Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks Sign Tanner Kero (forward, Michigan Tech)

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Where are you getting 6 rookies from?

McNeill, Danault, Hartman, Pokka.

Scotty Bowman himself said in an interview that it's likely that 4 fulltime icehogs will be Hawks next year.

Teravainen, Nordstrom and TVR aren't rookies to me. But your point stands, Again, I think the Hawks could bring in a defenseman on a 4.5Mish contract (heck maybe even Oduya... not for that much tho). The money is there if you remove Bickell and Sharp from the roster.

Unless you resign Vermette, which I don't think they will, but that basically replaces one of those 2.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I think Vermette's performance in Chicago has really cut into his earning potential this offseason, but that could change in a big way in the playoffs.

I think alot of teams would have looked at Vermette like I did and said... "well he's the leading scorer on a terrible offensive team so maybe there is some potential for him to be a great defensive C AND be a 50pt scorer."

But his stint with the Hawks could be taking some of that optimism away. If he comes down into the Hawks price range (4-4.5M) I'd consider it.

Heck sign me up for [email protected] +Oduya@3 -Bickell -Sharp -Versteeg, I'd have to run my numbers through my spreadsheet but I'm pretty sure that works.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
I think Vermette's performance in Chicago has really cut into his earning potential this offseason, but that could change in a big way in the playoffs.

I think alot of teams would have looked at Vermette like I did and said... "well he's the leading scorer on a terrible offensive team so maybe there is some potential for him to be a great defensive C AND be a 50pt scorer."

But his stint with the Hawks could be taking some of that optimism away. If he comes down into the Hawks price range (4-4.5M) I'd consider it.

Heck sign me up for [email protected] +Oduya@3 -Bickell -Sharp -Versteeg, I'd have to run my numbers through my spreadsheet but I'm pretty sure that works.

With Saad at 5 would that work?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
With Saad at 5 would that work?

70.79M roster of:
Saad Toews Hossa
Teravainen Vermette Kane
Shaw Danault McNeill
Nordstrom Kruger Hartman

Keith Seabrook
Hjalmarsson Oduya
Van Riemsdyk Johns

That's with 2M to Kruger, 5M to Saad, 3M to Oduya and 4.5M to Vermette. Probably unrealistic to bring 0 money back in Versteeg, Sharp, Bickell deals but nice to think about.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
3M for Oduya seems like a pipe dream to me. I know he loves Chicago and his Swedish buddies, but the man already has a cup and this is his last chance to get a big contract.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
3M for Oduya seems like a pipe dream to me. I know he loves Chicago and his Swedish buddies, but the man already has a cup and this is his last chance to get a big contract.

3Mx3 doesn't do it for you? I mean, no matter how good he is he's still a 10 point 33 year old defenseman with terrible advanced stats this season.

You could be right tho. Just throwing numbers around wildly so rational people can come in and correct me.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
3Mx3 doesn't do it for you? I mean, no matter how good he is he's still a 10 point 33 year old defenseman with terrible advanced stats this season.

I think Oduya's recent play is clouding people's judgement on the matter. He should be gone next season. Would like to see the Hawks get more skill in the back end (to help burden the load off the forwards minus just Keith/Seabrook) along with physicality. Hjalmarsson should finally be allowed to play on his natural side.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I think Oduya's recent play is clouding people's judgement on the matter. He should be gone next season. Would like to see the Hawks get more skill in the back end (to help burden the load off the forwards minus just Keith/Seabrook) along with physicality. Hjalmarsson should finally be allowed to play on his natural side.

Hammer has said a few times now that he much prefers playing on the right side and thinks he plays better there. Getting a LHD out of the trades this offseason is imperative IMO. But I think Oduya might just repay the Hawks loyalty to him in the Leddy/Oduya summer this offseason.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
^Bingo. The team needs to stay under the cap next year and the easiest way to do it is to bring up the NHL-ready bodies that we've had in the farm.

Even when this team had the opportunity to do so the last few years, it didn't work because Q refused to let some guys struggle in their process of improving. If this IS going to work, we need to have management that's willing to let some guys, in some cases the team, take one step back to take two steps forward.

Since hammer, the only young guys that have been called up/made the team and stuck for good out of the gate were Saad and Leddy. Even then there were times those guys, especially Leddy, got dicked around. That approach isn't going to be an option over these next few years.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Since hammer, the only young guys that have been called up/made the team and stuck for good out of the gate were Saad and Leddy.

BS. Kruger and Shaw. Smith eventually stuck when there was an opening. TVR before his injury, and Teravainen when there was a spot for him/he was ready. Hell, Teravainen made it up with the Hawks pretty fast.

Q seems to like Nordstrom too, and we'll be seeing a few players with little to no NHL experience up with the Hawks next year as well.

This is what happens when you have a deep team. You have to go above and beyond to play right away.

Last edited:

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

You could be right tho. Just throwing numbers around wildly so rational people can come in and correct me.

Maybe Oduya won't get stupid Brooks Orpik-ish type money, but I would expect him to at least be offered something similar to what Willie Mitchell got from Florida (4.25 x 2).

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
BS. Kruger and Shaw. Smith eventually stuck when there was an opening. TVR before his injury, and Teravainen when there was a spot for him/he was ready. Hell, Teravainen made it up with the Hawks pretty fast.

Q seems to like Nordstrom too, and we'll be seeing a few players with little to no NHL experience up with the Hawks next year as well.

This is what happens when you have a deep team. You have to go above and beyond to play right away.

Shaw went down for a stretch after coming up and going absolutely insane on the score sheet and getting away from his game. But yea, Q doesn't hate youngsters. He just hates specific ones.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

No question about it!!

Antoine will be one motivated player in the post season - He hasn't got there yet with Hawks, but we all have seen that he can be a major contributor.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I'm not. I'd rather have a contender.

In a cap world it may not be possible to have a true contender every year.

Smart teams have figured out that you may need to replenish some of your depth players with younger, cheaper players every 2-4 years to ensure you can afford your expensive core.

Bowman has that figured out to a T.

TQE

Mar 4, 2014
I don't see why we still can't be a contender next season. Sure, we won't be the prohibitive favorite, or even one of the favorites; but so what. I'm looking forward to some new, hungry blood on the team next year. What are we, Atlanta Braves fans?

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
In a cap world it may not be possible to have a true contender every year.

Smart teams have figured out that you may need to replenish some of your depth players with younger, cheaper players every 2-4 years to ensure you can afford your expensive core.

Bowman has that figured out to a T.

Gotta make sure you replace the RIGHT players. Having a slug like Bickell floating around for his salary is the wrong way to go.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Shaw went down for a stretch after coming up and going absolutely insane on the score sheet and getting away from his game. But yea, Q doesn't hate youngsters. He just hates specific ones.

Yeah it looks like he missed a 6 game stretch (which is pretty insignificant) from mid to late February after being called up in early January of 2012. So he played in 37 out of a possible 43 games after first being called up.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I don't see why we still can't be a contender next season. Sure, we won't be the prohibitive favorite, or even one of the favorites; but so what. I'm looking forward to some new, hungry blood on the team next year. What are we, Atlanta Braves fans?

There will some positives with the team getting younger:
- team is liable to be faster, definitely more physical, goaltending looks better than it has been in years and our 2 studs will be just reaching their primes. Coaching will be far more important however.... as well as patience.

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
17. A couple of weeks ago, Chicago would not have been seen as a favourite to sign free agent Kyle Baun or keep draft pick Michael Paliotta, who was eligible to test the market in August. The Blackhawks were very excited to get these done. Their success makes them a destination, but usually for veterans who want to win a Stanley Cup. Clearly, they are making it known to prospects there is going to be opportunity because of their looming cap crunch.

Baun, who could have signed for $832,500, went for $700,000, knowing every dollar matters. (Scott Darling did something similar with his extension, taking less than Antti Raanta.) There’s going to be some interesting turnover here.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-ovechkin-hating-2010/

Rookies may have a big role next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad