Confirmed with Link: Bjugstad to MN (50% Retained) for a Conditional 7th (must play 70 games or get 35pts for the Wild)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
You think this means there's no chance we re-sign Galchenyuk? I kinda liked him in his last few games (but then hated him in the playoffs). Meh - guess I hoped he'd somehow find some traction here.

Reactions: keppel146

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
If he can bounce back and look good we can maybe feel better about trading away more than just donato of the RFAs

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If he can bounce back and look good we can maybe feel better about trading away more than just donato of the RFAs
True, and it's interesting to think about how the value of those cost-controlled RFA forwards is affected by everyone tightening their belts...

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Is this a case , just like Fenton did , of a new GM going out and trading for / signing players he had prior relationships with ?

A few moves by Guerin and almost all with his former boss just like Fenton did when he was here

brainfreeze

Jul 12, 2012
Bemidji
Stick him on a PP unit and let him fire away with that big right handed shot he has and then try to hide him the rest of the time, if you can.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Is this a case , just like Fenton did , of a new GM going out and trading for / signing players he had prior relationships with ?

A few moves by Guerin and almost all with his former boss just like Fenton did when he was here
They say being a GM is all about relationships, and it's not just a new-guy thing. How many times did Fletcher deal with his buddy Tim Murray? I don't know if it's trust or rapport or what, but it seems to be a factor for most teams.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
True, and it's interesting to think about how the value of those cost-controlled RFA forwards is affected by everyone tightening their belts...
Right having someone like greenway with really no leverage on good play over the years could be resigned for cheap on a multi and breakout for a cap strapped team.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota

No other GM is likely to make this exact deal without the relationship the gms have with eachother. The retain, the conditions, the 7th all of that is because of good relations.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I just don't see how getting Bjugstad solves any of our problems at C, but, hey, I thought the same about Staal. Comparing Staal to Bjugstad is pretty optimistic, though.

Guerin must've had some discouraging trade and/or FA discussions about available C's in order for him to do this deal. At least it's for only one year, and a shortened year at that. Feels like we are punting for next season.
Coming from the guy that spent all summer crying about trading one of the top 4 defensman for a center and talking about rather sign a stop gap center like Galchenyuk or Haula? You now complaining about this trade seems a touch disingenuous.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
We can always speculate our own opinions and ideas until we are blue in the face and then something happens in reality.

I'm happy with this incredibly low risk but decent reward move rather than settling on a "big" trade of our top4 defense that doesn't pan out.

Safe is ok with me right now with expansion looming.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I can't see how anyone would be mad at this. It's like a guaranteed free agent at low risk.
If it blocked a roster spot for someone deserving, it wouldn’t make sense. But we need centers, so I think it’s worth a cheap flier.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If it blocked a roster spot for someone deserving, it wouldn’t make sense. But we need centers, so I think it’s worth a cheap flier.
I'm starting to wonder if our RFA age wingers aren't more valuable on the trade market than they are to the team. Selling two of Donato/Greenway/Kunin, using Bjugstad as a 1-year fill-in at RW, and feeding in some of our forward prospects (Boldy/Khovanov/Beckman/Firstov/etc.) beyond that seems like a reasonable and flexible plan.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well i always felt a russian speaking center would have helped kaprizov get settled into north american hockey. can bjugstad speak russian?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
well i always felt a russian speaking center would have helped kaprizov get settled into north american hockey. can bjugstad speak russian?
No, but he can actually play center in the NHL, so that puts him ahead of Galchenyuk.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
You think this means there's no chance we re-sign Galchenyuk? I kinda liked him in his last few games (but then hated him in the playoffs). Meh - guess I hoped he'd somehow find some traction here.
I think it is slim. I’m not so down on Gally. I was actually in favor of giving him a 1-3 year deal if the cost was low(before the playoffs). I remember the Vancouver beat writers were high on him during the matchup Write ups. They said analytical he was progressing the best in his career under Minnesota. However with the playoffs he looked like trash.

i don’t see any interest in bringing him back even if he could speak Russian with Kap. We can’t bank on him being a good 2C because he really wasn’t that good at it. I think some people are crazy thinking he isn’t NHL caliber. He can play in the NHL just not going to ever live up to his draft spot.

Reactions: BlackBusa24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad