Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks Sign Defenseman Trevor van Riemsdyk

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
Losing Oduya would hurt the depth on D. I'm hoping he signs at a discount

Unless it is a massive discount I doubt the Hawks will be able to afford him. Top 4 d-men were getting more than 4 million a year in the off-season. Oduya could be looking at a 4.5 to 5 million dollar contract on the open market after this season.

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
Unless it is a massive discount I doubt the Hawks will be able to afford him. Top 4 d-men were getting more than 4 million a year in the off-season. Oduya could be looking at a 4.5 to 5 million dollar contract on the open market after this season.
Nope. Oduya is 33 and not finding that type of money on any respectable nhl team (bolland to florida for 5.5m so anything is possible). I could see him getting 3 m and hopfully taking a discount here of like 2.5? That will unlikely though.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I think Oduya could probably get a contract a lot like Dennis Seidenberg's next summer, so $4M AAV.

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
Plus Oduya will be even older when his contract actually expires. ^ Seidenberg is a number 2 and is 33 when he got his new contract. He only got 4m. Oduya is not getting a raise when he is 34 playing less and less minutes.

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
Nope. Oduya is 33 and not finding that type of money on any respectable nhl team (bolland to florida for 5.5m so anything is possible).

I didn't say he would get 4-5 million from a respectable team. I said that based on the contracts that top 4 d-men have gotten recently that I think he could get that type of money on the open market from someone. Might he be willing to take a little less to stay with a contender like the Hawks? Sure, but I don't know if he would be willing to take 2 million less.

EDIT:
And Seidenberg took a discount to stay in Boston. I'm sure the were other teams that would have gladly offered him more money if he had been willing to leave.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
TVR needs to start doing more now, IMO. He's passed the first test,he's good in the D zone and makes good outlets, but it's time to start jumping into the play and play with more speed.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
TVR needs to start doing more now, IMO. He's passed the first test,he's good in the D zone and makes good outlets, but it's time to start jumping into the play and play with more speed.

He's 9 games into his NHL career for petes sake, and besides, I'll bet that Q has drilled into him to not try and do too much. I won't be surprised if his ice time is way up by March if he keeps up with his steady play.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Rookie defenseman playing extremely solid hockey nine games into his NHL career isn't enough for you?

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Rookie defenseman playing extremely solid hockey nine games into his NHL career isn't enough for you?

It should be enough but there is nothing wrong with asking for more. We are going to be at a point soon where we will need a number of our young defenseman to step up and replace those on their way out. Hopefully they can do that sooner than they are expected to.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It should be enough but there is nothing wrong with asking for more. We are going to be at a point soon where we will need a number of our young defenseman to step up and replace those on their way out. Hopefully they can do that sooner than they are expected to.

TvR is doing exactly that playing like a rock solid #5 as an undrafted college UFA. Complaining that he's not timing his pinches perfectly after nine games isn't fair.

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
He's turning into a solid defensive option but he struggles keeping plays alive and pucks in. The Hawks are deep enough to live with it, I hope he gets better in that area. Overall, I really like what we've been seeing from him. I'm not complaining about anybody playing above their cap hit so I'm happy to see him work through some of the mistakes in October.

Frankly, I don't see it and consider him above average in that aspect.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Where was I complaining? I even ****ing said he's been good.

Yeah, I don't see where you were blaming him for anything. You simply want a little more offense from him, but that will come.

I have noticed he is a little slow on his feet, but he has definitely been more than we could have hoped for from any of the rookies.

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010
As someone from Middletown, we're clearly all excited about the vR's out here, we know what James can do by now. Reading this thread it seems like Trevor has been playing well? It's pretty tough to keep up with the Hawks as a fan of an Eastern Conf. team.

Played with him, James and Branden before...all 3 were pretty good kids so just hoping they have good careers.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
As someone from Middletown, we're clearly all excited about the vR's out here, we know what James can do by now. Reading this thread it seems like Trevor has been playing well? It's pretty tough to keep up with the Hawks as a fan of an Eastern Conf. team.

Played with him, James and Branden before...all 3 were pretty good kids so just hoping they have good careers.

He struggled against Ottawa last week, but followed it up with 2 of his best (if not the best) games of the season. He is a keeper for sure.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Absolutely. You'd expect a rookie to have hiccups, and he's had a few, but nothing really overly awful and his pros have vastly outweighed his cons.

Very happy he's on the roster.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He struggled against Ottawa last week, but followed it up with 2 of his best (if not the best) games of the season. He is a keeper for sure.

I didn't see him as struggling in those games, but I seem to detect a change in his game and I hope it's my imagination. At times recently he seems to have abandoned that good body positioning he has been so good at early on in his defensive game and replaced it with stickchecking. My imagination?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad