Blackburns Career OVER??

Status
Not open for further replies.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Its amazing that with all the advanced sports medicine and surgery that they cant fix this. I really feel bad for the guy and for Rangers fans, I can imagine how it must feel seeing how the Blackhawks almost picked this guy over Ruutu supposedly.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Levitate said:
i dont' think it's that blackburn can't lift his arm or something, i think he just doesn't have the quickness and control he had before the injury

Which is sad. After his last surgery, I thought even if his shoulder healed to 90% of its capacity that he'd still own a glove hand quicker than half to the leagues starting goaltenders. Unfortunately, its looking to be much much worse than that. I still like to think this guy can make it, he just has winner written all over him

Firefly

Mar 9, 2004
Mohawk Valley
Patty Ice XXX said:
Which is sad. After his last surgery, I thought even if his shoulder healed to 90% of its capacity that he'd still own a glove hand quicker than half to the leagues starting goaltenders. Unfortunately, its looking to be much much worse than that. I still like to think this guy can make it, he just has winner written all over him

Yeah not that long ago it was looking pretty good for him...when they found the root of the problem and did some surgery, it was looking like most of the damage was fixed. Then we get hit with this news which is very disheartening. A great young talent and great person from what I've seen/read, it's a damn shame. I'm still holding onto a shred of hope, stranger things have happened, he could make it back...but the odds sure are stacked against Dan on this one. :(

I can only hope that if his NHL career is over, he will recieve some compensation, or maybe find a new career in the hockey field.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Masao said:
?

I didn't notice that. Maybe I didn't follow the Rangers much... but I could swear I attended a game last year in which he completely killed the Habs. The shots were like 40 to 15 or something and he was a wall.
That was two years ago. Me and my dad drove up and saw that game. :yo: It was a great game.

This is really sad because Blackburn's skills were almost unmatched. He would've been a stud in the NHL. I met him at the Rangers Draft Party in 2003, and he was very shy, but a great guy. He was very cool and he never seemed to feel that he was better than you because he was in the NHL. I hope that he can at least play hockey with his kids when he's older.

To sum it up, he would've been a great goalie, but would've always been a better person. :(

Leaf the Lucky

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
The article did say the nerve was fine which is a good sign. It's the muscle that's damaged and rehab would take 4-6 weeks. This also makes sense. Hopefully the muscle rehab will work out and he'll be back on track.

However, at the same time it could be a problem at the neuromuscular junction where I'm not sure if rehab will really be useful.

A Good Flying Bird*

littleHossa said:
"We're sorry for mishandling your development and now making you unable to use your arm, well I guess your contract is running out right about now.." Hope it's not true, a link would be nice.

This is what I am talking about on the "business of hockey board" when I scoff at people who say "the owners take all the risks."

Tell that to Bryan Berard. Or the younger Lindros. Or the thousands of hockey players who have their career cut short by injury. Injuries that might hamper them for the rest of their lives.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
It's not a "risk", when you get paid millions of dollars in case something bad happens to you.

Blackburn gets his few million salary from his contract and bonuses, approx. another million in disability from the league and union, plus any private disability insurance he has.

At 21 years of age, having already made $4 or $5 million dollars, he can already retire comfortably if he wishes. And of course, he can always find any job he wishes where raising his arm at lightning speed isn't a requirement, should he get bored.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
TSN got the story wrong

Leaf the Lucky said:
The article did say the nerve was fine which is a good sign. It's the muscle that's damaged and rehab would take 4-6 weeks. This also makes sense. Hopefully the muscle rehab will work out and he'll be back on track.

However, at the same time it could be a problem at the neuromuscular junction where I'm not sure if rehab will really be useful.

The muscle isn't damaged, it's that the nerve is not telling the muscle what to do:

"The 21-year-old goaltender drafted to be the heir to Mike Richter's net learned at his last neurological exam that the damaged nerve in his injured left shoulder has not recovered sufficiently. And as it has now been 16 months since he suffered the original injury and nine months since the speculative surgery that only partially solved his problem, doctors fear that Blackburn never will regain full use of his left arm for goaltending purposes.

Specifically, the damaged nerve in Blackburn's shoulder governs the movement of two important muscles in his left arm. The nerve has healed completely in its ability to fire one of the muscles but not the other - the muscle that allows him to snatch up his left hand quickly enough to catch pucks shot by NHL players."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/story/268991p-230350c.html

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Career-enders always make me sad, even if I don't like the player. I gave up on hockey when I got injured as a kid for almost 1,5 years (I had bad back problems. I still do, but I could probably play now...) and was so behind everyone else when I recovered that I kinda lost interest.

My brother's still playing and I hope this never happens to him. He seems to have quite a bright future ahead of him.

Anyways, sorry I got sidetracked. All I meant to say was that I feel sorry for the kid.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
PecaFan said:
It's not a "risk", when you get paid millions of dollars in case something bad happens to you.

Blackburn gets his few million salary from his contract and bonuses, approx. another million in disability from the league and union, plus any private disability insurance he has.

At 21 years of age, having already made $4 or $5 million dollars, he can already retire comfortably if he wishes. And of course, he can always find any job he wishes where raising his arm at lightning speed isn't a requirement, should he get bored.

Sure, but it's not always about the money.

High flyin' Habs*

Masao said:
?

I didn't notice that. Maybe I didn't follow the Rangers much... but I could swear I attended a game last year in which he completely killed the Habs. The shots were like 40 to 15 or something and he was a wall.
I also attended that game! Your right he was unbeatable! That was 2 years ago.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
smoothskater said:
I also attended that game! Your right he was unbeatable! That was 2 years ago.
LOL. I was there too! The final score was 3-1, right? Blackie played like a star...

A Good Flying Bird*

PecaFan said:

No? That's not a risk?
Someone like Steve Moore? That's not a risk? Bryan Berard is not a risk?
Yzerman nearly lost his eye last year. His knees are pretty much toast. He has a tough time getting around now. Who knows what it will be like in 10 years?
And how about all the kids who get hurt trying to make it this far?

Yeah, money is nice.
But players do take risks.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Newsguyone said:
No? That's not a risk?
Yzerman nearly lost his eye last year. His knees are pretty much toast. He has a tough time getting around now. Who knows what it will be like in 10 years?

Yeah, money is nice.

And fortunately, in this case, Blackburn was paid a very good salary for his potential--the rookie maximum (plus bonuses) for his first three seasons and $825,000 this year. He wasn't laid off with 2 weeks pay when he was injured, he didn't lose his health insurance and he has a very nice nest egg that should give him the opportunity to do almost anything he wants for the rest of his life--he just won't be able to live his dream of playing hockey in the NHL. For that he is very unlucky and deserves sympathy. But, I'm sure, he would gladly take the risk again, as would Yzerman and all the kids who never got a chance to play one game in the NHL because of injury --it goes with the job. Life is full of risks and most of us are not compensated nearly as well for taking them. Blackburn's lucky because he got a chance to live his dream. Most of us never get that chance, in spite of the risks we are willing to take.

Leaf the Lucky

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Brooklyn Ranger said:
The muscle isn't damaged, it's that the nerve is not telling the muscle what to do:

"The 21-year-old goaltender drafted to be the heir to Mike Richter's net learned at his last neurological exam that the damaged nerve in his injured left shoulder has not recovered sufficiently. And as it has now been 16 months since he suffered the original injury and nine months since the speculative surgery that only partially solved his problem, doctors fear that Blackburn never will regain full use of his left arm for goaltending purposes.

Specifically, the damaged nerve in Blackburn's shoulder governs the movement of two important muscles in his left arm. The nerve has healed completely in its ability to fire one of the muscles but not the other - the muscle that allows him to snatch up his left hand quickly enough to catch pucks shot by NHL players."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/story/268991p-230350c.html

But didn't the TSN article say that the nerve has finally healed and it's the muscle involved in raising his glove hand that is the problem?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Newsguyone said:
No? That's not a risk?

Yeah, money is nice.

We were talking about *financial* risks. IE, your post taking issue with "the owners take all the risks".

*All* jobs have physical risks. Hockey players may have a bit more than some, but it's far, far less than many other jobs - my step father has half his toes missing from his job, death and dismemberment are practically routine in the forest industry.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
tommi462 said:
Sure, but it's not always about the money.
The thing I always hear coming out of the mouths of the players is "it's a business."

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
MojoJojo said:
I think his developement was rushed. He should not have been introduced to the NHL at such a young age when he clearly wasnt ready. A great talent, but not was not a great NHL goalie during his short career. I know the injury isnt really related, but thats still my opinion.

I seriously disagree about being rushed. He had already absolutely dominated the CHL and had nothing left to proove other than being bored in games. He wasn't rushed, but he wasn't let to play enough games, IMO. And they rode him for that huge stretch which hurt him, too. He was NHL ready at the draft. Everyone knew that. And he probably would've been in the NHL on most teams.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Reveille! said:
I seriously disagree about being rushed. He had already absolutely dominated the CHL and had nothing left to proove other than being bored in games. He wasn't rushed, but he wasn't let to play enough games, IMO. And they rode him for that huge stretch which hurt him, too. He was NHL ready at the draft. Everyone knew that. And he probably would've been in the NHL on most teams.

Whether he was ready or not being in the NHL at 18 it didn't really cause the injury. It could of happened to a 36 yr old vet. Great talent that is being wasted.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
J17ster said:
Whether he was ready or not being in the NHL at 18 it didn't really cause the injury. It could of happened to a 36 yr old vet. Great talent that is being wasted.

Exactly. It's a shame. A damn shame. Great kid, too. I've talked to him a number of times after games and whatnot.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Leaf the Lucky said:
But didn't the TSN article say that the nerve has finally healed and it's the muscle involved in raising his glove hand that is the problem?

Unfortunately, just because the nerve has healed, doesn't mean it "remembers" what to do. The muscle in question is controlled by that nerve and is not receiving the proper instructions. Blackburn had the surgery (that discovered why the nerve was not regenerating properly and fixed that) over 6 months ago. He's been working out since late August with the Rangers' trainers and medical staff. Blackburn says (and I have no doubt) that he is in the best shape of his life. Unfortunately, the only thing he can do is to keep working and hope that the nerve finally responses and starts to control the muscle involved again.

BlackChristmas

Dec 30, 2004
Ste-Martine
PecaFan said:
We were talking about *financial* risks. IE, your post taking issue with "the owners take all the risks".

*All* jobs have physical risks. Hockey players may have a bit more than some, but it's far, far less than many other jobs - my step father has half his toes missing from his job, death and dismemberment are practically routine in the forest industry.

Exactly :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad