oneself with multiple matters of varying importance is not a mutually exclusive proposition.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Concerning oneself with multiple matters of varying importance is not a mutually exclusive proposition.

We are all entitled to our opinions on each and every matter when it comes to society. I just look at this one and shrug my shoulders. Liking attractive women and not wanting to prejudice against them is a weakness of mine I guess :)

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
We are all entitled to our opinions on each and every matter when it comes to society. I just look at this one and shrug my shoulders. Liking attractive women and not wanting to prejudice against them is a weakness of mine I guess :)

So your takeaway from this is that the Hawks are succumbing to pressure from those who are prejudiced against attractive women. I see.

deytookerjaabs

Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
But these are the women that are hand-picked by the organisation in the "woman" slot. There are literally thousands of women there of various appearances, and you say it is then perfectly acceptable to single out and laugh night after night at women (I assume few in actual numbers) who "are ridiculously dressed up"and insunuate they are strippers, and that is the (only) female presentation the organisation puts forward in in this contest? If indeed that is the goal, I would say that is then downright misogynistic, especially since it has been alleged that the organisation hires these women for the contest.

(Me, I think this is a simple case of male titillation, but whatever).

The organization picks the girls from the first level, I've seen it in person. Call me a misogynist all you like, if a man wears a leotard to or some ridiculous muscle shirt as if he's out in the club, while at a hockey game, I'd judge him just the same as the female. It looks ridiculous and anyone with a sense of humor can poke fun at it.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
What if...they picked an average woman out of the crowd instead and the crowd booed. You have to remember this has been going on for decades. I'd hate to see something like that happen, but I can almost guarantee there will be enough drunk idiots in the crowd to make sure it does.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
They should just randomly pick people from the crowd. If they have to 'target' any group to make sure they're included it should be the kids.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
When you consider what the song Chelsea Dagger is about, it's only a matter of time before the PC crowd gobbles that one up too. And I welcome it. The more extreme that movement gets, the closer we are to having everyone hate on it and stomp it out for good.

The difference is that they play "The Stripper" when the typically hot girl plays Shoot the Puck. Has negative/sexist connotations. Chelsea Dagger is way different.

I guess as a member of the abominable "PC crowd" I'm glad they ended "The Stripper." Didn't do anything to advance the movement to ban the song although I had read about it and am glad they took the step because I think its smart for the franchise and recognizes that the growth of the Hawks female fanbase in recent years has had a big part in making the team as financially successful as it has been of late and a big part of why the fanbase is so much larger than that of other NHL teams.

Would also be happy if they made shoot the puck less formulaic and gave all sorts of fans a chance to participate. I would think if someone goes to a hockey game to see pretty girls that the Ice Girls would be enough that it would be OK if they let a woman not in high heels with perfect makeup and hair shoot the puck every once in a while. Not that I want pretty female Hawks fans discriminated against either, but just make it something all fans have a shot at being apart of if you're going to do it at all. This is just a small thing the Hawks can do to improve at-game experiences for Hawks fans so what's the big deal?

As for the idea this is some slippery slope to male enslavement by the PC police or whatever... LOL. I'm pretty much a flaming liberal and a feminist Hawks fan and I won't be sending tweets, writing letters or marching in the streets to get the Ice Girls or Chelsea Dagger eliminated. I promise.

Good post. :)

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The difference is that they play "The Stripper" when the typically hot girl plays Shoot the Puck. Has negative/sexist connotations. Chelsea Dagger is way different.

I understand that. I just feel if you can get perturbed about a solo organ performance of a song from the 50's, what's next? Because there is always something you can find to be pissed off about if that's all it takes. It would be a little different if all of the women who the shot the puck to the tune of that song got together and talked about their feelings. I mean, an old organ song? You can find a reason to hate everything. Trust me, I know, I try everyday not to be that person. It's important.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I understand that. I just feel if you can get perturbed about a solo organ performance of a song from the 50's, what's next? Because there is always something you can find to be pissed off about if that's all it takes. It would be a little different if all of the women who the shot the puck to the tune of that song got together and talked about their feelings. I mean, an old organ song? You can find a reason to hate everything. Trust me, I know, I try everyday not to be that person. It's important.

This is an Internet message board. This place is an excellent illustration of how people get outraged about small stuff all the time here, sometimes even more than in everyday life. You could say, "what's next?" to literally every articulation of a pet peeve in the world.

For example: If you get perturbed at the main board making fun of Toews and intangibles, what's next?

This "what's next?" argument against changing the shoot the puck song or formula just because this particular thing doesn't bug you the way it does for other people is weak sauce.

Now if you just have a reflexive hatred to feminist activism in general, cool, just own it and we can hash it out in the political discussion forum sometime maybe or just move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad