Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks Re-Sign Marcus Kruger (2 years / 1.325 AAV)

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
I cannot recall a 4th line center being as big of a lightning rod for controversy as Marcus Kruger is. It's pretty weird.

For real. Home grown young guy getting 4th line money with 3rd line upside. A good penalty killer. Has enough skating and hands to make the puck possession game plan work even on the 4th line. I think he's a great fit for us.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Bickell-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Pirri-Hossa
Saad-Shaw-Morin
Kruger-Handzus-Smith
Carcillo, Bollig

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Oduya
Rozsival-Leddy
Brookbank

Crawford
Khabibulin

I've got that team at $648,205 of cap space. The team is healthy and looks good on paper.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
What's so great about Stalberg in the playoffs? Oh yeah, goal less once again.

How did the line AND the team play in either's presence? Case closed.

If the ultimate goal for the Chicago Blackhawks is to roll four lines, I see no benefit whatsoever of removing Kruger from the fourth line center role.

There's nothing wrong with putting Handzus, who's a much older player, in a lesser role that requires less minutes. While there's nothing wrong with (necessarily) leaving Kruger in the 4C role, the Hawks are much better suited to expand his presence as a young player entering his 3rd season of NA hockey. At some point we have to figure out exactly what he can/can't do, and discern if he's making measurable progress. That will be hard to assess if given 4th line minutes.

What's so wrong with Kruger as the fourth line center?

See above

Kruger has the weakest wrist shot on the Chicago Blackhawks aside from Dan Carcillo. Great vision? Where all these tap in goals for the Chicago Blackhawks when Kruger is centering a line?

Kruger's never going to have the best shot. Okay, we get it (nobody's arguing this fact either). You act as if that's the end all, be all, in determining what kind of player he may/may not become. That's very short-sighted.

See above.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
It's not even short-sighted, it's just dumb. Kruger will never be a sniper. Ever. Most of his goals will come from within 6 feet of the net. There's nothing wrong with that.

If Kruger can be a 15G, 40Pt third line centre, who plays great defense and is a key PKer, that's a damn good player to have on your team. And make no mistake, Kruger's more than capable of being that.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Bickell-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Pirri-Hossa
Saad-Shaw-Morin
Kruger-Handzus-Smith
Carcillo, Bollig

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Oduya
Rozsival-Leddy
Brookbank

Crawford
Khabibulin

I've got that team at $648,205 of cap space. The team is healthy and looks good on paper.

Not only that, but with Pirri, LeBlanc, Kruger, Shaw, and Handzus the Hawks have a ton of flexibility at the center position depending what Pirri and Leblanc do in camp. It's possible both could make the team, moving Shaw and Kruger to wings, or one could make it with the other being sent down (does LeBlanc have any options?). If both and or Shaw and Kruger show improvements, we could trade Handzus at some point in the season (not sure if he has a no trade clause). The blue line looks pretty good (hoping Roszi can play as well over 82 games), and we got a stable group of goaltenders.

If Pirri and our LeBlanc pan out and we get our PP figured out (big if on that one) this team could be deadly.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
It's not even short-sighted, it's just dumb. Kruger will never be a sniper. Ever. Most of his goals will come from within 6 feet of the net. There's nothing wrong with that.

If Kruger can be a 15G, 40Pt third line centre, who plays great defense and is a key PKer, that's a damn good player to have on your team. And make no mistake, Kruger's more than capable of being that.

Not to mention that's nothing less than what Bolland did in his time here. If Kruger can play defense, improve at the dot, and offer what you provide there shouldn't be any complaints about that kind of production.

I don't know if Kruger will ever do that, but I think it's more plausible than some around here do. I just think many underestimate the transition period required for most when coming over from Europe. Now the Kruger's found some traction, I think he may really start to blossom as a player.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)

This

Why don't more people see Kruger as a 3rd line center? A line centered by Kruger with Shaw and Saad as wings could be a very good shutdown line that still has some offensive punch. And a 4th line with some mix of Leblanc, Morin, Smith, Carcillo, and Bollig. Mix Handzus in there 50 games a year or so.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
For two more years at 1.325 against the cap, this contract has good value, even if he doesn't improve. I'm happy about this bridge deal, and I still think Kruger will improve in some areas. I don't expect much more offensively. If some of the prospects can snag his ice time, I don't think it will be difficult to move him for at least a fair return.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Kruger just really REALLY needs to get stronger. Almost all of his problems come from that.

Glad to have him back though. Wish we could have kept Frolik with him too.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He didn't overpay Frolik and Seabrook and Bickell would most definitely have gotten more on the market.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
He had to be a RFA again. It would only be 5 years in the league and he is not 28.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
This

Why don't more people see Kruger as a 3rd line center? A line centered by Kruger with Shaw and Saad as wings could be a very good shutdown line that still has some offensive punch. And a 4th line with some mix of Leblanc, Morin, Smith, Carcillo, and Bollig. Mix Handzus in there 50 games a year or so.

Im sorry but i very much disagree. Shaw and Kruger did not play "shutdown center" roles last year. Putting them together to try and do that now would be a mistake. The Hawks will likely do something similar to what they did last year and play the top two lines against the toughest competition.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Im sorry but i very much disagree. Shaw and Kruger did not play "shutdown center" roles last year. Putting them together to try and do that now would be a mistake. The Hawks will likely do something similar to what they did last year and play the top two lines against the toughest competition.

I didn't necessarily mean a straight, match-up shutdown line. I meant more of a defensive-oriented line that still had some offensive punch. With the way Q just rolls his lines, I don't expect him to chase matchups during the regular season.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
When most aging, regressing UFA 4th liners are signed for about $1M, it's impossible to hate this deal.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
True! but that's not saying too much.

It says that the Hawks got him for less than market value. Another way of putting that is Bickell took a pay cut to stay, and it was a good contract. Just because he didn't get what everyone thought he might doesn't mean it was a bad contract.

Obviously, at the end of the day, Bickell is overpaid. But that's what the markets like and Bickell could have gotten more money elsewhere.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
Great contract for Kruger, feel like everyone should be elated at that cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad