TV: Black Mirror (Channel4(UK)/Netflix)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'll admit I watched White Christmas on a stream and it was labeled 3-01 White Christmas...I don't know if legit. But it seems like there's a two year break in between seasons.

RJ8812*

I'll admit I watched White Christmas on a stream and it was labeled 3-01 White Christmas...I don't know if legit. But it seems like there's a two year break in between seasons.

Ya, I noticed that the Christmas special was listed as part of the 3rd season

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Big Brother dropped off the end of "culturally relevant" about oh, six years ago. I think it's still yearly.

Peaky Blinders, no idea. But the word "season" doesn't really apply to shows and there's no published schedule to their creation or broadcast, at least not one that's as strictly adhered to as it is in America.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Well I'm fairly certain the third "chapter" of Peaky Blinders is being prepped for a release at the end of the year. Probably cause of the Netflix exclusivity deal.

What about Dr. Who? Is it really random?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Well "series" is the word used (apart from people taking on the Americanism "season" who generally sound tragic in the process, and more on Doctor Who there). My point is that "seasons" as a whole seem to be a big thing in American TV, or at least more influential in when they're shown. You'll get articles and adverts or whatever saying "new series of ____ is being filmed/will be shown on ____" but there's no real mention of a set schedule for that sort of thing, not as much as I understand it is in America. Look at the Black Mirror schedule for one thing, three episodes in December '11, then three over a year later in February '13 before a one-off Christmas special in December '14. That labelling of the Christmas special doesn't really mean much by the way, I wouldn't read into that much.

Doctor Who, presumably to pander to teenage American girls who watch it through gifs on tumblr, over the past few series began to put in "mid-series breaks" where they show 7 episodes then wait several months before showing the rest for absolutely no reason whatsoever. That's quite annoying, or it was when I still watched.

Anyway, I may well be misunderstanding or making up completely how American TV shows are filmed/distributed/scheduled but it seems a lot more strictly regimented than UK TV, which is what I'm trying to say in a very roundabout/poorly worded way.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Well "series" is the word used (apart from people taking on the Americanism "season" who generally sound tragic in the process, and more on Doctor Who there). My point is that "seasons" as a whole seem to be a big thing in American TV, or at least more influential in when they're shown. You'll get articles and adverts or whatever saying "new series of ____ is being filmed/will be shown on ____" but there's no real mention of a set schedule for that sort of thing, not as much as I understand it is in America. Look at the Black Mirror schedule for one thing, three episodes in December '11, then three over a year later in February '13 before a one-off Christmas special in December '14. That labelling of the Christmas special doesn't really mean much by the way, I wouldn't read into that much.

Doctor Who, presumably to pander to teenage American girls who watch it through gifs on tumblr, over the past few series began to put in "mid-series breaks" where they show 7 episodes then wait several months before showing the rest for absolutely no reason whatsoever. That's quite annoying, or it was when I still watched.

Anyway, I may well be misunderstanding or making up completely how American TV shows are filmed/distributed/scheduled but it seems a lot more strictly regimented than UK TV, which is what I'm trying to say in a very roundabout/poorly worded way.

Yeah, American shows are almost always aired the same time as it was the previous season. On local TV, seasons generally start in September and end in May.

Shows on cable are usually strict with when it's on, but there are exceptions, especially on FX. Season 1 of Fargo started in April last year and the Season 2 should be this fall.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Don't know how that series just passed by without me noticing, but it did. So I watched it this week after some guys recommended it. I love(d) that stuff. Technically great, convincing cast and authentic scenarios of a disturbing dystopia.

That being said, I don't get the hate for The National Anthem. It's one of my favourites as it describes pretty good how influential and pressing social media may be at one point. Just as Callow said in the beginning: "**** the internet." Really depressing to see how society pressures him to do sick stuff like that. Even declaring it to be a great piece of "modern art" afterwards. Pretty immoral sensationalism by the guys in pubs and several further public places, who can't dodge the temptation to see him doing it. The kidnapped girl just being the "princess" was a little bit over the top, true. But I guess choosing another one instead would make the point even more ("isn't an average girl worth it to sacrifice yourself?")

Liked the ending as it shows that his action may have saved the girl's life and his political carreer. But meanwhile every appearence in public is nothing but show, as his marriage is ruined 'cause his wife won't forgive him to **** that pig. Is that happiness? I don't think so. He won't feel happy ever again. Just like an elephant, the internet never forgets.

Apart from that I liked every episode for it's very own reasons. Clearly there are better and "worse" ones. But I'm glad to see as many approaches to dystopian scenarios as there are.

Another favourite of mine was Fifteen Million Merits. Great work. A modern adaption of dystopias suggested by Orwell (1984) and Huxley (Brave New World). Pretty disturbing to imagine a "life" like that. Avoiding individualism at all cost. The need to fit into society's creepy ideals and living the life suggested. Kaluuya (Bing) really knocked it out of the park with that one, as it is one of my favorite performances (considering the overall acting job in that series, that's gotta mean something).

White Bear is up at the top for me as well. Most of the episode, it leaves you as clueless as the main character after she wakes up. As soon as I thought it may be a little bit over the top at one point, they started to pull the last 15 minutes off with a gut-wrenching twist. So sick. You were really torn between sympathy for her (literally exhibiting her and letting her suffer to the benefit of the show, pretty much torturing her without even giving her a chance to realize why she's there) or antipathy (committing that crime/just standing there, recording, and doing nothing else to help). Disturbing to see all that being resolved as the entertainment programme of a adventure park. All the "guests" probably seeing it as "the time of their life" and doing as much as possible to get a great show. Just observing without interacting with her in any kind. Again, the actor's performance speaks for itself. Crichlow did a great job in portraying that girl (Victoria).

In spite of these being my favourites, I liked the other episodes as well. The unsatisfied need for filling the void of losing the partner at your side, leading to desperate moves, which make it even worse (be right back), modern, stuffy technology complicating our life rather than easing it by making yourself too dependable from it (The Entire History of You - great ending) and consequences of a cartoon figure being the voice of the (young) society, sending out waves that have alarming global effect (The Walden Moment).

Still the special to go. Curious about it, as it is much discussed and some around here mention it to be one of the best.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Don't know how that series just passed by without me noticing, but it did. So I watched it this week after some guys recommended it. I love(d) that stuff. Technically great, convincing cast and authentic scenarios of a disturbing dystopia.

That being said, I don't get the hate for The National Anthem. It's one of my favourites as it describes pretty good how influential and pressing social media may be at one point. Just as Callow said in the beginning: "**** the internet." Really depressing to see how society pressures him to do sick stuff like that. Even declaring it to be a great piece of "modern art" afterwards. Pretty immoral sensationalism by the guys in pubs and several further public places, who can't dodge the temptation to see him doing it. The kidnapped girl just being the "princess" was a little bit over the top, true. But I guess choosing another one instead would make the point even more ("isn't an average girl worth it to sacrifice yourself?")

Liked the ending as it shows that his action may have saved the girl's life and his political carreer. But meanwhile every appearence in public is nothing but show, as his marriage is ruined 'cause his wife won't forgive him to **** that pig. Is that happiness? I don't think so. He won't feel happy ever again. Just like an elephant, the internet never forgets.

Apart from that I liked every episode for it's very own reasons. Clearly there are better and "worse" ones. But I'm glad to see as many approaches to dystopian scenarios as there are.

Another favourite of mine was Fifteen Million Merits. Great work. A modern adaption of dystopias suggested by Orwell (1984) and Huxley (Brave New World). Pretty disturbing to imagine a "life" like that. Avoiding individualism at all cost. The need to fit into society's creepy ideals and living the life suggested. Kaluuya (Bing) really knocked it out of the park with that one, as it is one of my favorite performances (considering the overall acting job in that series, that's gotta mean something).

White Bear is up at the top for me as well. Most of the episode, it leaves you as clueless as the main character after she wakes up. As soon as I thought it may be a little bit over the top at one point, they started to pull the last 15 minutes off with a gut-wrenching twist. So sick. You were really torn between sympathy for her (literally exhibiting her and letting her suffer to the benefit of the show, pretty much torturing her without even giving her a chance to realize why she's there) or antipathy (committing that crime/just standing there, recording, and doing nothing else to help). Disturbing to see all that being resolved as the entertainment programme of a adventure park. All the "guests" probably seeing it as "the time of their life" and doing as much as possible to get a great show. Just observing without interacting with her in any kind. Again, the actor's performance speaks for itself. Crichlow did a great job in portraying that girl (Victoria).

In spite of these being my favourites, I liked the other episodes as well. The unsatisfied need for filling the void of losing the partner at your side, leading to desperate moves, which make it even worse (be right back), modern, stuffy technology complicating our life rather than easing it by making yourself too dependable from it (The Entire History of You - great ending) and consequences of a cartoon figure being the voice of the (young) society, sending out waves that have alarming global effect (The Walden Moment).

Still the special to go. Curious about it, as it is much discussed and some around here mention it to be one of the best.
Trust me I was skeptical about it. Don't be. It is the best.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Good rundown. I agree with most of your points.

The creepiest part about this show is that it takes place in a near future that really isn't hard to imagine happening - and soon. National Anthem I think does that the best, because it's basically "current" time. Look at what they did with the technology we have already.

I don't think the world is ready for a 'prison' like White Bear, nor do I think The Waldo Movement was all that realistic either (though, if someone like Jon Stewart or Colbert ran for President, I think they'd actually get A TON of votes, and while despite not being a cartoon, they are characters)... But 'Be Right Back', 'The Entire History of You' and even 'White Christmas' ... that's all technology I could see happening in my lifetime. And that's what makes it so eerie.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Christmas special.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I actually don't think what happened in Waldo is all that far fetched. So many people are politically ignorant that the ignorant masses will rally around the trendy political platforms. It's especially easy to get behind an anti-government stance.

Who's to say that 5-10 years in the future, our prioritization of entertainment and gratification through technology won't increase widespread ignorance to the point where something like this could happen? And technically Waldo didn't even win in the beginning.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Good rundown. I agree with most of your points.

The creepiest part about this show is that it takes place in a near future that really isn't hard to imagine happening - and soon. National Anthem I think does that the best, because it's basically "current" time. Look at what they did with the technology we have already.

I don't think the world is ready for a 'prison' like White Bear, nor do I think The Waldo Movement was all that realistic either (though, if someone like Jon Stewart or Colbert ran for President, I think they'd actually get A TON of votes, and while despite not being a cartoon, they are characters)... But 'Be Right Back', 'The Entire History of You' and even 'White Christmas' ... that's all technology I could see happening in my lifetime. And that's what makes it so eerie.

This link was posted a couple pages back. Be Right Back in it's early forms is already here.
http://liveson.org/connect.php

Could say that The Entire History of You is also with something like google glasses, although it isn't popularly used like the technology is in that episode.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
[...] Still the special to go. Curious about it, as it is much discussed and some around here mention it to be one of the best.

Trust me I was skeptical about it. Don't be. It is the best.

Just watched it. Wow. Just wow. I agree, it's indeed the best out there. And that's gotta mean something. I could write four Din A4 pages about it. But I've to sort my thoughts first. Oh my.
That was one of the best wrap ups of the entire series so far that I could have hoped for.

Just some basic thoughts/main observations:

opening/introduction:

- What is it all about?
- Who's person A, who's person B, why are they there?

main part:

- person A is a player, in control, extroverted, manipulative
- person B is a guy being played with, not in control, introverted (or should I say "became introverted"?), criticial

conclusion/final:

- person A in control, playing the other one on a staged "show", manipulative, outgoing behaviour led to person B opening up with the purpose of getting a confession
- Still, person A lost as well as his past caught up with him -> got played by the police -> despite helping them, he lost his identity and his place in society ->
thereby his "strong" attributes are gone (player, in control, extroverted, manipulative, ...)

Guess I'll sit down sooner or later and extend my thoughts in detail, if some of you appreciate it.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Just got into this. Show is incredible. Watched "Be Right Back" today.

As other have mentioned...the most terrifying aspect of this is how plausible it is. It's not that much of a stretch to see some of this technology coming about in my lifetime.

My favorite so far has been "The Entire History of You". That one will rip you right apart.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Just finished watching all the episodes today. All completely chilling stuff, since I can see most of this happening within our lifetimes. The Christmas Special is probably what will happen if Facebook goes wrong...

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Not going to lie. I saw this thread again on the 1st page and got my hopes up that there was an announcement for season 3. Leaving disappointed :(

But I'm glad you enjoyed the show, so awesome.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Finally watched White Christmas.

This is a frustrating show. At one end I think it's ground-breaking television with its attempt to examine society. Just brilliant ideas every episode. But there's always something that drops it down to above-average which is infuriating. The potential is there but every ep could be better. I don't think it'll ever be one of my favourite show or reach its potential given how consistently they've "dropped the ball" (bit harsh).

I think the main problem stems from having just 1 writer (aside from ep 2).

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Finally watched White Christmas.

This is a frustrating show. At one end I think it's ground-breaking television with its attempt to examine society. Just brilliant ideas every episode. But there's always something that drops it down to above-average which is infuriating. The potential is there but every ep could be better. I don't think it'll ever be one of my favourite show or reach its potential given how consistently they've "dropped the ball" (bit harsh).

I think the main problem stems from having just 1 writer (aside from ep 2).

What were your issues with the various episodes?

+1 on invictus' post. Would love to hear your thoughts because I have such a different opinion.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Good game no re. I just spent 15 minutes writing a response.

Click post quick reply.

"You have been logged out due to inactivity"

**** I don't want to relive those days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad