Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks sign college UFA Kyle Baun

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 3m3 minutes ago
Kyle Baun is a 6-2, 204-pounder who just finished his junior year at Colgate. He had 39 goals and 40 assists in 113 games. #Blackhawks

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 3m3 minutes ago
Kyle Baun is also the grandson of former Leafs legend Bobby Baun. #Blackhawks

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Great news. Glad to see that not all college players are scared off by this team's depth.

Welcome Kyle!

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Sounds like he'll report to the Hawks this season a la LeBlah.

Brian Bartlett ‏@BBarts 8m8 minutes ago
Happy to confirm that new client Kyle Baun (@Bauner27) has agreed to terms with Chicago Blackhawks. He will report to the team this season.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Baun's deal with CHI is two-year entry level. Will burn 1st year now by playing game(s) this season.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Mad respect to college players signing here after hearing about Hayes and potentially Paliotta. Not sure why they would do it since Q is so terrible with young players derp derp derp.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I respect the hell out of the kid there is no doubt about it but from the games I have watched him play I am just not seeing the hype. So many teams were after him and with his age and size I figured he would have performed better than he did the past few years. I hope he makes a better pro than college player so those expecting a ton please tread carefully as I am not sure how this kid will turn out. He does bring size and grit and should help our bottom 6 in some capacity..

Nothingman*

He better have immediate Selke-type D or Q will **** him hard and relegate him to the press box for stars like Nordstrom, Shaw, Desjardins, and Carcillo.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
He better have immediate Selke-type D or Q will **** him hard and relegate him to the press box for stars like Nordstrom, Shaw, Desjardins, and Carcillo.

Give me a break...

Q is hard on rookies, sure, but plenty of young players have been able to survive and thrive under him. Great coaches like Babcock and Vigneault pull the same types of moves.

Nothingman*

Give me a break...

Q is hard on rookies, sure, but plenty of young players have been able to survive and thrive under him. Great coaches like Babcock and Vigneault pull the same types of moves.

I am so glad you mention the success stories. there are also ones that went on to succeed elsewhere despite Q....that are his failures. You need to look at both sides. So he isn't the end all to player development, talent ID, etc. as you may be led to or choose to believe.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
A big bodied 3rd liner who can chip in with goals.

Say hello to Brain Bickell's replacement.

Hpoefully he can be what we all wanted Bickell to be. The playoff Bickell if you may.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I am so glad you mention the success stories. there are also ones that went on to succeed elsewhere despite Q....that are his failures. You need to look at both sides. So he isn't the end all to player development, talent ID, etc. as you may be led to or choose to believe.

Every team has players that go on to have bigger roles elsewhere. Tippet refused to ever play Rundblad, and even though he doesn't get much playing time here, he has improved tremendously with us. It happens to every franchise.

But no, let's make smartass comments about how he won't be played unless he's playing selke like defense. :facepalm:

Nothingman*

Every team has players that go on to have bigger roles elsewhere. Tippet refused to ever play Rundblad, and even though he doesn't get much playing time here, he has improved tremendously with us. It happens to every franchise.

But no, let's make smartass comments about how he won't be played unless he's playing selke like defense. :facepalm:

So....you are saying you don't have a sense of humor? because if you think i was literal .....you don't.

And using Sundblad as an example of success....you lose ALL cred with me.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The difference between him signing and K.Hayes and Paliotta refusing us is that he will be a UFA again again after next season....Because he signs a 2 yr deal only as the rules dictate fir undated college Seniors who have finished and are free to sign with any team...Hayes and Paliotta would be locked in for 3 years since the Hawks would have ensured they do not burn the first year of their ELC which the rules dictate for such drafted players who have finished Senior years or left school early...Then they are locked in again as RFA s and must sign again with their draft team till either age 27 (unless their second contract goes longer ) or they complete 7 pro years with the drafting team or whoever their contracts get traded to...So it is always better for drafted College Seniors who have finished to go the 2 year rout to complete UFA status because IF they do well they would be in demand o the market and get bigger contracts sooner plus more movement flexibility.. Thus situation s like Baun and Carey and Let lancet are totally different than for drafted College Seniors who finish and are expected to be good 0layers and get good market interest...

Now as we have seen with Carey and
blanc ...both have not set the world on fire at the AHL level let alone in the show with the big club...and so if Baun also fails to stick at least they promised him a few high paydays at his NHL salary till the end of the region. season...If he shows well then he can extend his deal sometime next year for higher pay ...so from his point 9f view he joins a playoff team with a chance to prove himself..If he does well he can assess the situation again as soon as sometime in the season next year and we would all know if we want to keep him or not and he will know if he wants to stay or test free agency again after next season..So for him a good situation...Lots of options sooner than those drafted Seniors coming out who might have to accept toil in the minors too long even if they could contribute at an NHL level sooner by playing somewhere else..those guys have less options and manouevreability.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
So....you are saying you don't have a sense of humor? because if you think i was literal .....you don't.

And using Sundblad as an example of success....you lose ALL cred with me.

I know you weren't literally saying he would need to be playing Selke caliber defense (maybe I shouldn't have added in the word to my comment). But there seems to be a notion on this forum that if you make one mistake, you'll have your ass stapled to the bench for a week by Q. That's just an extreme over exaggeration, and it's really starting to aggravate me.

And most of the young players we have let walk aren't any more successful than Rundblad (who has improved tremendously since his time in Phoenix). Pirri, while scoring a lot, hardly ever chips in with assists (which are sometimes as important as a goal). Morin has been lackluster in Columbus. Olsen isn't a NHL player at this point. And while Stanton isn't a bad defensemen, he's hardly missed on this team.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
The difference between him signing and K.Hayes and Paliotta refusing us is that he will be a UFA again again after next season....Because he signs a 2 yr deal only as the rules dictate fir undated college Seniors who have finished and are free to sign with any team...Hayes and Paliotta would be locked in for 3 years since the Hawks would have ensured they do not burn the first year of their ELC which the rules dictate for such drafted players who have finished Senior years or left school early...Then they are locked in again as RFA s and must sign again with their draft team till either age 27 (unless their second contract goes longer ) or they complete 7 pro years with the drafting team or whoever their contracts get traded to...So it is always better for drafted College Seniors who have finished to go the 2 year rout to complete UFA status because IF they do well they would be in demand o the market and get bigger contracts sooner plus more movement flexibility.. Thus situation s like Baun and Carey and Let lancet are totally different than for drafted College Seniors who finish and are expected to be good 0layers and get good market interest...

blanc ...both have not set the world on fire at the AHL level let alone in the show with the big club...and so if Baun also fails to stick at least they promised him a few high paydays at his NHL salary till the end of the region. season...If he shows well then he can extend his deal sometime next year for higher pay ...so from his point 9f view he joins a playoff team with a chance to prove himself..If he does well he can assess the situation again as soon as sometime in the season next year and we would all know if we want to keep him or not and he will know if he wants to stay or test free agency again after next season..So for him a good situation...Lots of options sooner than those drafted Seniors coming out who might have to accept toil in the minors too long even if they could contribute at an NHL level sooner by playing somewhere else..those guys have less options and manouevreability.
Your first paragraph is incorrect. The length of an ELC is dictated by player age. For example Kevin signed a 2 year ELC with the Rangers due to his age. Similarly, Baun signed a 2 year ELC and Paliotta would sign a 2 year ELC.

The point to negotiate is when the ELC starts. Baun negotiated that his is active immediately so his 2 years started this season effectively making it a 1 year ELC for 2015-2016. For example Hinostroza agreed to have his 3 year ELC start next year whereas Baun wanted to burn a year this year. I presume Paliotta want his first year burned to make it a 1 year ELC.

Nothingman*

I know you weren't literally saying he would need to be playing Selke caliber defense (maybe I shouldn't have added in the word to my comment). But there seems to be a notion on this forum that if you make one mistake, you'll have your ass stapled to the bench for a week by Q. That's just an extreme over exaggeration, and it's really starting to aggravate me.

And most of the young players we have let walk aren't any more successful than Rundblad (who has improved tremendously since his time in Phoenix). Pirri, while scoring a lot, hardly ever chips in with assists (which are sometimes as important as a goal). Morin has been lackluster in Columbus. Olsen isn't a NHL player at this point. And while Stanton isn't a bad defensemen, he's hardly missed on this team.

I don't see the 'tremendous' improvement on Rundblad. If he was so flipping good Q would be playing your pet. Which he chooses geriatric Rozy over 11 out of 10 times. There is little if any improvement with him which is why he is sitting. and when there is more competition next year when TVR comes back, Johns and the like are ready, he will be shipped off as the soft TO machine he is.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

I don't think he's a UFA after next season, just a RFA.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I don't see the 'tremendous' improvement on Rundblad. If he was so flipping good Q would be playing your pet. Which he chooses geriatric Rozy over 11 out of 10 times. There is little if any improvement with him which is why he is sitting. and when there is more competition next year when TVR comes back, Johns and the like are ready, he will be shipped off as the soft TO machine he is.

Rundblad has noticeably improved playing with the Hawks. He's still not great, but he's just as good as Rozsival. I'm neither for or against him, I'm simply using him as an example of a player who has improved after being traded to a different team.

My point is that Q isn't the only coach who doesn't always give young players a legitimate chance at cracking the lineup. Nobody knows how Baun will handle the pressure Q will have for him, but prematurely saying that he'll just sit the bench the whole time in favor of players like Carcillo or Nordstrom is ridiculous.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Rundblad has noticeably improved playing with the Hawks. He's still not great, but he's just as good as Rozsival. I'm neither for or against him, I'm simply using him as an example of a player who has improved after being traded to a different team.

My point is that Q isn't the only coach who doesn't always give young players a legitimate chance at cracking the lineup. Nobody knows how Baun will handle the pressure Q will have for him, but prematurely saying that he'll just sit the bench the whole time in favor of players like Carcillo or Nordstrom is ridiculous.

Agreed, Rundblad has proven himself an NHL d-man with his play this year.

He could be traded for some value, as he still offers some (and perhaps considerable) upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad