Buffalo Bills Bills Season - Part V: 2-2 - Next: Oct 11 at Titans, 1:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I've seen stats that suggest the only way to even remotely slow down Gronk is to jam him hard at the line. With that in mind one idea might be to jam him with a linebacker, then have Williams pick him up. Might work...

They'd have to be very good with the transition. If Gronk gets covered by an LB for even a second or two, he's going to exploit that all day long since LB's can't really cover him.

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
Gronk is the closest thing in the NFL to uncovereable. Zone is a death sentence against him and Edelman so I'm hoping for a lot of man coverage (jam him on crosses, let a safety pick up seam routes, count on your other CBs to hold up on their assignments, hell put Gilmore on him when he splits wide). Best thing to do is disrupt the hell out of Brady's timing with pressure and not give free space to guys like Edelman, the way the Steelers were. It'll be a fantastic test for the D and Rex as a gameplanner

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Gronk is the closest thing in the NFL to uncovereable. Zone is a death sentence against him and Edelman so I'm hoping for a lot of man coverage (jam him on crosses, let a safety pick up seam routes, count on your other CBs to hold up on their assignments, hell put Gilmore on him when he splits wide). Best thing to do is disrupt the hell out of Brady's timing with pressure and not give free space to guys like Edelman, the way the Steelers were. It'll be a fantastic test for the D and Rex as a gameplanner

Yea, I think the key to stopping the Pats offense this Sunday is more getting pressure on Brady.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Push Dr Tracksuit said:
There was 1 fewer 2-point conversion in week 1 this year than week 1 last year.

Of course, what you don't mention is that last year's week 1 was an outlier in terms of how many two point conversions were attempted through the course of the year.

2014 WEEK 1: 7 attempts in 16 games (.44 a game)
2014 TOTAL SEASON: 59 attempts in 256 games (.23 a game)

2015 WEEK 1: 6 attempts in 16 games (.375 a game)

That pro-rates to 96 attempts over the season, assuming two point conversions are equally likely in any given week.

Of course, while that was almost certainly the case before the rule change, it may no longer be the case. In bad weather a 33 yard field goal can become iffy. It may, again, change the calculus and cause more coaches to go for it in 50-50 type situations.

I remain quite confident that the number of two point conversions will be markedly higher than the high 50's numbers the league has averaged since they instituted the conversion from college (for the record, the record high number is 69).

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Of course, what you don't mention is that last year's week 1 was an outlier in terms of how many two point conversions were attempted through the course of the year.

2014 WEEK 1: 7 attempts in 16 games (.44 a game)
2014 TOTAL SEASON: 59 attempts in 256 games (.23 a game)

2015 WEEK 1: 6 attempts in 16 games (.375 a game)

That pro-rates to 96 attempts over the season, assuming two point conversions are equally likely in any given week.

Of course, while that was almost certainly the case before the rule change, it may no longer be the case. In bad weather a 33 yard field goal can become iffy. It may, again, change the calculus and cause more coaches to go for it in 50-50 type situations.

I remain quite confident that the number of two point conversions will be markedly higher than the high 50's numbers the league has averaged since they instituted the conversion from college (for the record, the record high number is 69).

are you also going to compile stats on which 2-point conversions were the result of score effects? or is every 2-point conversion directly caused by the rule change (as if the rule was forcing people not to kick), 6/6 this week were by teams down more than 2 scores

Last edited:

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
are you also going to compile stats on which 2-point conversions were the result of score effects? or is every 2-point conversion directly caused by the rule change (as if the rule was forcing people not to kick), 6/6 this week were by teams down more than 2 scores

That's what a legitimately large sample size is for. Obviously one week of data isn't enough to say one way or the other. But there's no reason to believe score effects will be significantly different over 1200 PAT attempts compared the 1200 or so PAT attempts in previous seasons. From 2009 to last year, there were anywhere from 50 to 69 2 pt conversions. If we end this year at 80 or 90, it will be pretty convincing evidence that the rule change caused the increase.

You also already agreed that the try in the Thursday night game was influenced by the new rules, by suggesting it was influenced by the Steelers not having faith in their kicker. That scenario does not drop up when kicking from the 2 yard line.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
If they were going to release a rb I would have preferred it to Dixon....

Am I the only fan that does not think highly of Boobie ??

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
between belichick's comments about crowd noise and shaughnessy's masterpiece in the globe, there's plenty of billboard material this week for rex to exploit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad