Friedman: Blackhawks interested in Kuzmenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
He was a 30-40 goal scorer last season shooting at 27%. That has nothing to do with this season or the next. The reality is Kuzmenko is a healthy scratch player with a big caphit, who the Canucks are looking to move. If JR doesn't like a player, that player is done with the franchise.
Wrong. He doesn’t fit Tocchett’s system. He’s still a 30+ goal scorer.

Reactions: gianni

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Wrong. He doesn’t fit Tocchett’s system. He’s still a 30+ goal scorer.
No he isn't. If he shot an average forward shooting percentage of 11% he'd have scored 16 goals last season. Kind of like what he's on pace for this season. It's like the year Mangiapane shot 19% except much more unsustainable. Kuzmenko will never touch 30 again. He'll score 15 to 25.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
No he isn't. If he shot an average forward shooting percentage of 11% he'd have scored 16 goals last season. Kind of like what he's on pace for this season. It's like the year Mangiapane shot 19% except much more unsustainable. Kuzmenko will never touch 30 again. He'll score 15 to 25.
Kuzmenko has a high shooting percentage because he doesn’t shoot for volume. He’s a pure finisher that makes the right play and only shoots when it’s a high quality scoring chance. Tocchet just doesn’t like his back checking or defensive awareness. He’ll get 30 again.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Kuzmenko has a high shooting percentage because he doesn’t shoot for volume. He’s a pure finisher that makes the right play and only shoots when it’s a high quality scoring chance. Tocchet just doesn’t like his back checking or defensive awareness. He’ll get 30 again.
No he won't. He's shooting 12% this year and his numbers are in line with what I just stated. People said the same thing about Mangiapane and Brad Boyes. Boyes scored 43 one year shooting 21%. Kuzmenko shot over 27%. Elite shooters like Ovechkin, Matthews, Pastrnak, Laine ect shoot 13-14%. No one shoots 27%.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Ok, so he's the most accurate shooter in NHL history by a mile. We're also just going to ignore every case of players shooting 25-30% and then regressing back to 12-15% where every player falls to. Like what happened to him this season. Kuzy isn't some generational talent, he's just another in a long list of players who played hard for a contract and then regressed back to average

Reactions: Double Dion

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Imo Kuzzy would be moved for a mid round pick if the Canucks have another trade lined up to bring in a guy like Lindholm. Then it’s pretty much Kuzzy for Lindholm. Just not straight across. Kuzzy goes to Bieser the cap to bring in Lindholm.

Yea, if the Canucks are making a move that brings in cap, they’re not keeping Kuzmenko anyway, so either he’d go in that deal or a separate dump

Reactions: Fatass

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Ok, so he's the most accurate shooter in NHL history by a mile. We're also just going to ignore every case of players shooting 25-30% and then regressing back to 12-15% where every player falls to. Like what happened to him this season. Kuzy isn't some generational talent, he's just another in a long list of players who played hard for a contract and then regressed back to average
This is correct. Except elite shooters shoot 12-15%. Average shooters are like 9%.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yea, if the Canucks are making a move that brings in cap, they’re not keeping Kuzmenko anyway, so either he’d go in that deal or a separate dump
Yup. Imo a cap dump costs assets to unload. So Kuzzy isn’t a true cap dump (the Canucks will get back a mid round pick) but the purpose of moving him is to clear cap, that’s for sure.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yup. Imo a cap dump costs assets to unload. So Kuzzy isn’t a true cap dump (the Canucks will get back a mid round pick) but the purpose of moving him is to clear cap, that’s for sure.
If someone offers anything they should do it instantly. Can't have that cap tied up in contender mode. My guess is they'll need to attach a 3rd to move him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If CHicago has any brains (I am not sure if they do) you make Vancouver pay through the nose. They just want cap space to improve their team elsewhere.

1 dimensional "one year wonder" thus far who had an almost 30% shooting percentage last year and has sucked now and gets healthy scratched

The Hawks have 15 goals in the last 11 games and have been shutout 4 of the last 6

Hawks need NHL talent with offensive skillset

And will need it next year as well

Prospects like Nazar, Moore, etc are a couple years away from NHL upfront

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
The Hawks have 15 goals in the last 11 games and have been shutout 4 of the last 6

Hawks need NHL talent with offensive talent

And will need it next year as well

Prospects like Nazar, Moore, etc are a couple years away from NHL upfront
If Kuzmenko was a couple years younger, I would like it for CHI more.

You have a guy who can be lazy, unmotivated, and has been healthy scratched a lot.

Why would you want that around Bedard?

The guy is just regressing to the mean (One of the very few who has on that roster).

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If someone offers anything they should do it instantly. Can't have that cap tied up in contender mode. My guess is they'll need to attach a 3rd to move him.

If they don’t make a move at the deadline though I’d rather keep him than give him away. If nothing else he gives options in the playoffs

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

edit: supposedly he said if he were them, maybe not a big deal though we know the Canucks and Blackhawks have made this kind of deal in the past so there is precedent for it with the Beauvillier trade.

edit again: he confirmed it in a later interview, video in post #28

Kuzmenko to Chicago for a 5th round pick?

Canucks then trade 2024 1st + future 2nd + Hunter Brzustewicz for Lindholm.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If they don’t make a move at the deadline though I’d rather keep him than give him away. If nothing else he gives options in the playoffs
Sure, makes sense. I'm assuming though with all the smoke the Canucks are looking to make at least 1 addition. Likely 2.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Lekkermaki + Willander + 1st round Pick + 2nd Round Pick + Kuzmenko + My Life for Connor Bedard.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
No he won't. He's shooting 12% this year and his numbers are in line with what I just stated. People said the same thing about Mangiapane and Brad Boyes. Boyes scored 43 one year shooting 21%. Kuzmenko shot over 27%. Elite shooters like Ovechkin, Matthews, Pastrnak, Laine ect shoot 13-14%. No one shoots 27%.
I've said this before but for one example this season aside Mark Scheifele averaged about 18% for a good 5 seasons, with a peak of 20.4. There's always someone in a season shooting above 20%, looking at this season Sam Reinhart is shooting 27.6%. And the elite shooters you're listing above are also volume shooters.

Not sure why it's such a hard concept for some people to grasp. You don't just 'get lucky' over an 82 game season.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Bullshit, You're completely ignoring his KHL production.

You should actually watch games before spewing nonsense.

Kuzmenko is dynamic with a wicked shot. His problem is he got too confident after scoring 40 goals and didn't train properly. He's always a step behind the play now.

If he has an actual gary roberts like training regiment in the summer he will score 30-40 goals easy.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The back being scratched is $5.5 million in cap opening up.
It’s surprising how many people still don’t understand how important cap space is. If Vancouver has another deal lined up where they can utilize that $5.5M better, they’ll absolutely look at dumping Kuzmenko. That said, I can still see him fetching a 3rd or equivalent prospect in this case. Chicago desperately needs some talent to play alongside Bedard and despite his warts, Kuzmenko is probably among the better offensive forwards Chicago could hope to acquire in this sort of scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad