Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks sign college UFA Kyle Baun

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If you're going to scratch of waive a forward for Baun, that forward is obviously Kris Versteeg.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He is as awful as I say and at 4M he should at least put in the effort to perform better

That 4M cap hit hurts team far more then a rare bad game from Rozy. And of course Stan giving Bickell that deal is reason Jimmy Hayes was traded and Kevin Hayes refused to sign

Would you rather have the Hayes brothers or Bickell? At end of day anyone who puts in an honest effort would be improvement over Bickell

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
He is as awful as I say and at 4M he should at least put in the effort to perform better

That 4M cap hit hurts team far more then a rare bad game from Rozy. And of course Stan giving Bickell that deal is reason Jimmy Hayes was traded and Kevin Hayes refused to sign

Would you rather have the Hayes brothers or Bickell? At end of day anyone who puts in an honest effort would be improvement over Bickell

Point-And-Laugh-Reaction-Gif.gif

And what did the Bickell contract have to do with Jayes getting traded? There was plenty of room for two big forwards on this team.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Went looking for some game footage of Baun on YouTube. Didn't come across any, but I found this beauty of a video.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
My understanding was that both Baun and Paliotta were signed with the expectation, and condition, they'd at least get in an NHL game this year.
I was very surprised not to see one, if not both, players suited up against Buffalo.
Now, with three tough, important games remaining against division rivals it's looking doubtful that we'll see them play at all.

Was I way off in assuming they'd get some ice-time with the Hawks?

If they aren't going to play wouldn't it make more sense to at least get them some games in at the AHL level so they can get acclimated before the playoffs? I guess just 'being' with the big club makes a difference, but the IceHogs have an opportunity to make some noise in the playoffs this year.

mikee*

My understanding was that both Baun and Paliotta were signed with the expectation, and condition, they'd at least get in an NHL game this year.
I was very surprised not to see one, if not both, players suited up against Buffalo.
Now, with three tough, important games remaining against division rivals it's looking doubtful that we'll see them play at all.

If they aren't going to play wouldn't it make more sense to at least get them some games in at the AHL level so they can get acclimated before the playoffs? I guess just 'being' with the big club makes a difference, but the IceHogs have an opportunity to make some noise in the playoffs this year.

The Hawks were not going to play a couple of kids, nor break up a lineup that had won a few games in a row, while they were still in contention for the President's Trophy. That win in Buffalo was too important. Had the Hawks beat the Blues they would be in 1st place in the division, and 2 pts out against Ana with a game in hand.

Baun and Paliotta will most likely play in the final game of the season, assuming the playoff seeding is already solidified. Or they could get an opportunity to fill in for an injured player before then.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013

They are with the Hawks because they are getting NHL paychecks not AHL money which makes a huge difference.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

If the Hawks lose this game, they're essentially locked into the 3rd seed and the last remaining games become meaningless. Both could see more time down the stretch.

You're correct that one of the conditions for signing for Baun was that he would get at least one game in the NHL this season, to eliminate one year off his ELC contract. I'm not sure if the same arrangement was made for Palliota.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011

I know this was a few games ago and but come on Rozy has been terrible all year. I feel like i am one of the most positive people on this board about this team but there is no way you can see anything but consistent bad play from him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
if he is half as tough as his grandfather then you've got something.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
I thought Baun had a decent game last night with minimal ice-time. He didn't look out of place, had a decent hit behind the net in the second period, but was understandably shaky with the puck at times.
He used his size effectively, but got laid out from behind by two Blues when he came in off-side. I was a bit surprised no Hawks came to his defense.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He looked decent to me as well considering the nerves. Looks like he could hold a role in our bottom 6 and wouldnt mind him getting another look or two before playoffs.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I was there last night and thought he played pretty well for his first game. Had a nice hit and skated hard. He had some nice hands and shot warming up as well.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I thought he looked really tentative and didn't react as quickly as he needs to when the puck is on his stick. Otherwise, I liked his physical style, and willingness to get his nose dirty. Could have a future here as early next year, but I thought the same with LeBlanc after his first game.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Braun looks like a good skater for his size. He was willing to hit and be hit. Puck skills and hockey sense need more views but weren't great. Standard bottom 6 candidate.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012

Looks like things just got tougher for the guys down in the A. Specifically Hartman, McNeill, Ross.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Having a lot of prospect depth is a good thing, especially as I have a hunch that we're probably going to package Bickell with a prospect or two to not retain any of his cap hit/get something meaningful in return.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Baun is night and day when compared to the pathetic debuts of Carey and Leblanc

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
My money is now on: Baun, McNeill, Danault up on offense and Johns, Pokka up on Defense. Ross, Hartman, Broadhurst on the outside but could steal a spot. Paliotta could steal a spot. But it's not like any of those guys are getting Pirri'd by staying down there too long. All 3 could use some more time. It actually works very nicely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad