Blackburns Career OVER??

Status
Not open for further replies.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
Leaf the Lucky said:
Wow...I have a shoulder injury myself but to be unable to lift your arm ever. That truly has to hurt. Forget the career, this is a big obstacle for the rest of his life.
He's been practicing the whole season, he can lift his arm fine he just get snap it quickly enough to stop a 90+ MPH shot.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Reveille! said:
Why would you go to Montreal for a run of the mill hockey game...?
The Rangers were in the playoff chase at that time. And why wouldn't you go to every hockey game that you can? :dunno:

A Good Flying Bird*

Brooklyn Ranger said:
And fortunately, in this case, Blackburn was paid a very good salary for his potential--the rookie maximum (plus bonuses) for his first three seasons and $825,000 this year. He wasn't laid off with 2 weeks pay when he was injured, he didn't lose his health insurance and he has a very nice nest egg that should give him the opportunity to do almost anything he wants for the rest of his life--he just won't be able to live his dream of playing hockey in the NHL. For that he is very unlucky and deserves sympathy. But, I'm sure, he would gladly take the risk again, as would Yzerman and all the kids who never got a chance to play one game in the NHL because of injury --it goes with the job. Life is full of risks and most of us are not compensated nearly as well for taking them. Blackburn's lucky because he got a chance to live his dream. Most of us never get that chance, in spite of the risks we are willing to take.

I am not saying it is not worth it.
I am saying it is a risk. A serious risk.
Just as risky, IMO, as an owner buying an NHL franchise and risking his finances.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Broadway Crosby said:
The Rangers were in the playoff chase at that time. And why wouldn't you go to every hockey game that you can? :dunno:

It's just a bit weird that a kid would go all the way up to Montreal for a run of the mill hockey game..

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Reveille! said:
Where has he been on ice practicing the entire season??

He's been at the Rangers practice rink almost every day since the end of last season. Because he's on IR he's allowed to have contact with the Ranger organization for rehab purposes.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Newsguyone said:
I am not saying it is not worth it.
I am saying it is a risk. A serious risk.
Just as risky, IMO, as an owner buying an NHL franchise and risking his finances.

We take risks every time we cross a street that has traffic on it. Players and owners are not in the game for the same reasons. Hockey players have been playing in the NHL for most of its existance for very little money. They did it for love of the game and the chance to be the best. Even today, players do keep coming back and playing long after they've made enough money to be rich for the rest of their lives. They come back after serious injury (Lindros, Yzerman, Kariya, LaFountaine to name a few). Heck, Steve Moore wants to play again.

Owners are investing their money to make a profit. When you make an investment, there is no guarantee that you will be rewarded with profit and very few people enjoy investing for the thrill of it if they are constantly losing their investiment.

One plays for the love of the game, the other invests to make money. Hockey players don't find happiness playing another sport; investors, in the end, go where they think they will get the highest return.

The one thing they do share is that they know the risks when they start. Or they should. Let the buyer beware.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Brooklyn Ranger said:
If given the opportunity wouldn't you have gone? It's not like he had to walk there. And Montreal is a fun place to visit.

Oh, damn right I would've! Haha, I would've killed to just be in Montreal! :)

Not saying he's lying, just thought it was weird and he has awesome parents or friends or wahtever that can get him there. :yo:

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Reveille! said:
It's just a bit weird that a kid would go all the way up to Montreal for a run of the mill hockey game..
It was only a 10 hour drive, and we stayed there two days. We toured the arena, went to the Rangers practice, and toured Montreal.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
theBob said:
According to MSG TV, after getting his shoulder operated on, he lost one of his nerves. The nerve affected disables him from being able to use his catching glove. They are trying to get him to use 2 blockers instead, but how good can a goalie be without a glove?

Very sad if this is the end of the line for him. I hope he can overcome this

exhibit a - why not wanting to get drafted by the Rangers ... they end your career before it gets started ... nicely done clowns :banghead:

Firefly

Mar 9, 2004
Mohawk Valley
Joe_Strummer said:
exhibit a - why not wanting to get drafted by the Rangers ... they end your career before it gets started ... nicely done clowns :banghead:

What the hell are you smoking. He was hurt while working out in the offseason. It could have happened to anyone. They Rangers, no matter how much you may hate them, did not ruin Blackburn's career.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
He should do what Billy Wagner did in baseball, use his other hand, it only requires training even though its awkward at first. Wagner used to be right handed but broke his arm to often, look at him now at 100mph with his off hand.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
A question for Ranger fans. If you're Glen Sather (sorry) and the B.P.A. in the next draft happens to be a goalie in the first round (i.e. Rask) do you choose him?

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Habsaku said:
He should do what Billy Wagner did in baseball, use his other hand, it only requires training even though its awkward at first. Wagner used to be right handed but broke his arm to often, look at him now at 100mph with his off hand.

Unfortunately, you seem to be missing the point. Switching Blackburn's glove hand doesn't solve the problem he has. The nerve is not controlling the muscle in his shoulder properly. This prevents him from lifting his left arm quickly enough. Goaltenders have to raise their stick hand lighting quick too.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
bopeep said:
A question for Ranger fans. If you're Glen Sather (sorry) and the B.P.A. in the next draft happens to be a goalie in the first round (i.e. Rask) do you choose him?

I don't know anything about Rask: is he a top 10 pick? Because after all to put it bluntly, the Rangers will suck whenever next season is actually played. They picked 6th in the last draft so if there is a draft before "next season" is played, they probably will still be in a good position. That said, I suspect that there will be a least one skater (forward or defenseman, it really doesn't matter) who will be a better pick. If not, I would hope that the Rangers would use some of the depth they have accumulated to move up and pick a skater. If not, well, chances are Lundqvist and Montoya will get a chance before the newest kid on the block is ready to play in the NHL. I've pretty much given up trying to figure out the way Sather thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad