GDT: Blackhawks @ Red Wings - 7:30PM ET (preseason Game 2)

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
30g 30a is a hopeful but realistic projection I think. If the PP gets better with Bylsma running it I think he'll be around that mark though

That's actually unrealistic. Realistic would be 25g 25a. He's not a force onto himself, and will mostly finish offense others have started. Without a great playmaker on the team, the chances he hits 30 goals is pretty low.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
We can agree to disagree on whether AA is an NHL center, but my bigger point was that this lineup of centers is essentially doing what we've been frustrated by on defense for several years (slotting every guy one tier higher than he belongs, which usually results in some ugly moments on the ice.)
You said luckily it's preseason, I was getting at that's not preseason centers, those are our centers not counting Larkin. YOU may not see AA as a center (me either) the coaching staff does.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think mantha will actually "only" put up 25 goals and like 22 assists

This team will struggle to score

I think we will have a bunch of twenty goal guys but no big point producers overall (more spread out) apart from hopefully Larkin

Larkin 25 and 40
Nyquist 20 and 30
Mantha 25 and 22
Vanek 25 and 20
AA 20 and 22
Nielsen 15 and 25
Bert 20 and 20

That' about it

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
These guys will probably lose some of their goal amounts.

Henrik Zetterberg assisted goals at 2017-18 season:

Abdelkader (Zetterberg, Green) PP
Nyquist (Zetterberg, Daley)
Mantha (Zetterberg, Nyquist)
Nielsen (Zetterberg, Mantha)
Tatar (Zetterberg, Kronwall) PP
Helm (Abdelkader, Zetterberg)
Nyquist (Zetterberg, Abdelkader)
Nyquist (Zetterberg, Mantha)
Tatar (Zetterberg, Abdelkader) PP
Tatar (Kronwall, Zetterberg) PP
Booth (Zetterberg, Abdelkader)
Abdelkader (Nyquist, Zetterberg)
Tatar (Kronwall, Zetterberg) PP
DeKeyser (Zetterberg, Frk)
Tatar (Zetterberg, Kronwall) PP
Nyquist (Zetterberg, Tatar) PP
Mantha (Zetterberg)
Daley (Zetterberg, Larkin)
Nyquist (Zetterberg, Mantha)
Nyquist (Zetterberg, Bertuzzi)
Nyquist (Bertuzzi, Zetterberg)
Nyquist (Zetterberg, DeKeyser)
Nyquist (Bertuzzi, Zetterberg)
Abdelkader (Tatar, Zetterberg) PP
Mantha (Zetterberg, Athanasiou)
Mantha (Zetterberg, Kronwall) PP
Nyquist (Zetterberg)
Frk (Kronwall, Zetterberg) PP
-----------------------------
Mantha (Zetterberg, Kronwall)
Mantha (Kronwall, Zetterberg) PP
Green (Zetterberg, Larkin)
----------------------------- These three goals happened in same game against the Islanders on February 9th. 1+3 for Zetterberg. Might have been his last monster game, his dry season started after this. The back injury happened?

Mantha (Zetterberg, Jensen)
Abdelkader (Nielsen, Zetterberg) PP
Kronwall (Zetterberg, Abdelkader) PP
Nielsen (Zetterberg) PP
Daley (Bertuzzi, Zetterberg)
Nyquist (Abdelkader, Zetterberg)
Bertuzzi (DeKeyser, Zetterberg)
Nyquist (Zetterberg, Bertuzzi)
DeKeyser (Nyquist, Zetterberg)
Nyquist (Zetterberg, Abdelkader) PP
Bertuzzi (Zetterberg, Kronwall) PP
Bertuzzi (Zetterberg, Nyquist)
Bertuzzi (Zetterberg, Kronwall)
Abdelkader (Zetterberg, Kronwall) PP (last goal Zetterberg assisted on his career)

Zetterberg assisted:

- 13 Nyquist goals
- 7 Mantha goals
- 6 Tatar goals
- 5 Abdelkader goals
- 4 Bertuzzi goals

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
That's actually unrealistic. Realistic would be 25g 25a. He's not a force onto himself, and will mostly finish offense others have started. Without a great playmaker on the team, the chances he hits 30 goals is pretty low.

I dont think its a stretch with an improved power play for him to score 6 more goals on the year. Like I said its hopeful, as in the higher end I would predict, but if he only scores 4 more goals thats still 28 goals on the year which is damn close to thirty. He basically had a 25-25 season like youre saying is realistic in his first full year.

Why is expecting him to not improve anymore realistic than expecting him to improve by a few goals and assists if the PP improves? He should be relied on a bit more offensively this year as well without Z around to take up as many minutes as he did last year. 4 more goals and 4 more assists is what I think is a fair prediction right now. If hes playing with Larkin I think he'll do it

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Hronek/Cholo/Zadina/Ras.

If the 4 of them combine for 20 pp assists throughout the season I'd be happy. So that makes the PP pretty much the same last year, but then Green, Daley, Nielsen are all older and declining so that won't boost anything. I expect the number and conversion percentage to be the same as last year.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Where does this improved power-play come from without Henrik Zetterberg?

He assisted most of our PP goals (18).

A lot of special team success comes from coaching. Bylsma has always ran a successful powerplay. I'm not saying they'll be top 5 in the league but I would bet it improves. I also think that people are overlooking Larkin and Mantha a bit. Theyve been around for a while but theyre still ridiculously young, theyll have personal growth and likely fill a lot of the void left by Zetterberg by getting even more offensive minutes and 5 on 5 minutes throughout the game. Ireally think, at minimum the PP stays close to what it was last year but likely improves.

Zetterberg assisted most of the PP goals because he played a stupid amount of minutes for a guy his age/health level. Those minutes have to go somewhere and I doubt they go to Glendening and Witkowski. It will be Mantha and Larkin picking up all the offensive slack left behind by Zetterberg. I also think between more ice time and personal development of 22 and 23 year olds (5 on 5 and PP) that it isnt crazy to think production could go up a bit. We're talking maybe 3 more points on the PP and 3 more points at even strength and hes hitting pretty much what I expect.

We're talking about a player who scored 24 goals at the age of 23 in 17 mins a game. He no longer has Tatar taking away PP time and touches, Zetterberg is gone, Nyquist is probably gone by the deadline. I bet his minutes are closer to 20 a game this year with Larkin and with that more production.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not to mention we'll have a full year of Green vs. 66gp last year, even if he's a year older...more younger legs will also help the PP & 5on5. KH mentioned Zetterberg played 5th most 5on5 minutes in the NHL last year...(assuming he meant among forwards)...5th Most! AA will help with zone entries on PP & 5on5, as will Nielsen, albeit slightly lesser. I think Nielsen will surprise with 50ish pts, if he has Nyquist & Raz/Bert/Z.

Hopefully Green is on PP#1, while Kronner/Hronek split PP#2 QB duties. 4F & 1D on PP is the newer trend in the NHL & rightfully so. By seasons end, or sooner, Cholo could supplant Kronner on PP as well.

I expect similar conversion %, but more sustained pressure & movement b/c of youthful energy.

With new blood brings youthful exuberance, belief & higher expectations. There will be growing pains, but this season will be a Galvanizing one. Enough leadership to keep the ship steady, like Luke in Star Wars: "Red Leader to Gold Leader" "stay on target, stay on target", then boom, Death Star destroyed.

Reactions: MacGyver

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Hmm... no Kronwall or Green.

Helm - Nielsen - Nyquist
Vanek - AA - Zadina
Smith - Glendening - Svechnikov
Puempel - Holmström - Pope

Ericsson - Daley
Sulak - Hronek
Chelios - Kotyk
Hicketts

Bernier/Rybar

I could imagine Hicketts for small minutes because he is the only one who is playing back-to-back.

Brenden Kotyk at eliteprospects.com

What is the point of having this guy on the roster? If you need a big righty, go with McIlrath.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Well let's see what Bernier's made of. And I hope Zadina scores against his fav. team. We won't hold it against ya Fil since you play for us now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad