Speculation: Bjugstad extension

Dabeast

Jun 13, 2014
South Florida
I know it's not a proposal, but I don't know what else to put it as. With guys like Gallagher and Scandella getting locked up long term why not do the same with Big Nick. What do you think he would command for a 6-8 year deal, and what for a 2-3 year deal. Also if you want make something up about Huberdeau although I would rather wait on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
well with bolland's as a guideline, a little sumfin' sumfin' round campbell's contract i'd say. ;)
he's one of our best players right now and deserves a raise that's for sure

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Don't like long term big $$ out of an ELC give him 2-3 yrs @ 4 and then go for the long term and eat as many UFA years as possible.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
If he keeps his current pace up; Nick's group will probably ask for 5M on a 2 year bridge, Tallon answer back with 3M and they'll settle somewhere in between before arbitration.

My guess 3.85M, 2 year bridge.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Imo depends on how well Bjugstad can keep it up offensively. Hits 30 goals and we are looking at over 4 for a bridge

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
But why would you want to extend a 6'6 player?

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all season :D

What Laus and Soupy said pretty much covers the SOP for a situation such as this. 3 - 5 million for two or three years depending on the player and the players situation.

This can change if Nick explodes and can demand a big deal or if he struggles or wants out or his dad is a nut (ROR case).

But to answer the OP. If I was DT and wanted to lock NB up for 7 years, until 2022 and his 30's I'd think I'd have to start at $5.5 just to get the talks going and I seriously doubt any number below $6.5 gets that deal done.

The times they are a'changing. But even at $6.5 he could look like a sweet deal in a couple more years. $6.5 is < $8.5. Just sayin'...

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
5-6 years, $4 mil per. This would be giving him slightly more than Brendan Gallagher just got which I think is fair.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
6x6m would not upset me, assuming he continues on like he has been last year and this

6x4m would be better, no doubt

6x4.5m seems like the minimum for that length to me, though.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If he keeps his current pace up; Nick's group will probably ask for 5M on a 2 year bridge, Tallon answer back with 3M and they'll settle somewhere in between before arbitration.

My guess 3.85M, 2 year bridge.

I'd be happy with that but wouldn't be opposed to a 3yr @ $4.25 as long he finishes close to his current pace.

I don't see him getting 31 goals but more around 24-26 and 45-48pts. I expect to have him as a Panther for many more years.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Six years would be about $6-6.5 mil per year imo.

MTL's Brendan Gallagher just signed a 6-year deal w/ a $3.75 mil AAV.

Gallagher and Bjugstad's numbers and age are both veryyyyy similar and in the world of contract negotiations it usually comes down to player comparable. Because he already lead FL in scoring once and could do it again is the only reason I think a deal would get bumped up to $4.5 for Bjugs which is reasonable.

6-6.5 for Bjugstad is just way too much and I don't think anyone would expect that. He'll hunt for that money or more when his deal is up around 28 and he's an UFA

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
MTL's Brendan Gallagher just signed a 6-year deal w/ a $3.75 mil AAV.

Gallagher and Bjugstad's numbers and age are both veryyyyy similar and in the world of contract negotiations it usually comes down to player comparable. Because he already lead FL in scoring once and could do it again is the only reason I think a deal would get bumped up to $4.5 for Bjugs which is reasonable.

6-6.5 for Bjugstad is just way too much and I don't think anyone would expect that. He'll hunt for that money or more when his deal is up around 28 and he's an UFA

I agree with everything there except: inflation. Everything is going up.

Quality Defensemen and Big, young top-6 C's are going up even faster. Add Florida traditionally doesn't get a discount.

$4.5 for 4 would be my counter, I think.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I would not do 4 years. 3 or start tacking on ufa years at a higher price.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
I imagine Bjugstad would want a short-term deal (2 years) worth between 3-4 mil a year. He knows he won't be making big bucks until he becomes a consistent 55-75pt player. With a short term deal with that kind of money, Bjugs has time to earn a larger contract and still be reaching towards his prime.

If I'm the Panthers, I offer 2yr/3.85 per year.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I'd give him a short-term contract, so he will still be an RFA the next time he needs an extention, and then sign him longterm. I think thats the best way to get as many years as possible of him in a Panthers jersey.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
He's an RFA after this season. Let's hope DT does not drag out the negotiations like he did with Kulikov. Don't want to leave a bad taste in Bjugs mouth for when he's a UFA.

He is only making 1.2 with bonuses, 900,000 cap hit, whuch is a bargain. Give him a 3.75-4 bridge and see if he keeps producing.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
He's an RFA after this season. Let's hope DT does not drag out the negotiations like he did with Kulikov. Don't want to leave a bad taste in Bjugs mouth for when he's a UFA.

He is only making 1.2 with bonuses, 900,000 cap hit, whuch is a bargain. Give him a 3.75-4 bridge and see if he keeps producing.

Not sure about the rules, but if we sign him for 2-3 years I think he will still be an RFA.

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
depends on how he finishes the season. also depends if they want to see if he can consistently perform like this and see how he does with another 2yr deal, if he continues to do it or even improve over those 2yrs he'll get a big contract. or they gamble and assume he can do it and sign him long term now at a reasonable cap hit.

sign him on a 2yr 3.75per bridge, ends up doing great, and then signs a 6-8yr deal at 6.5-7per, or sign him now for 6yr 5.5-6per

either way it'll be fine as long as he performs like we hope he does. if he can finish the season with 25goals that'd be very promising.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Not sure about the rules, but if we sign him for 2-3 years I think he will still be an RFA.

I'm not sure either! :help:
At first I thought it could depend on whether that lockout stint of 11 games counts as a full season or not. But..

The RFA to UFA rule is 7 years of NHL experience or the year the player turns 27, which ever the player hits first. Bjugstad is set to turn 27 after the year he's possibly played his 7th season, so whether that lockout season counts doesn't make a difference because he'd be a UFA anyway due to that age rule.

So 2019 is the earliest Bjugstad could test UFA.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
At first I thought it could depend on whether that lockout stint of 11 games counts as a full season or not. But..

The RFA to UFA rule is 7 years of NHL experience or the year the player turns 27, which ever the player hits first. Bjugstad is set to turn 27 after the year he's possibly played his 7th season, so whether that lockout season counts doesn't make a difference because he'd be a UFA anyway due to that age rule.

So 2019 is the earliest Bjugstad could test UFA.

Thanks! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad