Buffalo Bills Bills Offseason: SI Cover Swag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Williams....does he even have that much good football left?

They can cut him if it ever gets to that. This extension is all about creating more cap space for this year. It's clear that they're going all in. They probably aren't going to have room to add much outside of the draft the next couple offseasons. This year is their big play to set up the team they want for the near future.

I'll believe it when I see it with Kyle. The guy is something else. He should still be a solid player for a while yet. I don't see him just falling off a cliff.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Can't imagine they just tacked on a year for no reason? Freeing up more cap space for now?

That's the primary reason contracts are re-worked. Non-guaranteed base salary is converted to a signing bonus. The player benefits because they now get a pile of money upfront, and the team benefits because they can amortize the bonus payment over the term to lower the cap hit.

It's a tricky balance, and it's how some teams screw themselves. That amortized bonus money accelerates if the player is cut, so you have to be mindful of that. Teams can also play a dangerous game with voidable years at the end of a deal matched to performance. Lets them spread out the bonus payments that much further, but if the player hits the performance targets, the end years void, the player goes to free agency, and the bonuses accelerate on the cap.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Our corner depth kinda scares me. I remember the Oakland game when Gilmore went down...Carr just picked on Brooks the entire time after that.

Same concerns about safety. No way Duke Williams steps in as starter.

Have to assume the Kyle deal spreads his cap number. His hit is 6.4M right now, fourth highest on team.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Same concerns about safety. No way Duke Williams steps in as starter.

Have to assume the Kyle deal spreads his cap number. His hit is 6.4M right now, fourth highest on team.

I think we grab someone on the second day that can play safe (round 3 maybe?). Notice in his interview Whaley didn't say we don't need Searcy, he said a team can't afford to have two high-paid safeties. A rookie would be cheap enough. I imagine we see some Duke, some Graham, and some of this rookie back there at FS. I could also see us sliding Aaron Williams to FS and bringing in someone that's more of a prototypical 46 SS that can play in the box and hit hard and even on the LOS. Rex loves stacking the box, but Aaron Williams doesn't really do that at all.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Fitz to the Jets. They just got somewhat decent. Its ironic we dumped him for the guy many wanted to be the next QB but he's been a flop. Ironic that this team might be better off right now with Fitz than what they've got.

Karate Johnson*

Several football geniuses, including Urban Meyer (the best coach in the game) have called Percy Harvin the most talented football player they have ever been around.

Harvin is a ridiculous talent. He's not Goodwin at all that's just dumb.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Someone needs to make an app or software that tells you whether or not an account is real or fake....it's getting ridiculous...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
That's a lot of money for a FB. Dumb.

Wow, That came out pretty hostile. My Apologies Stokes

As long as they are able to still operate without hurting other parts of the team, then why not. He's not OVERLY overpaid for the role he brings, and he's regarded very highly around the league. This is was the best FB on the market brought into a team that will rely on the running game. Seeing as McCoy and company will be the bulk of the offense, you try to get someone in here who will help and shore up the LB and DL from putting a pounding on them. Having him will save years on their careers.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
What is term, $, and cap hit?

I don't know much about Felton, (I know a little bit more about Clay from Miami).

But as to the "that's a lot of money for a FB" debate...

If you're going to be a Rex Ryan / Greg Roman running team...
AND you have a crappy O-line
AND still have talent and depth uncertainties on the O-line,
AND you don't have a quick-read-capable QB to get out of trouble on passing downs,
AND your back-up QB may not be mobile if his foot doesn't heal right,
AND you don't know if you can get a more athletic TE/H-back signed (Clay),
AND you don't know if Fred will hold together for the full season,
then why not spend the money to assure yourselves of having the particular FB talent you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad