Biosteel

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Checked out their website, seems that they have 3 products, which one are you asking about? One seems to be standard Gatorade with a bit of protein, another seems to be standard Gatorade with a lot of protein, and the last is just a whey protein powder.

neksys

Jun 24, 2009
I'm going with the skeptics in saying: this product offers nothing new.

Get enough protein through diet or standard whey, recover post workout with anything that has a 3 or 4:1 protein/carb ratio (chocolate milk works great). Bam - you're getting damn near everything these products offer without costing a fortune.

adamp12345

Jul 16, 2010
Looking to pick up some of this stuff as some of the boys say it's good. I know Matt Nichol created it and it seems pretty popular right now around the rink. Any of you guys use/used it? What did you think?

ya ive used the advanced recovery formula not worth the price at all but thats my personal opinion and im still using the sports drink and thats AMAZING!!!

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Thanks for the input guys!
ya ive used the advanced recovery formula not worth the price at all but thats my personal opinion and im still using the sports drink and thats AMAZING!!!
Yeah the product I'm most interested in is the sports drink. What would you say are the effects it has on your workout/game? Thanks!

JJ Johnson

Jun 7, 2012
Team BioSteel is popular (in my opinion) because Mike Cammallari wears their hat & t-shirts in post-game interviews (plug/endorsement for a friend of his, or the product he uses... fair enough - I just don't like endorsements being forced like that :)

I haven't checked their product line in a while, but when I read the nutrition label, it just seemed like a different approach then other performance drinks - an approach that I didn't feel was "optimal".

From what I read, there were no carbohydrates in the drink (their "pre & during" drink) - and this is NOT optimal for a sport like hockey. As well, there was no caffeine or creatine, two helpful substances that also help in hockey.... it's just amino acids (very important) and some vitamins & minerals...and lots of marketing and pushes from their buddies Cammallari and Gary Roberts. Gotta love the fraternity! lol.

Regarding their post-workout drink, again, unfortunately there are no carbohydrates - critically important post-workout! Your body needs carbs to stimulate the anabolic process (= to release the hormones that shuttle the protein to muscle), so with no carbs, it's not very effective!!!

Regarding the price, it's actually not "that" expensive (relatively speaking)... pretty neat trick the other marketing giants have done, the Dairy Farmers (who btw of course supply great funding for these "chocolate milk studies"),,, it's a bit of a myth to think that "supplement products" are crazy expensive and "milk" is somehow not... a large chocolate milk (at Tim Horton's let's say) is about $2.25, giving you ONLY 18g of PROTEIN, 60g of carbs, and 6g of fat... Male athletes especially NEED more protein then that, particularly post workout! So for that "price" of $2.25 or so, you're not getting a very thorough recovery drink... so, per "unit value" sort of thing, I'm suggesting that the "supplement" stuff isn't all that expensive when viewed from that perspective.

Nevertheless, chocolate milk does have it's place, and is a decent alternative if you don't have a more thorough recovery drink available.

Hope that makes sense!

Thesensation19*

I never had but from my research, I would probably use it commonly. And I am that all natural kind of guy, prefer water over really anything.

I am upset at Biosteel for being one of the companies that claim all natural but that have sweeteners and other ingredients that were def made in labs. BUTTTT the reason why i would use it is because its very limited. 2 or 3 ingredients i prefer not to have in my body where as drinks like gatorade and worse have a paragraph full of stuff.

Nothing can be as overhyped as Gatorade. Its really just sugar and salt, i drink a little only when im fully drained after a game. Like i feel i detoxed my body on the rink is when i need some gatorade but its overhyped cuz pro athletes are telling you its the best lol.

Matt Nichol actually created Biosteel because of fake drinks like Gatorade.

The best thing for your body long term is a constant array of good healthy food and natural drinks. Water, alot of it. Juices, fruit. If you want a strong post work out drink, I would recommend biosteel

Thesensation19*

Team BioSteel is popular (in my opinion) because Mike Cammallari wears their hat & t-shirts in post-game interviews (plug/endorsement for a friend of his, or the product he uses... fair enough - I just don't like endorsements being forced like that :)

I haven't checked their product line in a while, but when I read the nutrition label, it just seemed like a different approach then other performance drinks - an approach that I didn't feel was "optimal".

From what I read, there were no carbohydrates in the drink (their "pre & during" drink) - and this is NOT optimal for a sport like hockey. As well, there was no caffeine or creatine, two helpful substances that also help in hockey.... it's just amino acids (very important) and some vitamins & minerals...and lots of marketing and pushes from their buddies Cammallari and Gary Roberts. Gotta love the fraternity! lol.

Regarding their post-workout drink, again, unfortunately there are no carbohydrates - critically important post-workout! Your body needs carbs to stimulate the anabolic process (= to release the hormones that shuttle the protein to muscle), so with no carbs, it's not very effective!!!

Regarding the price, it's actually not "that" expensive (relatively speaking)... pretty neat trick the other marketing giants have done, the Dairy Farmers (who btw of course supply great funding for these "chocolate milk studies"),,, it's a bit of a myth to think that "supplement products" are crazy expensive and "milk" is somehow not... a large chocolate milk (at Tim Horton's let's say) is about $2.25, giving you ONLY 18g of PROTEIN, 60g of carbs, and 6g of fat... Male athletes especially NEED more protein then that, particularly post workout! So for that "price" of $2.25 or so, you're not getting a very thorough recovery drink... so, per "unit value" sort of thing, I'm suggesting that the "supplement" stuff isn't all that expensive when viewed from that perspective.

Nevertheless, chocolate milk does have it's place, and is a decent alternative if you don't have a more thorough recovery drink available.

Hope that makes sense!

Team Biosteel is not popular because Mike Cammalieri wears its logos. Its because its done an excellent job in creating a productive product and marketed it well getting a handful of athletes from hockey to olympic sports to the NFL who believe in it. I dont think one product was made this popular because of Mike C... Stamkos believes in everything Gary Roberts and Matt Nichol has told him in the last 3 years including nutrition. Now they have Nail Yakupov.

You say the drink is not optimal. You say your body needs carbs after a work out and you say it needs creatine? And no caffeine?

After that sentence, no one should be listening to your advice. Caffeine and especially creatine is far from needed in hockey or being a healthy living being in general. I dont even want to know what kind of sport drinks you drink. The only thing your body needs is healthy arrange of varied food and fruits and water.

Biosteel was not meant to load you up on Carbs and Caffeine and especially crap like Creatine. If your randomly tired before a game or practice, have some green tea. Much less dehydrating then coffee and 10x healthier for your body now and in the long run. But if your constantly tired and need caffeine then you should be getting more rest in general.

Amino Acids is basically the original source of energy that your body needs. Its the building blocks of protein and energy. Have foods with more Vitamin B and you will notice your body being more energized on a constant basis.

Stay away from supplements like Creatine. Does more harm than goodl.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The people behind Biosteel are very, very smart and specialize in high end athlete nutrition needs. But they also push a very expensive product using star athletes to pimp the name.

I would guess for the majority of us, we would make far more improvements nutrition-wise by just eating clean, real food and staying away from junk food and booze. Maybe for the guys that have their diet 100% under control they could benefit from the top end supplementation. Kind of like using $1000 skates that are a few grams lighter...for us schlubs it won't make a difference but for an elite athlete it might make a millisecond difference which could mean a win or loss.

My gut says a little gatorade powder in water and some low fat milk afterwards should be just fine. I think to a point protein powder is overrated unless you are working out like a fiend.

jonoc4

Sep 23, 2013
I've heard a lot of the pros use this stuff actually. It isn't just like gatorade with protein (gatorade is mostly just sugar and offers pretty small amounts of electrolytes). Also i'm sure it is better than a glass of chocolate milk which is like... what.. 15g of protein 20g for a big glass? pretty sure (depending on your size) that is less than half of what most require after a workout. They say you need two scoops for the advanced recovery formula if you are between 150 and 220lbs, which is about 50g protein. Which kind of makes sense because Nichol specializes in diets based on individual body type. I also checked the ingredients and theres no sucralose or any **** in it either. looks good.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
i've been using this at the gym and at hockey and i'm pretty satisfied.
it tastes great and i feel well hydrated. My focus/energy seems to stick with me until the end of the workout/game.

keep in mind i eat well throughout the day and drink lots of water too.

Either way most players in the NHL drink this stuff on the bench so it must be super good.

just don't think it's going to make you a sick hockey player or anything.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
I've heard a lot of the pros use this stuff actually. It isn't just like gatorade with protein (gatorade is mostly just sugar and offers pretty small amounts of electrolytes). Also i'm sure it is better than a glass of chocolate milk which is like... what.. 15g of protein 20g for a big glass? pretty sure (depending on your size) that is less than half of what most require after a workout. They say you need two scoops for the advanced recovery formula if you are between 150 and 220lbs, which is about 50g protein. Which kind of makes sense because Nichol specializes in diets based on individual body type. I also checked the ingredients and theres no sucralose or any **** in it either. looks good.

gatorade is just sugar, sodium and water.

Biosteel is a BCAA (branched chain amino acid blend).

pretty much the same stuff you get in any intraworkout drink at your supplement nutrition store. like this http://ca.bodybuilding.com/store/musclepharm/amino1.html

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
The people behind Biosteel are very, very smart and specialize in high end athlete nutrition needs. But they also push a very expensive product using star athletes to pimp the name.

I would guess for the majority of us, we would make far more improvements nutrition-wise by just eating clean, real food and staying away from junk food and booze. Maybe for the guys that have their diet 100% under control they could benefit from the top end supplementation. Kind of like using $1000 skates that are a few grams lighter...for us schlubs it won't make a difference but for an elite athlete it might make a millisecond difference which could mean a win or loss.

My gut says a little gatorade powder in water and some low fat milk afterwards should be just fine. I think to a point protein powder is overrated unless you are working out like a fiend.

protein powder is for muscle recovery/rebuilding. this is your post workout/game nutrition. repair those torn muscle fibres. bodybuilders suggest you get about 1g of protein per lb of body weight. obviously the protein powder is just a supplement. helps you get that extra 25 grams after your done workout or before bed or whenever. the extra 150+ grams should be from your meals throughout the day.
1 shake isn't going to do squat.

biosteel is an intraworkout nutrition. helps you get through your workout/game keeping your endurance/intensity up to the third period.

no one really NEEDs these supplements. they're just staples to help you out.

dedication/hardwork will give you the best performance/results

Last edited:

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
I tried it.. eh.. tastes like slightly watered down Jack3d, which is basically like nuclear waste would taste like if you added berry flavor.

Didn't play badly in my game, but I had to pee like three times right before the game, which wasn't easy in goalie gear. I did make the drive to my other game and caught the last 5 minutes without any problem.

Some might crab about the $60/bottle price, but I figure at 60 servings it really isn't much worse, price-wise, than Gatorade, which I drink.

Jul 31, 2005
CA

You have to factor in age when you're talking about supplements. I can tell you without a doubt at 40 years of age if I played ice hockey at 11PM on Friday nights like I do and relied on gatorade and some chocolate milk I would be too sore to get out of bed the next day. Like with most other things in life if you can afford Biosteel and are looking to "feel better" why not give it a shot and see how you feel the next day? Doesn't sound like it's a stimulant so it won't give you any edge when you play. The NHL guys have to get on a plane after the game, fly to another city and sometimes be ready to go the next night. Just eating clean isn't going to get you back to 100% as you pull away from your early 20's.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I think the idea that it's simply a meh product being pushed by athletes for friends is pretty naive. The guy that made it was the strength and conditioning coach for the Leafs and designed it specifically for the Leafs players. It wasn't until he left the team that he decided to turn it into a company

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Just thought I'd bump this..

I've never been big on pre-workout supplements for workouts or physical activity in general but recently I decided to try something out. I picked up a tub of "Bullnox" pre-workout and was amazed at the difference in energy level and focus that it gave me but the caffeine in it was a huge downside. I found the only time I was really able to workout with Bullnox was in the morning because taking it virtually anytime after 2 made it so difficult to sleep. So I did a little research to see if there was anything out there that didn't have this downside to it.. BioSteel was the one that stood out to me just because I'm familiar with the summer training program. I looked into it a little more and everything seems great about it. It sounds like it's something that is really going to grow in popularity soon. The stat of over 50% of teams in each major professional sport using this product was enough for me to give it a shot. I bought a tub of it tonight and tried it for the ODR, first impressions are solid although I know I didn't take it properly so I'll give a better impression tomorrow. On first try, even without drinking it during the skate I felt great energy and even 2 hours after taking it I'm still feeling focused.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Just thought I'd bump this..

I've never been big on pre-workout supplements for workouts or physical activity in general but recently I decided to try something out. I picked up a tub of "Bullnox" pre-workout and was amazed at the difference in energy level and focus that it gave me but the caffeine in it was a huge downside. I found the only time I was really able to workout with Bullnox was in the morning because taking it virtually anytime after 2 made it so difficult to sleep. So I did a little research to see if there was anything out there that didn't have this downside to it.. BioSteel was the one that stood out to me just because I'm familiar with the summer training program. I looked into it a little more and everything seems great about it. It sounds like it's something that is really going to grow in popularity soon. The stat of over 50% of teams in each major professional sport using this product was enough for me to give it a shot. I bought a tub of it tonight and tried it for the ODR, first impressions are solid although I know I didn't take it properly so I'll give a better impression tomorrow. On first try, even without drinking it during the skate I felt great energy and even 2 hours after taking it I'm still feeling focused.

You really have to read the labels when it comes to pre-workouts nowadays. 90mg of caffeine is 1 cup of coffee, some of these pre-workouts come with 2-3 times that in caffeine plus other stuff like green tea extract. I'm in the market for a good pre-workout with no caffeine so I'll have to look into BioSteel as an alternative.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
I picked up the 14-pack to try out recently, since I usually get crazy dehydrated even if I'm drinking water after every shift. Last game I had one and felt great both during and afterwards. I'm gonna give it a few more games just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but it seems to work for me.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I picked up the 14-pack to try out recently, since I usually get crazy dehydrated even if I'm drinking water after every shift. Last game I had one and felt great both during and afterwards. I'm gonna give it a few more games just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but it seems to work for me.

Just picked some up today, gonna try it instead of the usual C4 tonight. Growing weary of the stimulants I ingest each week between playing hockey and doing cross fit.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Officially sold on BioSteel. This stuff is unbelievable for strength training. Didn't really notice it much for cardio but man oh man, it feels like the recovery is almost instant sipping it throughout your strength workout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad