Music: Black Metal

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
To my big suprise i found no Black Metal thread.

It was not until recent i started to like it. I always thought before its too "dark" and "satanic".

What do you guys think about Black Metal?

Post songs and discuss.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Never been a fan, but the disconcerting proximity to white nationalism and outright Nazism is additionally concerting. I'm more of a Thrash/Heavy/Power/Death Metal guy, but I have a lot of friends that are really into Black Metal so I've been staying relatively informed.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Never been a fan, but the disconcerting proximity to white nationalism and outright Nazism is additionally concerting.
Really? Did not know that. I only know of Varg Vikernes. Even if he is a racist scumbag its possible to like his music but not his personality and political views.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Never been a fan, but the disconcerting proximity to white nationalism and outright Nazism is additionally concerting. I'm more of a Thrash/Heavy/Power/Death Metal guy, but I have a lot of friends that are really into Black Metal so I've been staying relatively informed.
Black metal is great, but the scene and the musicians are far too often either awful or too accepting of them. Fortunately there is a growing black metal movement that is fighting against the racists and Nazis that will hopefully at least get them confined to their own cesspools if not outright deplatformed (I will brook no argument on this).

These days I'm listening more to the avant-gardey or atmospheric stuff (Thy Catafalque, A Forest of Stars, Wolves in the Throne Room, Panopticon, Wayfarer and Progenie Terrestre Pura have been getting a lot of spins lately). But there's still plenty of room for a more straight-forward, traditional sound in my library.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Personal views of members aside...

I'm in the middle. As with any genre, there are good and bad offerings. I don't really seek it out because I find it rare to find something I really like, but there are some bands I've come across over the years who have been fun to listen to for a while. Usually the more melodic they are, the more I'm into it. Raw and rough for the sake of the genre with no attempt to stray doesn't do it for me.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I listen to a variety of metal sub genres but have never found any death metal I really liked and as mentioned above the link to white nationalism etc is a turn off even if it might only be a minority of the bands.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Love black metal, but mostly older stuff. Modern stuff has so many misses for me, the genre has lost most of its creativity and so many bands are tediously predictable and unoriginal. My favorite modern artist when it comes to black metal is Kaatayra/Brii/Vauruva (all the same guy), but it's such a different approach from typical black metal and, as a result, is really refreshing and creative. Anyway, overall, you can't go wrong with the old Norwegian titans of the genre.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I listen to a variety of metal sub genres but have never found any death metal I really liked and as mentioned above the link to white nationalism etc is a turn off even if it might only be a minority of the bands.
Death metal and black metal aren't the same thing. Not many Death Metal links to white nationalism as far as I know.

Personal views of members aside...

I'm in the middle. As with any genre, there are good and bad offerings. I don't really seek it out because I find it rare to find something I really like, but there are some bands I've come across over the years who have been fun to listen to for a while. Usually the more melodic they are, the more I'm into it. Raw and rough for the sake of the genre with no attempt to stray doesn't do it for me.
This is my take as well.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Death metal and black metal aren't the same thing. Not many Death Metal links to white nationalism as far as I know.

This is my take as well.
Sorry mean black metal I had death metal on the brain which I also haven't found many bands/songs I am really into

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The white nationalist links are not exclusive to black metal. There are plenty of sketchy bands in all walks of extreme music (and music in general). To put it bluntly, shitty people like music to, and thus there will be music made by shitty people for shitty people. And genres that have a connection to negative emotions and darker themes (such as black metal, hardcore punk, neofolk, dungeon synth, and even rock in general) tend to attract some of the shitty people who have negative emotions and darker aesthetics.

There is also plenty of black metal that is explicitly anti-fascist.

Anywho, here's some bands that kick ass and have new material - enjoy

Last edited:
Reactions: Know Your Enemy

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I love the old black metal of the early 90s, when it was in its heyday. So many good and creative bands back then. The scene back then in Norway was awesome. Still a lot of excellent bands around, of course but it lacks the magic of the old times, but that's just the way it goes.

Reactions: Realgud

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I love the old black metal of the early 90s, when it was in its heyday. So many good and creative bands back then. The scene back then in Norway was awesome. Still a lot of excellent bands around, of course but it lacks the magic of the old times, but that's just the way it goes.
Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal, Emperor, Gorgoth...and many more.

But there was some crazy shit going on during this times with Varg Vikernes and Euronymous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Realgud

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal, Emperor, Gorgoth...and many more.

But there was some crazy shit going on during this times with Varg Vikernes and Euronymous.
I remember that very well. Lots of crazy stuff with murders and church burnings for a while, then it all quieted down and they started concentrating on the music only. Euronymous' old record store, Helvete, is a site of pilgrimage for fans and bands even today, as there's a second hand metal record store in the same builiding still. Plenty of bands come to take pics n the basement still.

There was never any real satanism in the Norwegian scene, but more built up teenage frustration and anger towards society. The political side of it was only around a for a few years, and centered on Norwegian national romanticism and "positive nationalism" rather than flat out racism and neo-nazism, like Vikernes.

Of course, all those guys are now mid 40s -early 50s now with families, gardens to tend to and living pretty ordinary lives. Funny how it goes, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview

Black metal is the greatest music around, but I choose to only take it in small doses these days. Started with Emperor for me and the rest of the second wave from Norway after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad