Blackhawks to stop playing “The Stripper†during Shoot the Puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
This is an outrage!!

http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/blackhawks-to-stop-playing-the-stripper-during-shoot-the-puck/

“The Stripper†is no more.
Blackhawks president John McDonough told the Sun-Times on Wednesday that the longstanding — and to so many, infuriating — practice of organist Frank Pellico playing “The Stripper†while a woman participated in the second-intermission “Shoot the Puck†promotion will stop in the 2014-15 season.
“I think you’ve heard the last of Frank Pellico playing ‘The Stripper,’†McDonough said.
A recent online movement to ban the song, including a #BanTheStripper hashtag and an online petition, called the Hawks out for the rather blatant sexism that was inherent in the contest. The typical format included a child, a man, a celebrity, and an attractive woman — the latter rarely in, let’s say, casual hockey-fan attire. In fact, sources say a team employee has been tasked each night with finding just the right the female participant. It had become as much a part of a Hawks game as playing “Here Come the Hawks†before warmups, and “Chelsea Dagger†after goals.
McDonough wouldn’t say for certain if the Shoot the Puck selection process would be overhauled completely — he said he rarely, if ever, watches Shoot the Puck, and therefore “can’t give you an opinion†— but said the Hawks heard their fans’ message loud and clear.
“We have to listen,†he said. “We have to be aware. We have to react when appropriate — not overreact, but react. We take all of this very seriously. We have had to take a look at every single element, every aspect of our operation, our hockey business from A to Z. I certainly have red the stories, and I understand the sensitive nature of all of that.â€

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
*me upon hearing the news*

What song is that?

*me upon going to YouTube to listen to the song*

The organ played that?

*me upon remember that I don't pay any attention to the shoot the puck contest anyway, so they literally could've played anything for all that I know*

What's for dinner?

*me upon hearing that they'd stop playing the song*

But what are we having for dinner?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Like others have said, I don't recall the song.
Unlike others, I don't recall it because my attention was going more to the visual side of things. :)

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
There was a song during Shoot The Puck?!

Apparently it was only played when the hot girl hits the ice. It seems there are many of us that didn't notice this either. :laugh:

You can see why it would make some fans uncomfortable though

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
We all know the routine.

Kid comes up, polite applause.
Guy comes up, boo him like he's a Bettman.
Hot lady comes up, loud applause.
Celebrity comes up, applause.

Crow

May 19, 2014
They better still find the right woman for the job. If they didn't, that might bother me a little.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I never pay attention to shoot the puck. I don't get why they don't have intermission panels like TSN and Sportsnet for viewers to watch.

feichter

Apr 2, 2006
This tidbit of news, or Khayes not signing....not sure which I care less about at this point.

If people were offended, then change it, hell, it's not like it's someone asking us to change out Chelsea Dagger as our goal song.

Plus, I'm likely quite sure the 'shoot the puck' girls know why they're chosen, no?:nod:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
When you consider what the song Chelsea Dagger is about, it's only a matter of time before the PC crowd gobbles that one up too. And I welcome it. The more extreme that movement gets, the closer we are to having everyone hate on it and stomp it out for good.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
This tidbit of news, or Khayes not signing....not sure which I care less about at this point.

If people were offended, then change it, hell, it's not like it's someone asking us to change out Chelsea Dagger as our goal song.

Plus, I'm likely quite sure the 'shoot the puck' girls know why they're chosen, no?:nod:

It's probably the only reason some of them go to the games.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
No, I don't want it gone. I'm just surprised it isn't a target too. It would be great to see this get even more petty just for the chaos and for people to start telling the PC crowd to shut up so we can all "regress" and be normal again.

KreiMeARiver*

This lady Marissa Miller is an idiot. She's just mad she doesn't look like the real Marisa Miller.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
When you consider what the song Chelsea Dagger is about, it's only a matter of time before the PC crowd gobbles that one up too. And I welcome it. The more extreme that movement gets, the closer we are to having everyone hate on it and stomp it out for good.
Interesting thought. You are right about the intent of both songs. PC crowd is laughable. I wish they would disappear as well (PC crowd). Bring back Archie Bunker!

The 'stripper' is a dinosaur from another era. Dont mind it and dont mind it being discontinued either.

Last edited:

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Chelsea Dagger is about prostitutes.

They complain about the Stripper but cheer when Hull is shown on the big screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad