Biosteel

Clardz

Jan 25, 2013
DFW
I'm a fan of Biosteel, I play drums "professionally" and tour for about half of the year and play hockey when I have the time. I initially started trying out biosteel at adult skills classes since there's often some hard skating drills etc and those classes usually start at 8 or 9pm at my local rink. Was impressed enough start bringing the 14 pack with me on the road, I don't drink it at every show (we usually only have 1 or 2 days off on a 5 or 6 week tour) but for nights where the venue is particularly hot, or say an outdoor festival in hot weather it's my go-to.

Like people have pointed out, since it doesn't have any caffeine or added sugar, it really helps out for late night activity, you can feel energized when you need it but not stir crazy afterwards when you're trying to sleep.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I have sold biosteel at my health food store. It's the type of product that hardcore hockey fans buy but I would not use myself.

The product itself is fine but similar products in the category retail for 20-30 dollars less.

I also wasnt a fan of the taste.

Thesensation19*

I trust BioSteel. I think as far as athletic drinks go, Biosteel is one of the best things for you. But I try to remain more natural.

They claim they are all natural and they legally are so. But using stuff like sucralose is bad and they do it because its not sugar but a sweetener. Other stuff too. 3 yrs ago they told me they were working to fix it soon but i dont think they did

Thesensation19*

I have sold biosteel at my health food store. It's the type of product that hardcore hockey fans buy but I would not use myself.

The product itself is fine but similar products in the category retail for 20-30 dollars less.

You say similar, but how is it comparable... jw.
same ingredients? and still cheaper. Or is it off by certain things

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga

What do you suggest we buy instead?

Count me in as a BioSteel fan. I like how mild the taste is, helps me getting some more hydration before the game and I feel I can reach 100% intensity playing with it. I play some games without it as well and I'd say I'm about anywhere from 90-110% on those days but with BioSteel I find I have more consistent energy shift-to-shift to go 100%+.

Mind you I also lift so I'm regularly drinking protein shakes with creatine as well.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
What do you suggest we buy instead?

Count me in as a BioSteel fan. I like how mild the taste is, helps me getting some more hydration before the game and I feel I can reach 100% intensity playing with it. I play some games without it as well and I'd say I'm about anywhere from 90-110% on those days but with BioSteel I find I have more consistent energy shift-to-shift to go 100%+.

Mind you I also lift so I'm regularly drinking protein shakes with creatine as well.
I think it depends on your needs. The taste of Biosteel is fairly light because it uses stevia. I usually dont use electrolytes before a game because if you're having a meal with say 4-500mg of combined electrolytes then you're good to go. You dont really need additional. You should replace as you go though.

A product like biosteel pink is much better if you have it while you train.

I'm not a huge fan of artificial color and sweetener but Scivation xtend hits the spot perfectly in comparison to Biosteel for hockey purposes. Its about half the price, has way more electrolytes and way more of the BCAA's which is what you want.

On a side note if you want a really cool carb to stack with, Genr8 Vitargo is a very very good one. University studied. Super efficient.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
I've used it and I dig the taste.
I'm not sure if it was helping out or not though...

a cool BCAA i just bought is made by BPI sports called best BCAA

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I prefer Xtend. Recovery is insane and the watermelon flavor tastes like pink Mr.Freeze. Also for those weight watchers it has 0 cals and carbs.

It's also the perfect hangover cure :laugh:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Are these pre/post workout drinks or drinks you have during workouts?

I'm referring to Biosteel and SciVation Xtend. Thanks.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Are these pre/post workout drinks or drinks you have during workouts?

I'm referring to Biosteel and SciVation Xtend. Thanks.

I drink BioSteel on my drive to the game. But I also noticed a pink bottle of water on the bench for my team that someone must drink during the games.

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
So, I'm almost done my 3rd "tub" of Biosteel HPSD and will not be buying it again. Just does nothing for me really. Paid $65 for the first tub and on boxing day got a really good deal on it which came to under $50 so I bought 2 more tubs. I work out at the gym at work and usually workout two or three times during the week and once on the weekend. Since my Biosteel is at work, on weekends I don't have access to it and only use water on that day and I realized that I did not perform any worst on the weekends with just water than I did during the week with Biosteel. Recovery is also the same so at the end of the day it's just not worth the expense for me so I will not be buying it again.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
First, ask yourself what your deficient in? The answer is either sleep, water, salt or proper nutrition.

Everything else is just advertising, sugar and psychology.

I have strength trained off and on for 20 years. I have tried a bunch of crap. Only weigh protein, creatine monohydrate, fish oil have given me true results. Everything else is garbage promising false hope. Its not worth your hard earned money. Don't waste it. Also Zinc and Melatonin can help with mood and sleep.

As for recovery, you just need to eat clean and sleep, then eat some more and then sleep some more. Add stretching and drinking tons of h20 will help. There is no magic pill or drink. But they will try to sell it to you. Seriously, unless you are taking steroids straight up, which i don't suggest you do for obvious reasons, you are kidding yourself.

If water does not do it for you and you need a pregame jolt the obvious answer is small amounts of coffee but also try a homemade gatorade. Water, squeezed lemon and/or lime, sea salt, organic unbleached sugar.

For what its worth....I am relatively new to hockey but I have had 10 private 1 on 1 on ice lessons with a former Captain of a college hockey team in Hockey East. I talked with him multiple times about nutrition and playing hockey. He said "elite athletics including hockey is about two things: genetics and time", and that "Gretzky could eat snickers and drink cokes all day and still be the best hockey player ever". This guy trains athletes from high schoolers to pro hockey players. He told me that someone like myself "just needs to eat healthy, drink water and get plenty of sleep" and that "the real mental edge is just confidence in your game".

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2005
CA
First, ask yourself what your deficient in? The answer is either sleep, water, salt or proper nutrition.

Everything else is just advertising, sugar and psychology.

I have strength trained off and on for 20 years. I have tried a bunch of crap. Only weigh protein, creatine monohydrate, fish oil have given me true results. Everything else is garbage promising false hope. Its not worth your hard earned money. Don't waste it. Also Zinc and Melatonin can help with mood and sleep.

As for recovery, you just need to eat clean and sleep, then eat some more and then sleep some more. Add stretching and drinking tons of h20 will help. There is no magic pill or drink. But they will try to sell it to you. Seriously, unless you are taking steroids straight up, which i don't suggest you do for obvious reasons, you are kidding yourself.

If water does not do it for you and you need a pregame jolt the obvious answer is small amounts of coffee but also try a homemade gatorade. Water, squeezed lemon and/or lime, sea salt, organic unbleached sugar.

For what its worth....I am relatively new to hockey but I have had 10 private 1 on 1 on ice lessons with a former Captain of a college hockey team in Hockey East. I talked with him multiple times about nutrition and playing hockey. He said "elite athletics including hockey is about two things: genetics and time", and that "Gretzky could eat snickers and drink cokes all day and still be the best hockey player ever". This guy trains athletes from high schoolers to pro hockey players. He told me that someone like myself "just needs to eat healthy, drink water and get plenty of sleep" and that "the real mental edge is just confidence in your game".

May be true, really no scientific way to prove it right or wrong. For me at 42 years of age I need a little extra push, don't drink coffee and I need to feel 100% during the game and the next day. If you're in your 20's you probably don't need supplements, you're firing on all cylinders and have a lot of energy. With age that all changes. I've used BioSteel and a myriad of other supplements and my only advice is find you're own path. Listen to what others say, try stuff you find interesting or think you might need or be deficient in and see what happens. There is a big push in the supplement industry to go to more natural products, natural stimulants, no food coloring, no fillers, don't think it can hurt those of us aging hockey players or athletes.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I play college hockey and I drink 1 scoop before a game as well as another scoop in the locker room between intermissions. I can noticeably feel a difference in the fatigue level in my legs if I drink it and if I don't. It is much more efficient than the pre-workout 75% of my team was slugging before games during Juniors. On the other hand, if I drink it before a workout it doesn't give you the buzz that a pre-workout will.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
The last supplement I took was Xtend besides the ones I still take which I mentioned previously. About 2 years ago I bought two jugs and I still have one sitting in the pantry. Tastes decent. Probably not good for your teeth. Didn't do anything for me but give me loose poops as far as I could tell.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Bio Steel is just BCAAs with electrolytes and flavoring.

Much cheaper options out there for the same concept. If you are willing to put in a bit more work, there are some awesome home mixtures that can really get you going.

My current is (using a nutria bullet to get it to a juice like mixture):

200-400mg of caffeine powder
Spinach
1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil (huge for energy and performance; Google MCT oil)
5-10g of BCAAs via your favorite brand & flavor (I'm currently using AminoX as I like the ratio)
1 cup frozen fruit
Water (can go coconut water if you really need the hydration)

Blend and drink 15-45 minutes before a skate and you'll be zooming.

Can also add creatine, beta alanine etc. if you like additional options.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
I don’t want to create a new thread, I know it’s been almost 4 years since the last post.

Can we take Biosteel while we are working out at the gym?

damack

Jan 3, 2014
I don’t want to create a new thread, I know it’s been almost 4 years since the last post.

Can we take Biosteel while we are working out at the gym?

I use Biosteel sports drink while I'm working out and playing hockey. I sweat lots, the electrolytes help

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad