Blackhawks announce rebuild in message to fans

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
No tearing down a team is rebuilding. There became this weird notion in the NHL suddenly that rebuilding is only trading every asset to go for #1 since Toronto did that.

Lol after adding a draft lotto then changing the draft lotto again to make it harder for teams to get first. why do you think people are trying to copy the great and mighty Leafs?
The tank rebuild is as old as the draft

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
ept_sports_nhl_experts-419546220-1270683223.jpg

What the heck is up with that nose? Disgusting!

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
It would have made a lot more sense to announce this before the draft and free agency and then start making moves to that effect.

If I were the Hawks I would start by firing Stan Bowman and getting a better GM to rebuild the team.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Yep. blame the Salary Cap for this.

How so? The spend, spend, spend, philosophy never worked for the Rangers. It has worked for teams that built a core through the draft first like Detroit and Quebec/Colorado. The lack of a cap allowed those teams to become near dynasties though, because it meant the could retain their talent while signing key free agents.

Go look at the list of Stanley Cup winners; their cores were all built through the draft. There is no point in middling for years when the best players are most often found in the top end of the draft.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
How so? The spend, spend, spend, philosophy never worked for the Rangers. It has worked for teams that built a core through the draft first like Detroit and Quebec/Colorado. The lack of a cap allowed those teams to become near dynasties though, because it meant the could retain their talent while signing key free agents.

Go look at the list of Stanley Cup winners ;they were all built through the draft.

While I agree you need to build through the draft, the salary cap prevents you from keeping your drafted good players together. Which is why Tampa Bay need to move pieces, or why Chicago needed to move pieces after their 2010 Cup Win. Unless you get lucky and draft a Crosby level player, we aren't going to see long competitive runs from any one team going forward which is honestly bad for the league. We have just as many crappy teams now as we did during the non cap era.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
While I agree you need to build through the draft, the salary cap prevents you from keeping your drafted good players together. Which is why Tampa Bay need to move pieces, or why Chicago needed to move pieces after their 2010 Cup Win. Unless you get lucky and draft a Crosby level player, we aren't going to see long competitive runs from any one team going forward which is honestly bad for the league. We have just as many crappy teams now as we did during the non cap era.

We may have as many crappy teams but more teams actually have a shot to win the Cup.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Part of that was Tallon messing up by not getting the QOs in on time, and having to overpay his own players to keep them. And they still won 2 cups after that.

It's definitely harder to manage a team with the cap in mind, but I think it makes it all a lot more interesting as well.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Aging core, legacy contract(s) a bit harder to win with........I get the rebuild and wish the Hawks good luck. But the timing of the announcement seems a bit odd to me, why now? Why not shortly pre draft and pre free agent frenzy?

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
So Toews is mad the team is going into a rebuild and saying he didnt sign up for that... think you did bud when you took that ridiculously bad contract you havent lived up to.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
OT BTW Google still shows Adam Burish in the list of Stanley cup champions

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Lol after adding a draft lotto then changing the draft lotto again to make it harder for teams to get first. why do you think people are trying to copy the great and mighty Leafs?
The tank rebuild is as old as the draft
Non tank rebuilding was considered rebuilding still. But now people say it's not a rebuild if not tanking.

Thats the change that occurred.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Non tank rebuilding was considered rebuilding still. But now people say it's not a rebuild if not tanking.

Thats the change that occurred.

all sorts of teams had money problems in the past and ditched everyone and anyone who deserved money and rebuilt drafting, the lower UFA age has made it a little tougher for cost control but the leafs changed nothing with this last rebuild. Remember everyone making fun of Burke for trying to fast rebuild?
It’s the way it always was.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
all sorts of teams had money problems in the past and ditched everyone and anyone who deserved money and rebuilt drafting, the lower UFA age has made it a little tougher for cost control but the leafs changed nothing with this last rebuild. Remember everyone making fun of Burke for trying to fast rebuild?
It’s the way it always was.
There's always been Multiples way to rebuild.

Your notion that's always been the way is ignoring the notion. I'm not saying nobody did it. But people now, like you, are saying that's only what a rebuild is.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
There's always been Multiples way to rebuild.

Your notion that's always been the way is ignoring the notion. I'm not saying nobody did it. But people now, like you, are saying that's only what a rebuild is.

Well you can rebuild through the draft, that is the most proven and successful method,.
Or you can rebuild trading and signing UFA’s but in a cap world that’s pretty tough and almost no one pulls that off
But rebuild....to build again. I’m not sure what you think rebuilding means but it is pretty self explanatory. If you keep your core or best players that would be a remodel or retool perhaps a slight repair job.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Well you can rebuild through the draft, that is the most proven and successful method,.
Or you can rebuild trading and signing UFA’s but in a cap world that’s pretty tough and almost no one pulls that off
But rebuild....to build again. I’m not sure what you think rebuilding means but it is pretty self explanatory. If you keep your core or best players that would be a remodel or retool perhaps a slight repair job.
Rebuild means every star is gone? That's never been a notion in sports before.
Tampa was considered rebuilding yet kept Vinnie or St. Louis while their young stars were forming. They even traded talent not always for draft or prospects E.G. Richards trade, that wasn't not considered a rebuild. Some people even say the Kings have been rebuilding, You would call it what?

That's what I'm saying suddenly changed. You seem to think there is a distinction and when did this distinction come to be you can't keep stars and rebuild. That's why I am pointing to as sudden since this Toronto or so era of tearing the team down. (which also has not lead to any success of the teams that did this)

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
If you are a hawks fan and your management just admitted the team is going to suck badly for years. Are you ok with Trading your superstar player for possible future prosperity? Or is it just too difficult to watch an awful team with nobody worth tuning in for while watching a rebuild?

Trade Kane, yay or nay?

Its actually silly of me to miss Toews there because the Hawks have 2 superstars. My bad.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
Rangers have started another new strategy with rebuilding letters ...same thing with the stick salute to the fans after home ice wins...copycats lol

Reactions: Calad

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Toews could be like Messier, go win the cup somewhere else. Buffalo has cap space
19911005h1-messier-cam_cole.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad