cut.jpg

GAME DAY: Blackhawks at Maple Leafs
Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby
GAME DAY: Blackhawks at Maple Leafs

7 P.M., Scotiabank Arena
TV: Sportsnet RADIO: TSN 1050
THE BIG MATCHUP
C Auston Matthews vs. RW Patrick Kane

We take you back to Oct. 7 at the United Center, a wild finish with the two American stars accounting for three goals in 55 seconds, a pair by Kane, as the lead changed hands and they traded celebrations designed to rile the opposition. Since that 7-6 Toronto overtime win, Kane has had the better season, now on the cusp of 100 points and before Tuesday, tied for second in the NHL. Matthews checks in with 61 in 55 games.
KEYS TO THE GAME
1. OPERATION: DESPERATION

The Hawks cleaned out Arizona 7-1 on Monday, continuing an improved second half and putting themselves in a crowd of teams just a handful of points out of wildcard country. The Leafs took Tuesday off to regain strength after they came off a week-long road trip with injuries and a flu bug that left them easy pickings for Tampa Bay.
2. BLUE LINE BLUES
The Leafs were stumbling badly in their own end on Monday, notably the Martin Marincin – Igor Ozhiganov combination which must do better against elite teams with no sign of the injured Travis Dermott and Jake Gardiner and Marlie prospect Calle Rosen still hurt.
3. SWITCH ON MITCH
After back-to-back three-point games, leading scorer Mitch Marner has been held to one assist in his last three outings and could be blanked in three straight appearances for just the second time this season. A couple of power play chances against Chicago’s league-worst penalty kill would help.
4. TOEW-ING THE LINE
Jonathan Toews is at 30 goals for the first time since 2010-11 as the veteran Hawks from the Cup years keep showing they have some bite left. The Leafs need something from their warhorse forward with Patrick Marleau held to two goals since Feb. 1.
5. KAP SPACE
One of the flu-ravaged Leafs, Kasperi Kapanen’s speed was definitely missing against the Lightning and in his place, William Nylander was still not quite clicking with Matthews.
LEAFS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Zach Hyman John Tavares Mitch Marner
Andreas Johnsson Auston Matthews W. Nylander/K. Kapanen
Patrick Marleau Nazem Kadri Connor Brown
T. Ennis/N. Petan Frederik Gauthier Trevor Moore
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Morgan Rielly Ron Hainsey
Jake Muzzin Nikita Zaitsev
Martin Marincin Igor Ozhiganov
GOALIES
Frederik Andersen
Garret Sparks
SICK BAY
D Jake Gardiner (back)
D Travis Dermott (shoulder)
BLACKHAWKS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Brandon Saad Jonathan Toews Dylan Sikura
Dominik Kahun Artem Anisimov Patrick Kane
Alex DeBrincat Dylan Strome Brendan Perlini
Chris Kunitz David Kampf Marcus Kruger
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Duncan Keith Gustav Forsling
Carl Dahlstrom Connor Murphy
Gustav Forsling Brent Seabrook
GOALIES
Corey Crawford
Collin Delia
SICK BAY
G Cam Ward (knee)
C Drake Caggiula (concussion)
SPECIAL TEAMS
POWER PLAY

Toronto: 22.5% (7th)
Chicago: 20.9% (12th)
PENALTY KILLING
Toronto: 80.3% (17th)
Chicago: 73.3% (31st)

Wednesday NHL game preview: Chicago Blackhawks at Toronto Maple Leafs
By Mark ZwolinskiSports Reporter
Tues., March 12, 2019
SCOTIABANK ARENA
FACEOFF:
7 p.m.
Wednesday NHL game preview: Chicago Blackhawks at Toronto Maple Leafs | The Star

toews.jpg

Blackhawks centre Jonathan Toews has 71 points this season, the most he has managed since 2010-11. (Armando L. Sanchez / TNS)

TV: Sportsnet
RADIO: TSN Radio 1050 Toronto
KEY PLAYERS
Tavares/Perlini
The Blackhawks’ Brendan Perlini notched his career first hat trick in a 7-1 win over Arizona Monday. Perlini has six goals in his last five games. He was acquired from Arizona last November after his offence had dried up over a three-year period with the Coyotes. John Tavares, like every other Leaf, is looking for a return to form after a dreadful outing against Tampa Bay on Monday.
NEED TO KNOW
Chicago has a definite big three with Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Alex DeBrincat. Kane is among the NHL leaders with 41 goals, while Toews has 30 and DeBrincat 37. The Blackhawks are on a three-game winning streak and five points behind Minnesota for the final wild-card berth. With 13 games remaining, Chicago must leap over both Arizona and Colorado to catch the Wild ... Toews, with 71 points, is having an excellent season after managing just 52 points in 72 games a year ago, when he was one of the scapegoats for a Chicago's failure to make the playoffs.
UP NEXT Friday vs. Philadelphia, 7 p.m.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Boston lost yesterday; we n and close the gap. Go for home ice.

No excuses to not show up after that monstrosity against the bolts

Reactions: ULF_55

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Leafs have to win games like this to catch Boston. No excuse not to win it either. Come out with a full 60 minute effort, and they should get the W.

They should have plenty of motivation after that embarrassing loss Monday. I think Matthews will have a big game tonight.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Boston lost their second in a row, so we need to take advantage and get within 2 here.

Boston plays Winnipeg IN Winnipeg tomorrow night, so there’s a good chance we will have the chance to jump back ahead this weekend.

If this team isn’t hungry tonight, I’m not sure what will get them hungry

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This place is dead, dead, dead. Does everyone have everyone else on ignore?

Calm before the storm.

If they don't show up tonight, there'll be lots of discussion in the Post Game Celebration.

I'd like to see them go with 3 defenders and 2 forwards at regular strength.
That way there might be one forward in the d-zone occasionally doing something on the d-side of the puck.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Time to try and get things playoff ready
Nylander and Matthews back together. Noone is benefiting by having Nylander on the third line

Can Holl be any worse than marincin? One gets all kind sof opportunities even when playing terribly, the other gets no breaks

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
Looking fwd to this one too.

Interested to see local kid Strome in breakout season after trade, with Debrincat.

Ok, don't want to see them play too well!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Time to try and get things playoff ready
Nylander and Matthews back together. Noone is benefiting by having Nylander on the third line

Can Holl be any worse than marincin? One gets all kind sof opportunities even when playing terribly, the other gets no breaks

Holl has been awful every time he’s hit the ice this year.

Frankly, if we want to replace Marincin, we need any of Rosen, Borgman, Dermott or Gardiner to get healthy :laugh:

Or, pull the pin, and bring up Sandin for a few.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
This place is dead, dead, dead. Does everyone have everyone else on ignore?
For a group of people that have our Leafs as a reason to come together to cheer for, there are far too many of us that treat one another like complete crap, just because we have different opinions on our Leafs.

I have started to put people on ignore because they treat me like I'm a hated fan from another team. If someone disrespects me because I feel Nylander is overpaid and under performing, or, our coach makes dumb decisions at times, or, Matthews is dogging it, I have stopped putting up with that treatment.

At the start of this season, I had one member on ignore. Now, I have a dozen or so. Too bad people, that have something in common to cheer for, have to act superior, belittle, and, be down right rude to others.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I feel if we lose tonight we aren't catching Boston. Must win against a shit team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Been looking forward to this one all year, can't remember the last time I saw the Hawks.

This is going to be a good one.

Agreed,

Since Jonathan Toews is my favourite NHL player, the games I look forward to most in a Leafs season is when the Buds take on JT and his Hawks.

Now we have our own JT to go head to head.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
This one needs to be a win but if it isn't, they better get a loser point. Not many games left to make up the difference and they need to string some wins together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad