Friedman: Blackhawks interested in Kuzmenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

edit: supposedly he said if he were them, maybe not a big deal though we know the Canucks and Blackhawks have made this kind of deal in the past so there is precedent for it with the Beauvillier trade.

edit again: he confirmed it in a later interview, video in post #28

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD and banks

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Err... Is VAN looking to get rid of him? He's almost 28 and doesn't really fit Chicago's rebuild except to turn around and flip with retention.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Err... Is VAN looking to get rid of him? He's almost 28 and doesn't really fit Chicago's rebuild except to turn around and flip with retention.
I can see a 2-3 year extension and then he gets flipped. So not a long term rebuild asset but one who bridges the gap. Especially since hall gets traded next year

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
For a minimal price, I'm into it.

We desperately need players who don't project as checking line forwards, especially to play with Bedard.

Come the 2025 deadline, Hawks trade him with retention for a small haul.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

Honestly, no? But the team could make some big moves and take a serious run at the cup this year and Kuzmenko is underperforming, and someone's got to move to make a deal happen.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
People saying this makes a ton of sense..... explain?

Why does a rebuilding team nowhere near the playoffs want to trade assets for a prime aged player on a short term deal?

To flip him? How can they know they get more than they end up having to pay? Surely Vancouver knows the market for him better than Chicago does. If someone is willing to pay more for him than Chi, why wouldn't Vancouver just go straight to the source and take that deal? Retention I guess but seems like a lot of work for a small gain.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Why does a rebuilding team nowhere near the playoffs want to trade assets for a prime aged player on a short term deal?

To flip him? How can they know they get more than they end up having to pay? Surely Vancouver knows the market for him better than Chicago does. If someone is willing to pay more for him than Chi, why wouldn't Vancouver just go straight to the source and take that deal? Retention I guess but seems like a lot of work for a small gain.
Don’t think he’s costing the assets you think mhr will

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
He's a one dimensional winger on pace for 15 goals making $5.5M through 2025.

If this trade happens it should be Vancouver sending out picks not Chicago.

He had 39 last year and has a ton of talent, he's struggled under Tocchet but was great with Boudreau and Chicago doesn't care about term or cap space since they aren't trying to compete anyways.

Chicago only has 3 forwards on the roster who make more than 2 million a year.

Blackhawks would likely be looking to buy low on a player who had 39 goals in his debut season and has struggled under a new coach. Chicago has a ton of cap space, roster space, and room for Kuzmenko to be more creative, and needs to give Bedard people to play with who have some semblance of skill.

Plus, we literally just saw them do this with the Canucks in the Beauvillier deal.

The Canucks' asset in this deal is the cap space, which can then be used to bring in another top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
He doesn't fit Tocchet's system so he's been the odd man out for that reason. If Chicago lets him play under a less rigid structure then I could definitely see his point totals going back up.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He had 39 last year and has a ton of talent, he's struggled under Tocchet but was great with Boudreau and Chicago doesn't care about term or cap space since they aren't trying to compete anyways.

Chicago only has 3 forwards on the roster who make more than 2 million a year.

Blackhawks would likely be looking to buy low on a player who had 39 goals in his debut season and has struggled under a new coach. Chicago has a ton of cap space, roster space, and room for Kuzmenko to be more creative, and needs to give Bedard people to play with who have some semblance of skill.

Plus, we literally just saw them do this with the Canucks in the Beauvillier deal.

The Canucks' asset in this deal is the cap space, which can then be used to bring in another top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman.
He had 39 last year because he shot 27.3%. One of the flukiest individual seasons in NHL history.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I don’t think he would be seen as a long term move, but the danger of rebuilds is that they can stunt the growth of the players you’re trying to build around. Bedard could use some more talent to learn to play off of. The team is also playing well lately but can’t seem to score. The losing can take its toll and maybe a few more goals and wins can help keep motivation up. I don’t imagine they would be giving up much. I think Vancouver only moves him if they need cap space for other moves

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
He had 39 last year because he shot 27.3%. One of the flukiest individual seasons in NHL history.

Great, though we've heard all year that multiple teams have been consistently checking in on him, so it's not an outlier.

He also went from a coach who let him do what he wanted and play on the powerplay with Pettersson, Hughes, Miller, and Boeser, to a coach who doesn't trust him and minimal powerplay time. Letting Kuzmenko do whatever he wants for a mid pick is a good bet for Chicago as they need forwards and don't care about cap space, while also retaining and trading him at the deadline next year.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Kuzmenko is a smart and extremely creative player, the vast majority of his goals weren't flukey shots beating goalies at distance, they were sneaking into open space and depositing the puck EP sent him into an open net.

No one thinks he's going to score 38 goals again, and no one thinks he's going to shoot 27% again, you're tilting at windmills here. He can however provide a legit offensive spark and be a very dynamic player on the PP, which is exactly what Bedard needs right now. You can only do so much playing catch with Nick Foligno.

I expect it will probably be a low pick coming back to Van, or future considerations. Vancouver covets the capspace more than anything, just like the Beauvillier trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad