Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks acquire D Tim Erixon from CBJ for F Jeremy Morin

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Give away our future?

We have TONS of prospects in the minors, several well ahead of Hartman in both development and projected ceiling.

Going after one rental isn't going to sink the team. In fact, it could greatly help the team.

But who gets to be the odd man out? Vermette (even at a 50% cap hit) would still force us to trade away a current hawk.

So who goes? Rosie has a NTC, and may be needed if TVR cant return to form (Q will never trust a Rundblad and Erixon pairing in the playoffs). Shaw is having a mediocre year, but he's a great locker room prescience and could really help this team if he can return to being a net front prescience. Versteeg is having a fantastic year (despite a few injuries), and Richards has a NMC.

And yes, we have tons of prospects. Smart thing would be to trade away a few like Hartman and Clendening in favor of a solid prospect who could actually help us in the future.

I'll except whatever move Bowman ends up doing, but I'd like to have us at least give Teuvo a shot at filling a center position before we start giving away former first round picks for rentals.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
But if the deal for Vermette was Hartman and a 2nd, it would without a doubt make this year's team better. And while I don't watch ahl games, from everything I've read, Hartman is unlikely to develop into a player who will be missed. I don't think Hartman and a 2nd would get it done, but I'd be all over it.

Sure, but he'll go for more than that. And I wasn't discussing whether or not to deal for him, just laughing at those who are debating who has the better C's as if that alone determines how far a team will go. We are fine down the middle IMO.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Sure, but he'll go for more than that. And I wasn't discussing whether or not to deal for him, just laughing at those who are debating who has the better C's as if that alone determines how far a team will go. We are fine down the middle IMO.

Are we?

We have no idea how Richards is going fare down the stretch and into the playoffs. Recent history suggests we can expect a significant dip in performance.

And let's be honest, relying on Andrew Shaw or TT as a 3C into the playoffs seems like a hope move more than a sign of depth. Even at his best Shaw is a pretty crummy center, he's a much better winger. And TT is a rookie. You want to throw him in at center for a playoff run?

Kruger and Toews are the only sure things we have.

And that's not counting the possibility of injury to either.

No, we need another legit center. To be sure. Even with the issues Oduya has been having and Q's insistence on playing Rozsi, this team needs a legit center more than anything else to put them over the top.

If you have to ship Shaw or Bickell out to make it happen, then I say go for it. We have the winger depth to get by.

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
Are we?

We have no idea how Richards is going fare down the stretch and into the playoffs. Recent history suggests we can expect a significant dip in performance.

And let's be honest, relying on Andrew Shaw or TT as a 3C into the playoffs seems like a hope move more than a sign of depth. Even at his best Shaw is a pretty crummy center, he's a much better winger. And TT is a rookie. You want to throw him in at center for a playoff run?

No, we need another legit center. To be sure. Even with the issues Oduya has been having and Q's insistence on playing Rozsi, this team needs a legit center more than anything else to put them over the top.

If you have to ship Shaw or Bickell out to make it happen, then I say go for it. We have the winger depth to get by.

This team has needed a legit #2 center it seems like forever. If Richards runs out of gas like he did the 2nd half of last season. Watch out. It will be another Q playing Zeus scenario but this time his name will be Richards.
Acquiring a legit 2nd line center is out of the question. Bowman would rather overpay some player or some stiff rather than fill this obvious hole.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Just for fun, let's compare a potential lineup for this year's playoffs (without Richards) against the lineup we had during game 7 against the kings.

Bickell Toews Hossa
Saad Shaw Kane
Sharp Kruger Smith
Bollig Handzus Versteeg

Bickell Toews Hossa
Saad Shaw Kane
Sharp TT Versteeg
Nordy Kruger Smith

We were one goal away from our second Stanley Cup, while wasting a whole line on useless Bollig, slow as **** Handzus, and broken/slow Versteeg. Even if Richards needs to be seated, our lines are a noticeable step forward this year. I'd also like to point out that the Kings had to get rid of a few players due to the cap, Voynov's legal trouble, and injuries to players like Tanner Pearson.

The fact is that as long as we are relatively healthy, we are the odds on favorite to win. Their is no reason to try to shake up the roster by trading away a Shaw or Bickell, nor is there any reason to try to trade prospects for a guy like Vermette.

Vermette will cost more than just Hartman because his presence could easily address the needs of other teams more than ours. Florida could use him to help secure a playoff spot. Rangers could use someone who can actually win a faceoff. We'd have to give too much to get him, and all he'd ever be is a rental.

You want this team to improve through trades? Talk about potential defensemen on expiring contracts. We don't need any more depth at center or forward in general.

And way to go guys, you brought hawknut out of his shell. Thanks...

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Just for fun, let's compare a potential lineup for this year's playoffs (without Richards) against the lineup we had during game 7 against the kings.

Bickell Toews Hossa
Saad Shaw Kane
Sharp Kruger Smith
Bollig Handzus Versteeg

Bickell Toews Hossa
Saad Shaw Kane
Sharp TT Versteeg
Nordy Kruger Smith

We were one goal away from our second Stanley Cup, while wasting a whole line on useless Bollig, slow as **** Handzus, and broken/slow Versteeg. Even if Richards needs to be seated, our lines are a noticeable step forward this year. I'd also like to point out that the Kings had to get rid of a few players due to the cap, Voynov's legal trouble, and injuries to players like Tanner Pearson.

The fact is that as long as we are relatively healthy, we are the odds on favorite to win. Their is no reason to try to shake up the roster by trading away a Shaw or Bickell, nor is there any reason to try to trade prospects for a guy like Vermette.

Vermette will cost more than just Hartman because his presence could easily address the needs of other teams more than ours. Florida could use him to help secure a playoff spot. Rangers could use someone who can actually win a faceoff. We'd have to give too much to get him, and all he'd ever be is a rental.

You want this team to improve through trades? Talk about potential defensemen on expiring contracts. We don't need any more depth at center or forward in general.

And way to go guys, you brought hawknut out of his shell. Thanks...

I agree we're a better team than last year.

I just think we're in danger of the house of cards falling in the exact same way should the 2C hole open up again.

Instead of Handzus, it will be Richards buried down the lineup, and then you've got what, Shaw and Kruger going up the likes of Carter, Kesler, etc? No thanks.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Are we?

Yes, we are.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Phoenix fans said they would take both our 2nds and retain salary for Vermette. I'd be tempted to do that. He's a guy that can play top or bottom 6, wins a lot of FOs and gives us more depth up the middle. He's even a guy I'd be open to resigning long term if we could for a reasonable price and assuming he played well. I think PHX might be able to fetch a first round pick for him.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
We are adequate down the middle. Not deep by any means.

That's all we really need to be. Not interested in forking over our 1st+ to get Vermette, as that would probably be what it takes. Richards will be fine, he isn't playing near the minutes he used to, and isn't being relied on like he used to be. Shaw is playing the worst he has played in a long time, don't expect that to continue throughout the whole year, and the playoffs are where he usually shines. Not to mention, Steeger can play the middle in a pinch as can Sharp and Smith.

Kruger and Toews will play the shutdown roles easing the stress of the other 2 C's. PLus, I have zero interest in trading Shaw or Bickell, and highly doubt they move Roszival and roll with an inexperienced bottom pairing.Which means we have zero room to add Vermette no matter if they retain 50% or not.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
That's all we really need to be. Not interested in forking over our 1st+ to get Vermette, as that would probably be what it takes. Richards will be fine, he isn't playing near the minutes he used to, and isn't being relied on like he used to be. Shaw is playing the worst he has played in a long time, don't expect that to continue throughout the whole year, and the playoffs are where he usually shines. Not to mention, Steeger can play the middle in a pinch as can Sharp and Smith.

Kruger and Toews will play the shutdown roles easing the stress of the other 2 C's. PLus, I have zero interest in trading Shaw or Bickell, and highly doubt they move Roszival and roll with an inexperienced bottom pairing.Which means we have zero room to add Vermette no matter if they retain 50% or not.

Agree, this is probably just left-over anxiety from the Zus debacle. C depth is not the end-all-be-all, the problem is when a guy who isn't even an NHLer anymore is taking shifts with you best offensive player. Every team has areas that are question marks but Richards is playing great and his minutes are way down which should keep him fresh for the POs, if not Shaw, TT, and Smith are all better options than Zus last year and they are enough to win the Cup if the rest of the team is at the top of their game.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I can't for the life of me understand why everyone is against getting Vermette. It's mindblowing. It costs you some picks or a bottom 6er.

I guess we'll just stand pat and let Nashville or Anaheim take him. It'll work out great, I'm sure.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
This team has needed a legit #2 center it seems like forever. If Richards runs out of gas like he did the 2nd half of last season. Watch out. It will be another Q playing Zeus scenario but this time his name will be Richards.
Acquiring a legit 2nd line center is out of the question. Bowman would rather overpay some player or some stiff rather than fill this obvious hole.

Nobody else is going to say anything about this?

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
I can't for the life of me understand why everyone is against getting Vermette. It's mindblowing. It costs you some picks or a bottom 6er.

I guess we'll just stand pat and let Nashville or Anaheim take him. It'll work out great, I'm sure.

Everyone knows winning the trade deadline=winning the Cup. :sarcasm:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Gaborik- LA.

I was going to point this out. That was a huge pickup last year. I don't want to give up a bunch of prospects, but I would ceetainly consider it if it was just Hartman and a pick. Doubt that would get that job done, and Id consider that a steal IMO.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Also MSL to NY last year. So both SCF teams made an earth shaking move last season.

That's not why you do it, you do it because it makes your team better.

Can anyone argue that getting Vermette makes our team worse? Yea, he makes our team better. That's all that matters.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Mods, can we get a dedicated In-season trade rumor/roster move type thread like every other board in HF? It's kind of ridiculous that there are 4 pages of Vermette talk in a Morin/Erixon thread.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Gaborik- LA.

..and years prior? Maybe 1 here or there.

Fact is, we were missing our 2nd best C last year (Shaw) for 4 games of the LA series where we went 1-3, when Shaw came back, we went 2-1. Our C depth is fine, and we should keep restocking with young talent and not chase C's that aren't really a necessity.

I am not against trading for him, I just don't want to trade any salary off the team, or 1st round picks. If it's possible without doing that, than I am all for it. Don't believe it's possible though.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
..and years prior? Maybe 1 here or there.

Fact is, we were missing our 2nd best C last year (Shaw) for 4 games of the LA series where we went 1-3, when Shaw came back, we went 2-1. Our C depth is fine, and we should keep restocking with young talent and not chase C's that aren't really a necessity.

I am not against trading for him, I just don't want to trade any salary off the team, or 1st round picks. If it's possible without doing that, than I am all for it. Don't believe it's possible though.

Carter, also LA.

Also, if Shaw is your 2C, you have no C depth.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Are you still hot for Marcel Goc? :laugh:

still would take him. Why shouldn't we like him. He is better than Regin and would give us cheap C depth. Can Play PK too.

I wouldn't ask Goc to come in and Play Top9 role while giving up one of our recent 1st round picks that hasn't really lost value so far.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I'd be interested in Goc as well. It wouldn't take much to get him and Shaw could be moved to wing. I don't know if the Pens are interested in moving him, but it seems like a trade Bowman would make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad