Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks acquire D Tim Erixon from CBJ for F Jeremy Morin

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
don't want a rental that much...

not to mention that if we stick with Rundblad and extend him, it's better to get him some PO playing time.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
If Richards' play in the playoffs mirror his last few, we could move him to wing or take him off the lineup.

Handzus was needed due to his prescense on the pk. If Richards cant keep up, than our powerplay may suffer a tad (which Q doesn't even care about). And if Teuvo can stick with the team, he'd be able to fill that hole relatively easy.

A lineup without Richards:
Bickell Toews Hossa
Saad Shaw Kane
Sharp Teravainen Versteeg
Nordstrom Kruger Smith

A lineup with Richards on wing:
Bickell Toews Hossa
Saad Shaw Kane
Sharp Teravainen Versteeg
Richards Kruger Smith

Either way, we could make it work without overpaying for a rental.

Toews
Shaw
Teravainen

Vs.
Getzlaf
Kesler
Bonino

Backes
Lehtera
Stastny

Kopitar
Carter
Stoll

No way. I don't see why there is resistance here. Hartman isn't even on the Hawks NEXT year. 3 wings ahead of him IN THE MINORS.

And to the person who said Vermette might not be better than what we have... You haven't watched Vermette. Toews-lite in face offs great defensively, fast and leads his team in points.

That isn't even factoring in that another team... Say Nashville gets Vermette. That's trouble.

This is the year.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
An overpay for someone who may not be any better than what we have.
You never know how someone will play on a different team.

May not be better than what we have?

Vermette would immediately become the second best center on the Blackhawks.

Toews
Vermette
Richards
Kruger

That is center depth you can put up against the likes of LA and Anaheim

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
LA's is better.

Yes, LA's is better, but at least the Hawks would be in the same stratosphere, versus where they are now, with one elite center, one shutdown center, and two big question marks (one due to age, the other due to being Andrew Shaw).

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Toews
Shaw
Teravainen

Vs.
Getzlaf
Kesler
Bonino

Backes
Lehtera
Stastny

Kopitar
Carter
Stoll

No way. I don't see why there is resistance here. Hartman isn't even on the Hawks NEXT year. 3 wings ahead of him IN THE MINORS.

And to the person who said Vermette might not be better than what we have... You haven't watched Vermette. Toews-lite in face offs great defensively, fast and leads his team in points.

That isn't even factoring in that another team... Say Nashville gets Vermette. That's trouble.

This is the year.

1. Like others have said, Bonino isn't playing in Anaheim anymore. He was involved in the trade for Kesler.

2. Kings have better center depth for sure, but they have several pieces missing throughout their lineup due to Voynov's legal issues and an injury to Tanner Pearson that would most likely make him miss the playoffs (if he could play, he wouldn't be playing to the best of his abilities). My opinion is that our overall lineup trumps theirs.

3. I'd take Toews over Backes, and would consider it a wash between the other centers.

4. Don't forget that we have a 4th line center in Kruger. For the role he plays, he's probably the best 4c out of these teams. Mike Richards is a better offensive player, but he serves little purpose as a 4c.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
You know, there is much more to a team than having good C's.

But if the deal for Vermette was Hartman and a 2nd, it would without a doubt make this year's team better. And while I don't watch ahl games, from everything I've read, Hartman is unlikely to develop into a player who will be missed. I don't think Hartman and a 2nd would get it done, but I'd be all over it.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
People were ready to blow everything up when stan traded a 2nd for Rundblad.
A guy who was not a rental.

Why the **** give up a second in a deep draft for a rental when the team we have is totally capable

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
You know, there is much more to a team than having good C's.

Yeah, great D and great goaltending are important too.

Which the Hawks have, for the most part.

The C position is really the only position they're iffy in, and it's a pretty important position. I don't mind trading out a prospect that's projected to be 3rd line at best in order to get a legit 2C that can go head-to-head with the Carters, Keslers, Backes, and Thorntons and Couture's of the world.

People were ready to blow everything up when stan traded a 2nd for Rundblad.
A guy who was not a rental.

Why the **** give up a second in a deep draft for a rental when the team we have is totally capable

Rundblad has been a pleasant surprise of late, but his pedigree going into that trade was not on the same level as Vermette. You can't compare the two moves.

I'll never understand why people value prospects and picks over legit, proven NHLers, especially in an all-in year.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'll never understand why people value prospects and picks over legit, proven NHLers, especially in an all-in year.

Because good teams don't give away their future. Adding a player like Vermette would make us better this year, sure. But we'd be hurting ourselves long term by trading away prospects and picks.

If Hartman isn't living up to expectations? Use him in a package deal to get something better for the future. We don't have the cap to resign Vermette after this season, so all he'd ever be is a rental.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Also worth noting, that this draft is only good and deep in the sense that the 1st Round (the top half of the 1st Round in particular) is really, really talented. Once you get out of the 1st Round, especially as late as the end of the 2nd Round which is likely where the Hawks' picks end up most years, it's not really all that different from draft to draft, generally speaking. Not making a case for trading a pick or not, just speaking more to the quality and depth of the upcoming draft as compared to others. High, high-end 1st Round talent, no doubt.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Because good teams don't give away their future. Adding a player like Vermette would make us better this year, sure. But we'd be hurting ourselves long term by trading away prospects and picks.

If Hartman isn't living up to expectations? Use him in a package deal to get something better for the future. We don't have the cap to resign Vermette after this season, so all he'd ever be is a rental.

Ryan "the future" Hartman. Give me a ****ing break. He's expendable and valuable.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Ryan "the future" Hartman. Give me a ****ing break. He's expendable and valuable.

Yes he is expendable and valuable. I would just rather see us trade him for future players instead of going all in this year and have nothing to show for it after.

This team doesn't need to pick up rentals. It's a waste of resources, and it'll ultimately bite us in the ass.

I'd also like to add that it'd be stupid to trade Hartman when his stock is at it's lowest. McNeill played like crap last year, but was able to have a nice bounce back year. Maybe Hartman could do something similar.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Yes he is expendable and valuable. I would just rather see us trade him for future players instead of going all in this year and have nothing to show for it after.

This team doesn't need to pick up rentals. It's a waste of resources, and it'll ultimately bite us in the ass.

I'd also like to add that it'd be stupid to trade Hartman when his stock is at it's lowest. McNeill played like crap last year, but was able to have a nice bounce back year. Maybe Hartman could do something similar.

Hartman's value isn't low right now. The point is that you don't sell the future to load up the present. I agree with that. But that's not what a Vermette deal is. We are trading our 4th best wing prospect who is another year away from the NHL, who is a bottom 6 player + a 2nd rounder of which we have two.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hartman's value isn't low right now. The point is that you don't sell the future to load up the present. I agree with that. But that's not what a Vermette deal is. We are trading our 4th best wing prospect who is another year away from the NHL, who is a bottom 6 player + a 2nd rounder of which we have two.

But we could always trade him in a package with others to get someone who can actually contribute to this team in the future.

I'd rather see us give Teuvo the next few weeks to see if he can handle the NHL, than giving away a decent prospect for a player who'll be gone as soon as the season ends. If TT can't handle it, that's when we start focusing on other options.

Also like to add that we'd have to shed cap this season to make him work. So who do we trade and how do we fill the holes left by those players? This isn't as easy as some of you are making it out to be.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

Give away our future?

We have TONS of prospects in the minors, several well ahead of Hartman in both development and projected ceiling.

Going after one rental isn't going to sink the team. In fact, it could greatly help the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad