Music: Black Metal

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Dies Irae: Ad Infinitum [I have never found it on Youtube.com or Encyclopaedia Metallum, but the demo is awesome black death from circa 1997, Chicago area perhaps. It sounds a bit like Emperor and Cryptopsy / Origin / Exhumed / Carcass combined.]

Not related to the foregoing:

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Dies Irae: Ad Infinitum [I have never found it on Youtube.com or Encyclopaedia Metallum, but the demo is awesome black death from circa 1997, Chicago area perhaps. It sounds a bit like Emperor and Cryptopsy / Origin / Exhumed / Carcass combined.]

Not related to the foregoing:

Encylopaedia Metallum has the band name as Ad Infinitum and the demo called Dies Irae rather than the other way around.

EM Page

Reactions: Hippasus

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Enslaved's earliest 3-4 albums were terrific....later releases are more hit /miss to me, but to be honest I enjoy some of them too. Don't care for the clean vocals on the new stuff, though.
Frost is the other one besides Vikingligr Veldi that I really like. Their drummer, Trym, really fit in with their hypnoitizing sound.

Reactions: sigma six

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Damaar - Triumph Through Spears of Sacrilege

Savage demo.

Interesting tidbit - these guys converted to hardline Islamic fundamentalism shortly after this was released, which is why it's never been re-issued. They now find it offensive and have requested that YK of NWN! never do any further presses or merch.

There's some similar stuff coming out of the Kolkata war-noise scene these days...

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Savage demo.

Interesting tidbit - these guys converted to hardline Islamic fundamentalism shortly after this was released, which is why it's never been re-issued. They now find it offensive and have requested that YK of NWN! never do any further presses or merch.

There's some similar stuff coming out of the Kolkata war-noise scene these days...

To be able to perform like that seems to me like it would take a lot of practice. The fact that they did that in Lebanon around the time of wars in the area is incredible and shows true black metal spirit. It's too bad they cannot accept that their work was evil.

I also like the two war metal bands you posted. They seem Muslim rather than Hindu, but it's hard for me to know. West Bengal is predominantly Hindu rather than Muslim.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
To be able to perform like that seems to me like it would take a lot of practice. The fact that they did that in Lebanon around the time of wars in the area is incredible and shows true black metal spirit. It's too bad they cannot accept that their work was evil.

I also like the two war metal bands you posted. They seem Muslim rather than Hindu, but it's hard for me to know. West Bengal is predominantly Hindu rather than Muslim.
It was a serious commitment to be a functional black metal band in Lebanon at the time they were active, no doubt. Public displays of irreligion/blasphemy come with harsh blowback in that part of the world. Add in the looming threat of war as you mentioned and it really adds a legitimacy to their music that most bands could never fathom. In a way it sort of hearkens back to what was going on in the favelas of Brazil and Columbian slums in the 80's.

The novelty alone was enough to generate a ton of hype for Damaar; Triumph Through Spears Of Sacrilege was probably the most hyped demo since Teitanblood's Genocide Chants To Apolokian Dawn. But it was more than that because they were clearly serious about their craft. Spirit indeed!

Most of the Kolkata bands [Brahmastrika, Necrodeity, Naramedha, Aparthiva Raktadhara, Kapala, etc.] seem to be dealing primarily in some form of Tantra or Hindu esotericism. Could be come crossover with Islamic themes as well, I'm not well versed enough to say either way.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Candlemass ,merciful fate,venom are my faves
Candlemass isn't black metal.

Mercyful Fate and Venom are both "first wave black metal," in that they contributed to the aesthetic and development of the genre, but aren't particularly close musically to what it ultimately became (although there has certainly been a 1st wave revival, of sorts, in recent years).

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
The riffs on this one remind me of early Gorgoroth. I like the percussion too. I heard someone say the Anglicized expression of their Russian demo might be Leshiy: Paganie sni.
Yeah, I hear that. Some Sargeist and Seigneur Voland in there too, particularly in the way they turn riffs around. He has a good ear for riffs and arrangement overall. Certainly one of the better recent demos that I've come across.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview

I really like the following tracks on this tribute album:

Marching Homewards
Angbands Schmieden
Where Hope and Daylight Die
The Rotting Horse On the Deadly Ground
A Distant Flame Before the Sun
A New Power Is Rising
Farewell
Arkenstone and Morthond
Menogroth
Land Of the Dead

There are quite a number of tribute albums to Summoning. One, by Muldeponie (Memories Of the Middle Earth - A Tribute to Summoning), is also very good but much more classically-styled than black metal. It is an instrumental album.

Last edited:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
This is a pretty good documentary on the Second Wave. I didn't realize how important Snorre (Stigma Diabolicum, Thorns) was for black metal riffing, along with Euronymous (Mayhem) of course. It was also cool to see Dead's (Mayhem) brother offer a different perspective on Dead.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad