Buffalo Bills Bills Season - Part V: 2-2 - Next: Oct 11 at Titans, 1:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Anyone going to the game this weekend? Im headed down and also going to the Preds game to watch the other Generational prospect on Saturday night.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I hated the Seahawks after the Fail Mary thing....I really hated them after Sherman called out Crabtree and became a selfish pile of garbage on national TV. After this I think hate can't even be the word. Its more. Any other team and they probably call that. I don't know how you can call yourself an official and not look at that. All turnovers are supposed to be reviewed. Is that a myth of sorts and the obvious ones they really don't? I mean it was obvious and clearly a fumble but still.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

10-6: DOUG WHALEY ON WGR (22:23)
Buffalo Bills' GM Doug Whaley coming up NEXT on WGR

Whaley: "When you have a young quarterback throwing over 40 times per game, that's not good for your chances of beating anybody"

Whaley: "We have to make a concerted effort to get the running game going again"

Whaley on Marcus Mariota: "Poised, athletic QB with accuracy that took care of the ball. Those are good qualities in a quarterback"

Doug Whaley announces that Karlos Williams suffered a concussion against the Giants

Whaley said indications right now are that Watkins injury is not that severe and wont be long term but he said you never know w/soft tissue

Last edited:

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
Ugh, terrible game. Nonsense penalties aside, Roman forgot how to call an offense in the first half and the defense started out doing exactly the same thing they did against New England: no immediate pressure AND playing 6-7 yards off each receiver. Credit the Giants, they saw what NE did right and rammed it down our throats the same way.

Looked like the same ol' Bills for most of the first half and by the time the adjustments were made, it was too late and the two completely ********* calls negating TDs ("holding" and "chop block") didn't help. Botching the 4th and 2 field goal, Karlos missing a block on 3rd down at the goal line, Bradham missing the tackle in the backfield... Bad gameplan coming in and crucial plays that we either blew ourselves or the refs blew for us. Not going to win many games like that.

At least if the pattern follows, we'll stomp on the Titans. Fingers crossed.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I hated the Seahawks after the Fail Mary thing....I really hated them after Sherman called out Crabtree and became a selfish pile of garbage on national TV. After this I think hate can't even be the word. Its more. Any other team and they probably call that. I don't know how you can call yourself an official and not look at that. All turnovers are supposed to be reviewed. Is that a myth of sorts and the obvious ones they really don't? I mean it was obvious and clearly a fumble but still.

Fail mary was the Packers own fault... I think it was TJ Lang who was on Twitter complaining about the reffing having a negative impact on the game.... what had a negative impact on that game was the 10 sacks the Packers offensive line gave up in the first half alone.

It's the NFL and reffing calls all even out eventually (unless you're the Bills). Packers got 2 ridiculous calls this past game. The first was the pass interference on Sherman last in the 2nd quarter before half time. The Seahawks jumped offside, and half the Packers line stood up before the ball was snapped. Play should have been dead, but refs l it go on and Rodgers threw it far down field on a prayer and got the PI. That play put ended up putting points on the board for the Packers. The other was the fumble where the Seahawk came up with the ball, but they still gave it to the Packers.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
I don't have a horse with either Seattle or Detroit, but why is that even a penalty at all. No one on the ESPN MNF crew or the NFL desk initially thought it was a penalty. Obviously Wright didn't know it was a penalty, as he was alone with the ball and could have done whatever he wanted. He batted it out of bounds because it intuitively doesn't seem like a thing that should be a foul. It seems like just a good smart move by the defender to force the touchback. Even though it comes up so rarely I hope they change that rule in the offseason, because you really should be allowed to do that.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 4m4 minutes ago
Trent Richardson is working out for the #Bills today, source said. Two key injuries necessitated it

I don't have a horse with either Seattle or Detroit, but why is that even a penalty at all. No one on the ESPN MNF crew or the NFL desk initially thought it was a penalty. Obviously Wright didn't know it was a penalty, as he was alone with the ball and could have done whatever he wanted. He batted it out of bounds because it intuitively doesn't seem like a thing that should be a foul. It seems like just a good smart move by the defender to force the touchback. Even though it comes up so rarely I hope they change that rule in the offseason, because you really should be allowed to do that.

This is a rule that isn't enforced much. You usually can see it on onside kick attempts.

It is illegal to deliberately bat, punch, or kick a ball. This is usually used to knock the ball out of bounds or on a fumble away from an opposing team recovering the fumble.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/153427942/nfl-batted-ball-rule-seahawks-lions-mnf

What the hell is the rule?

The rule that pertains to the batted-ball incident in Seattle is Rule 12, Section 4, Article 1 titled "Illegal Bat."

It is an illegal bat if:

a) any player bats or punches a loose ball in the field of play toward his opponent's goal line

b) any player bats or punches a loose ball (that has touched the ground) in any direction, if it is in either end zone

c) an offensive player bats a backward pass in flight toward his opponent's goal line

Exception: A forward pass in flight may be tipped, batted, or deflected in any direction by any eligible player at any time.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

there's specific text in the rule book preventing you from batting a fumble anywhere on the field, intuitively it should never be something you do because it isn't legal anywhere on the field, it's like saying that high sticking a puck into the net should be legal because intuitively you want to score

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
It is illegal to deliberately bat, punch, or kick a ball. This is usually used to knock the ball out of bounds or on a fumble away from an opposing team recovering the fumble.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/153427942/nfl-batted-ball-rule-seahawks-lions-mnf

The rule that pertains to the batted-ball incident in Seattle is Rule 12, Section 4, Article 1 titled "Illegal Bat."

I wasn't questioning the existence of a rule. It is beyond debate that it was illegal by the letter of the current rulebook. I was questioning why that specific action should be illegal. Why should that rule exist?

To me what Wright did is just like batting down a hail mary at the end of a half even though you could have intercepted it. Or taking a knee at the 1 yard line to keep the ball and run out the clock, even though you could have run in for a touchdown. Those are heads up smart moves that minimize the chances of anything going wrong, and batting the ball to force a touchback should be the same.

there's specific text in the rule book preventing you from batting a fumble anywhere on the field, intuitively it should never be something you do because it isn't legal anywhere on the field, it's like saying that high sticking a puck into the net should be legal because intuitively you want to score

It actually is legal to bat the ball backwards anywhere but the endzone. And your analogy doesn't work at all. Batting the ball forwards is illegal because fumbling is not supposed to be a valid method of advancing the ball. Similarly, batting the puck from above waist-level is not supposed to be a valid method of shooting. In contrast, trying to achieve a touchback on a turnover near the endzone is a legitimate defensive strategy.

Its like a few years ago a “force out” was an illegal play by a DB, that resulted in the WR being awarded the catch even though he landed out of bounds. Then one day the league realized that that was dumb and that a force out should be a smart, legal action. And now it is. That’s what should happen here.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
It actually is legal to bat the ball backwards anywhere but the endzone. And your analogy doesn't work at all. Batting the ball forwards is illegal because fumbling is not supposed to be a valid method of advancing the ball. Similarly, batting the puck from above waist-level is not supposed to be a valid method of shooting. In contrast, trying to achieve a touchback on a turnover near the endzone is a legitimate defensive strategy.

Its like a few years ago a “force out†was an illegal play by a DB, that resulted in the WR being awarded the catch even though he landed out of bounds. Then one day the league realized that that was dumb and that a force out should be a smart, legal action. And now it is. That’s what should happen here.

its not a legitimate strategy, it's an illegal play that comes with a spot foul, a return of possession, and a new set of downs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad