Speculation: Bjugstad extension

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
There's a lot more to being a "leader" of a team than what you see on the ice. Much of what a captain is comes from the locker room where almost all of us have no insight into at all. There was a reason why Jovo was the captain for much of the time he was here and it had nothing to do what he was on the ice.

Well he was an excellent on ice tank captain.
:sarcasm:

Still believe that a bridge deal starts at 4 for Bjugstad.
He's proving that he is a top 6 center in the league and might even hit his peak of a 1st line center.

What he lacks in defensive positioning he makes up for good stick play and hustle.

CoolburnIsGone

Still believe that a bridge deal starts at 4 for Bjugstad.
He's proving that he is a top 6 center in the league and might even hit his peak of a 1st line center.

What he lacks in defensive positioning he makes up for good stick play and hustle.
I dont know that a bridge HAS to start at 4M. I look at a guy like Claude Giroux who got a bridge deal of 3 yrs and average 3.75M...which was right after he scored 76 pts for the Flyers. Krejci got a similar deal and was more established as a top 6 center. IMO, unless he puts up Ryan Johansen (who got 4M for 3 yrs on his bridge deal) type numbers this yr (which means 30 goals and 60 pts), I can't really see him getting more than $3.5-$3.75M per yr. Which interestingly enough, he's about on pace for that right now (36 g, 56 pts) so we'll have to wait & see there.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I dont know that a bridge HAS to start at 4M. I look at a guy like Claude Giroux who got a bridge deal of 3 yrs and average 3.75M...which was right after he scored 76 pts for the Flyers. Krejci got a similar deal and was more established as a top 6 center. IMO, unless he puts up Ryan Johansen (who got 4M for 3 yrs on his bridge deal) type numbers this yr (which means 30 goals and 60 pts), I can't really see him getting more than $3.5-$3.75M per yr. Which interestingly enough, he's about on pace for that right now (36 g, 56 pts) so we'll have to wait & see there.

Well I'm not hoping it starts there, but I think his agent will be pushing for that number at least.

Giroux had a great year, but that was also when the cap was lower.

I think they'll go off the RJ deal for Bjugstad's bridge deal. I think he can reach those numbers(30 goals-60 points) unless he gets injured. He showed last year he could get points on a consistent basis, after his slow start.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Bjugs is taking on more of a leadership role, that's apparent, but I don't see him as the future captain, nor do I think he's "the leader of the team". He could be an A in a couple years though. I agree that at this point, it looks like it's either gonna be Ekblad or Gudbranson after Mitchell's tenure. They both seem more like natural born leaders, while Bjugs seems more content to just "be one of the guys" and do his thing on the ice. Still taking on more of a leadership mantle, but I don't see him as a captain personality.

CoolburnIsGone

Well I'm not hoping it starts there, but I think his agent will be pushing for that number at least.

Giroux had a great year, but that was also when the cap was lower.

I think they'll go off the RJ deal for Bjugstad's bridge deal. I think he can reach those numbers(30 goals-60 points) unless he gets injured. He showed last year he could get points on a consistent basis, after his slow start.
I'm just saying that the negotiations for Bjugstad's bridge deal won't START at 4M like you said. Columbus started out offering like $2.5M and gradually came up with RyJo while his agent started way high at 6M and came down. His current pace is slightly behind what RyJo got so there's no way he/his agent can justify that he deserves more than RyJo at this point in time. If Tallon was smart, he'd tried to re-sign him in January for 3 yrs at around $3.5M.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I'm just saying that the negotiations for Bjugstad's bridge deal won't START at 4M like you said. Columbus started out offering like $2.5M and gradually came up with RyJo while his agent started way high at 6M and came down. His current pace is slightly behind what RyJo got so there's no way he/his agent can justify that he deserves more than RyJo at this point in time. If Tallon was smart, he'd tried to re-sign him in January for 3 yrs at around $3.5M.

3 @ 3.5 would be stellar if he keeps up this level of production. Fair for everyone and doing it in January would keep the hubbub to a minimum.

RyJo was also THE guy in Columbus and had a stronger bargaining position because of it, I'd imagine.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Jugs thinking about his next contract..

C52nfd0.jpg

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Bjugs is taking on more of a leadership role, that's apparent, but I don't see him as the future captain, nor do I think he's "the leader of the team". He could be an A in a couple years though. I agree that at this point, it looks like it's either gonna be Ekblad or Gudbranson after Mitchell's tenure. They both seem more like natural born leaders, while Bjugs seems more content to just "be one of the guys" and do his thing on the ice. Still taking on more of a leadership mantle, but I don't see him as a captain personality.

Dont sleep on Tro either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad