Post-Game Talk: Blackhawks 6, Bryan Rust 3, Penguins 0 - At Least It Wasn't 10-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I just heard that geno is -15 in last 20 games....I swear everytime he gets on ice I expect that we got scored on, and most of the time got nothing to do with him, its just that kind of year

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
That certainly is A fix. :laugh:
honestly once veterans figure out they just need to get into the playoffs and the rest of the regular season is meaningless, its not too abnormal to see them coast in the regular season. Not saying thats all of Geno's problems. But thats what I feel has been the biggest problem for this pens team the last 2 years. They dont get up for regular season games often enough. Unfortunately while they can "flip the switch" effort wise, they are building some bad habits now so I'm hoping they start their charge a lot earlier this year

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
There were multiple shifts tonight where Malkin looked like he couldn't care any less that a hockey game was going on. Or that he was in it.
What would make a guy so disinterested though? What could cause that sort of thing from a guy like Geno who has accomplished so much throughout his career?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If he didn’t care he wouldn’t take the penalties. He’s leading the Penguins in penalty minutes and is far outpacing his worst season ever.

He's not taking penalties because he cares. He's taking penalties because he's not skating and isn't engaged and as a result is caught flat footed a step behind everything.

****, I'm as big a Geno homer as there is, but this is team crisis level ****. The Geno we've had for the last 6 weeks . . . forget 3C or the D, with THAT Geno, this team is screwed.

Reactions: Ryder71

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Then you trade him or change the coach, because hoping things become better on their own isn't working.

As I keep saying. This isn't a week or two. And, it's not just a funk or something. This is 6 weeks of EVERYTHING . . . a funk, the play, the effort, the engagement . . . everything. I've never seen this, and I don't know how much longer this is tenable.

I remember him playing really bad after Russia lost the Olympics in Russia, it was kind of like this where it looked like he wasn't interested.

I don't know what's going on with him right now.

Its weird how Geno has played terrible for a long time and its not a bigger story.

I always watch Sully interviews he never gets a question about Geno.

What's wrong with Geno should be the number 1 story with the Pens and you don't hear anybody talking it.

Even on these boards people haven't been talking much about him.

Reactions: KIRK

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
There were multiple shifts tonight where Malkin looked like he couldn't care any less that a hockey game was going on. Or that he was in it.

Seemed less of a possible injury and more just plain disinterest

That’s literally what injury looks like all the time

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
honestly once veterans figure out they just need to get into the playoffs and the rest of the regular season is meaningless, its not too abnormal to see them coast in the regular season. Not saying thats all of Geno's problems. But thats what I feel has been the biggest problem for this pens team the last 2 years. They dont get up for regular season games often enough. Unfortunately while they can "flip the switch" effort wise, they are building some bad habits now so I'm hoping they start their charge a lot earlier this year

That definitely is the most optimistic read. I certainly prefer it to the alternatives. :thumbu:

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
I'ts really baffling that a player of Malkin's caliber and intelligence still fails to comprehend the basic idea of not giving his man time and space to make a play. His fly by defense is inexcusable. Sid thought Malkin had his man, but whooosh, Malkin skates right by him. Crosby quickly has to make the call whether to pressure the man with the puck or stay in front of the net since Geno abandoned his post, and it f***ed us over. Like, just stop or something, you don't even have to engage physically. Get your stick in there.

F'n pissed at that play.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Get rid of the coach, that'll start the ball in the right direction.

Boy I just do not think it's Sully. I thought the Sid line looked good tonight, including Brassard. I thought he was much more engaged. They just didn't score. I thought they played well, though. Geno's line is hindered by Geno. He's playing piss poor. If one of your main stars is playing that poorly, it's going to wreck a line no matter who his mates are. I thought putting the 3 struggle buds together was a terrific idea and it paid huge as Rust crushed it tonight. 4th line was adequate. Nothing horrible.

Sully isn't coaching this team out of any holes but I just can't put blame on him. It's the players. Maatta, Oleksiak, JJ, Pets all f***ing SUCKED tonight. Dumo was okay at best. Tangers turned the puck over a lot but I still thought he was good, albeit his turnovers were highlighted like hell by Edzo. The defense is not helping the offense at all and they are not helping themselves by piss poor play in the d-zone.

This is up to JR. Sheahan has to be gone. Maatta/Oleksiak have to be gone. We HAVE to use that money better. Geno has to step the f*** up. I feel Kessel is busting his ass all for the play to die constantly on Geno's stick.

I just can't put this stuff on Sully. I just can't. It's not his best work. The red flags have been beaten to death. But all the blame just cannot go on him. That's a lazy way out.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
We had a chance to get into a PO position tonight...most of the team tried hard...we’re just not good...if you’re not good, you’re not magically going to become good a couple months later with the same players playing the same way...this is not a matter of 98% of the players being lazy or disengaged...this is a team actually not having good enough players playing well enough together to be a contending team...changes need to be made, roster or coaches or whatever, or we will not have a chance at the SCF whether we sneak in the POs or not...I’d rather get Hughes than lose to CLB in the first round...
you saw how quickly they went from last in conference to almost in playoffs. another few game point streak and they are fine.

and yes we've literally seen the last 3 years a horrible penguins team get significantly better as the season wound down

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
What, not a Groundhog Day fan? It's not even a 80's movie.

EDIT: Think of how much fun this place is going to be Sunday night. :laugh:

Fri/Sat Pens and Sunday Steelers. Oh dear lord. :laugh: Could you imagine 0-3? I think id' have to log off and stay off for 7 days.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I remember him playing really bad after Russia lost the Olympics in Russia, it was kind of like this where it looked like he wasn't interested.

I don't know what's going on with him right now.

Its weird how Geno has played terrible for a long time and its not a bigger story.

I always watch Sully interviews he never gets a question about Geno.

What's wrong with Geno should be the number 1 story with the Pens and you don't hear anybody talking it.

Even on these boards people haven't been talking much about him much.

I remember that stretch. It was pretty bad. But, even then, you had some good spurts. And, even then, more often than not the issue was him trying to do too much.

BUT, 6 weeks of crap interrupted by what, MAYBE 3-4 good periods. I don't think that's hyperbole.

And, yes, it's interesting that NOBODY is saying much publicly. Not the media. Not Sully. Very interesting.

Reactions: cheesedanish87

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Fri/Sat Pens and Sunday Steelers. Oh dear lord. :laugh: Could you imagine 0-3? I think id' have to log off and stay off for 7 days.

We almost certainly will go 0-2 versus Boston area teams this weekend.

Only question is if we can salvage a sliver on pride on Saturday. After tonight, let's just say I'm less optimistic.

Actually, there's another question: Do we run out of Vince McMahon GIF's before the Steelers game?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Boy I just do not think it's Sully. I thought the Sid line looked good tonight, including Brassard. I thought he was much more engaged. They just didn't score. I thought they played well, though. Geno's line is hindered by Geno. He's playing piss poor. If one of your main stars is playing that poorly, it's going to wreck a line no matter who his mates are. I thought putting the 3 struggle buds together was a terrific idea and it paid huge as Rust crushed it tonight. 4th line was adequate. Nothing horrible.

Sully isn't coaching this team out of any holes but I just can't put blame on him. It's the players. Maatta, Oleksiak, JJ, Pets all ****ing SUCKED tonight. Dumo was okay at best. Tangers turned the puck over a lot but I still thought he was good, albeit his turnovers were highlighted like hell by Edzo. The defense is not helping the offense at all and they are not helping themselves by piss poor play in the d-zone.

This is up to JR. Sheahan has to be gone. Maatta/Oleksiak have to be gone. We HAVE to use that money better. Geno has to step the **** up. I feel Kessel is busting his ass all for the play to die constantly on Geno's stick.

I just can't put this stuff on Sully. I just can't. It's not his best work. The red flags have been beaten to death. But all the blame just cannot go on him. That's a lazy way out.
Sully isn't the only problem but he is a problem. And you can't trade half the roster to right the ship. I think Sully's message has gotten very stale and if a faction of this team has become ''disinterested'' that would at least start to change the direction a little. The rest would be up to the players. And as we know bringing in a new coach, with a fresh perspective can pay dividends.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
That definitely is the most optimistic read. I certainly prefer it to the alternatives. :thumbu:
still personnel issues with the lineup iced tonight. but add 2 top 6 wingers and a #3 D + 1 trade for a D man or middle 6 fwd and its hard to deny we should be a lot better.

Ultimately, stars will need to shine at the right time to beat wash/tor/TB. And if Murray doesn't get right... no chance

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That’s literally what injury looks like all the time

Except for it to be this bad for 6 weeks because of an injury? Let's just say I doubt it because I know for a fact the organization has been very proactive about sitting Geno when he's hurt since the 2015 season when the kept letting him come back to early from an ankle injury because the playoffs were in doubt.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
still personnel issues with the lineup iced tonight. but add 2 top 6 wingers and a #3 D + 1 trade for a D man or middle 6 fwd and its hard to deny we should be a lot better.

Ultimately, stars will need to shine at the right time to beat wash/tor/TB. And if Murray doesn't get right... no chance

You may be the last optimist left here. Even @ColePens has been broken. :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Sully isn't coaching this team out of any holes but I just can't put blame on him. It's the players. Maatta, Oleksiak, JJ, Pets all ****ing SUCKED tonight. Dumo was okay at best. Tangers turned the puck over a lot but I still thought he was good, albeit his turnovers were highlighted like hell by Edzo. The defense is not helping the offense at all and they are not helping themselves by piss poor play in the d-zone.

This is up to JR. Sheahan has to be gone. Maatta/Oleksiak have to be gone. We HAVE to use that money better. Geno has to step the **** up. I feel Kessel is busting his ass all for the play to die constantly on Geno's stick.

But how many times do we have to say "Johnson and Maatta sucked" with Riikola on the bench before it's in good part a Sullivan issue? JJ and Olli aren't putting themselves out there. He has options, he's just not using them.

Look at Rust away from Sid, Geno, and Brass tonight. Why was that not even considered for so long? How might things have changed if we'd tried it earlier?

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
you saw how quickly they went from last in conference to almost in playoffs. another few game point streak and they are fine.

and yes we've literally seen the last 3 years a horrible penguins team get significantly better as the season wound down

I dunno.. maybe...just seems this year feels different and the roster problems in particular more intractable...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
But how many times do we have to say "Johnson and Maatta sucked" with Riikola on the bench before it's in good part a Sullivan issue? JJ and Olli aren't putting themselves out there. He has options, he's just not using them.

Look at Rust away from Sid, Geno, and Brass tonight. Why was that not even considered for so long? How might things have changed if we'd tried it earlier?
Literally until the entire season is wasted again and people can come up with another narrative that isn't fatigue.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Except for it to be this bad for 6 weeks because of an injury? Let's just say I doubt it because I know for a fact the organization has been very proactive about sitting Geno when he's hurt since the 2015 season when the kept letting him come back to early from an ankle injury because the playoffs were in doubt.

Maybe they didn’t think it was bad enough to sit him (like Murray’s issue) but then it’s now become a mental hurdle as well? I dunno, just spitballing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad