Confirmed with Link: Bjugstad to MN (50% Retained) for a Conditional 7th (must play 70 games or get 35pts for the Wild)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I like this deal a lot for you guys, 2M and a conditional 7th for a player who can get 40 points if healthy and a hometown guy, pretty solid imo.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Honestly have no issue with this. Pretty much a 1 year prove it deal. 2 mil for a most likely 4c/depth player.

I confident that this isn’t the fix for the 6c. Let’s pump the brakes on talk like that since we haven’t even had the draft yet.

I won’t lose sleep over a conditional 7th.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He would have to be really bad for him not to be worth a conditional 7th at the deadline. This is basically a free lottery ticket.

The only way that this is a bad move is if it's the only move.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Rask's buyout price combined with Bjugstad's salary is still $700K cheaper than Rask's current contract.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He would have to be really bad for him not to be worth a conditional 7th at the deadline. This is basically a free lottery ticket.

The only way that this is a bad move is if it's the only move.

Conditions are 70 games or 35 points in order for Pittsburgh to get the 7th :laugh:
So if he's a solid third liner or better for us, we gave up a 7th to get him, if not, we gave up nothing.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Watching Pens fans fall apart and their faith in JR crumble after this and the Kapanen deal is the cherry on top.

Reactions: HotDish and 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Conditions are 70 games or 35 points in order for Pittsburgh to get the 7th :laugh:
So if he's a solid third liner or better for us, we gave up a 7th to get him, if not, we gave up nothing.
And if he scores 35 points he will be worth a 2nd at the deadline

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't understand why our fanbase is falling apart over this. Nobody on our message board wanted him on the team. I wanted to buy him out personally.

I don't either.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't understand why our fanbase is falling apart over this. Nobody on our message board wanted him on the team. I wanted to buy him out personally.
I think it's kind of a shrewd move by Guerin, but I don't see why Pens fans would be up in arms about it. It's basically free cap space unless they really wanted Bjugstad to factor into next year's plans.

Reactions: 57special

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
This isn't a terrible deal from the Pittsburgh perspective. Probably would have been smarter to just buy Bjugstad out, but it's understandable that you can't keep a guy like him at $4M when you're up against the cap.

I wouldn't be all that mad if Guerin offered Rask to other teams at the same price.

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
Question from someone who’s pretty new to hockey and trying to learn.

With this acquisition by the Wild, is it possible that he gets added as a piece to a bigger deal? Every time I read about a proposal about a trade for a center where the Wild are concerned, it is centered around a Defenseman. Usually one of the first things replied is that the other team needs a center coming back. Would Bjugstad help get another deal done?

if not, what would be the biggest negative in trying to add him into something bigger?
Injury prone, contract, contract length?

just curious, and trying to learn......

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

With this acquisition by the Wild, is it possible that he gets added as a piece to a bigger deal? Every time I read about a proposal about a trade for a center where the Wild are concerned, it is centered around a Defenseman. Usually one of the first things replied is that the other team needs a center coming back. Would Bjugstad help get another deal done?

if not, what would be the biggest negative in trying to add him into something bigger?

It's possible that Bjugstad is used as an asset in a future trade. It's unquestionable that acquiring Bjugstad makes it easier to add a forward (Donato, Greenway, Kunin, Hartman, Foligno) in any future trades.

There really isn't a negative in trying to trade Bjugstad, but it's pretty clear that he doesn't have any trade value at the moment.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I don't think Bjugstad is the guy, but Bjugstad does make it more likely that another player is included in that trade, yes.

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
Makes total sense, I don’t post much, because I never played and am fairly new to hockey. I figure I have less chance of sounding like a horses a$$ if I keep my mouth shut and fingers off the keyboard...

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
A buddy for Zuccarello, Bjugstad has Norwegian roots.

Kaprisov-Bjugstad- Zuccarello

Could work pretty well :nod:

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Worsts outcome is that he is hurt, or just doesn't play well.

Best thing is he resurrects his career here and puts up 30-40 points by the trade deadline.

Meh. It's all good. Hopefully he can skate a little still.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I have very modest expectations for even a healthy Bjugstad, but even if he doesn't play a game for us it helps Guerin's negotiating position going forward. It makes it easier to include a forward in a larger deal, if that's what it takes, and it also makes the idea of going into next year with no further moves a more credible bluff.

Doing this and nothing else would be bad, but if you're talking trades with Guerin you have to at least consider the possibility that he'll keep his defensemen, go into next year with Staal-Bjugstad-Ek-Sturm as his centers, and go with 4-4 protection in the Seattle expansion. It's not a good plan, but it's incrementally more credible than the position he was working from this morning.

Reactions: 57special and 2Pair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad