Buffalo Bills Bills Offseason Part I 2016 - Next: Minicamps and OTAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
The last few days have me a bit dazed regarding the Bills. Shot after shot, tough to take.
I'm use to it at this point. If they ever do make the playoffs again it will be an amazing thing to witness but having no expectations now it makes things a lot easier to handle with this organization. The Sabres are another matter though.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Good article from Sports Illustrated today ripping Whaley for his bullishness and foolish comments about his rookies. This guy seems to be on his last breath as GM thankfully.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Good article from Sports Illustrated today ripping Whaley for his bullishness and foolish comments about his rookies. This guy seems to be on his last breath as GM thankfully.

Then we can hire Matt Millen! I hear he's available!

:rolleyes:

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Doubt it very seriously. A measured reasonable response from you as per usual.

Didn't you know that Sports Illustrated articles HEAVILY influence the owner's decision-making processes?! It's a wonder the NFL isn't filled with GMs straight from the swimsuit edition.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Didn't you know that Sports Illustrated articles HEAVILY influence the owner's decision-making processes?! It's a wonder the NFL isn't filled with GMs straight from the swimsuit edition.

Hate to hear what he thinks about Jalen Ramsey pick for the Jags. Going into the draft, they know he had a major knee surgery before...then weeks after the draft, he injures the same knee again.

Any hate for Whaley is terrible. Whaley has been the best GM for the Bills since Polian. Look at some of those mid-2000s rosters and all the Whaley rosters look 1000 times better.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Look at some of those mid-2000s rosters and all the Whaley rosters look 1000 times better.

They may "look" better but they don't "do" better.

I don't care how a team "looks" on paper. I care about results.

Going into last season the Bills had one of the top defenses in the league on paper. We all know how that turned out.

What good is putting together a "great-looking" team if the end result is 8-8 year after year?

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
av3SUve.png

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver

I'm having mixed emotions of being thoroughly terrified and laughing hysterically. :amazed::laugh:

Oh and since you brought up Jerry Jones.....hmmm. Speaking of GMs drafting players early, knowing that they're injured...

"Jaylon Smith will be ready for the playoffs!" :sarcasm:

No worries, boys. I have full confidence that Shaq Lawson will be 100% healthy for the Super Bowl. Well, maybe 90% healthy...everyone plays injured in the playoffs. :laugh:

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Hate to hear what he thinks about Jalen Ramsey pick for the Jags. Going into the draft, they know he had a major knee surgery before...then weeks after the draft, he injures the same knee again.

Any hate for Whaley is terrible. Whaley has been the best GM for the Bills since Polian. Look at some of those mid-2000s rosters and all the Whaley rosters look 1000 times better.

Yeah, agreed. The Bills were a JJ Watt pick-six and a Bryce Brown fumble in the end zone away from making the playoffs two years ago. Can't put those two plays on Whaley. Whaley's only major blunder was drafting EJ in the 1st round, but EJ was forced to start from day 1 due to Kolb's concussion in the preseason. If EJ had a chance to sit for a couple of years, who knows how he would've developed.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
They may "look" better but they don't "do" better.

I don't care how a team "looks" on paper. I care about results.

Going into last season the Bills had one of the top defenses in the league on paper. We all know how that turned out.

What good is putting together a "great-looking" team if the end result is 8-8 year after year?

They do do better. Bills record the past two years has been better than almost every year since 1999. Plus first back to back seasons at 500 or above since 1999.

Whaleys two teams have out performed the playoff draught teams.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Whaley's teams HAVE STILL BEEN playoff drought teams.

Or have we made the playoffs sometime recently and I missed it?

That's irrelevant. Use your brain for a sec. His job is to acquire and keep talent, and he does well at it. GM's don't have control of who gets injured, or who is making a stupid split second decision that costs the team a game.

Whaley consistently hits on his draft picks through the middle rounds, and doesn't seem to have any issues re-signing valuable players. Besides a little more tact in dealing with media, what exactly is he missing?

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
That's irrelevant. Use your brain for a sec. His job is to acquire and keep talent, and he does well at it. GM's don't have control of who gets injured, or who is making a stupid split second decision that costs the team a game.

Whaley consistently hits on his draft picks through the middle rounds, and doesn't seem to have any issues re-signing valuable players. Besides a little more tact in dealing with media, what exactly is he missing?

Nothing. Which is why he's been one of the best GMs for the Bills. No one should b calling for him to get fired.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

His job is to build a winning football team. Evaluating him by any other metric is short-sighted.

It's like when Darcy Regier would garner praise for "winning" every trade he made, despite the fact that his team was nonetheless getting worse and worse.

Sometimes I swear that people can't see the forest for the trees. The forest is the playoffs.

A GM's primary job is not simply to draft good players or to win trades. His job is to build a winning team. A playoff team. That is how they should be evaluated.

And if Whaley can't get this team to the playoffs in a reasonable time-frame, then he's a failure who should be fired. No matter how many good players he drafted or free agents he re=signed.

Last edited:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

To play devil's advocate, what's the metric at which this is being evaluated? Is he hitting on middle round draft picks simply because they're starting players? Is being a starting player on a non-playoff team really an accurate measure for success? Every player he ever drafted could be a starter and if the team still continues to miss the playoffs, that's not hitting on your picks.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
To play devil's advocate, what's the metric at which this is being evaluated? Is he hitting on middle round draft picks simply because they're starting players? Is being a starting player on a non-playoff team really an accurate measure for success? Every player he ever drafted could be a starter and if the team still continues to miss the playoffs, that's not hitting on your picks.

The Keith Ellison argument!

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Can't see the image cybersabre posted, but I'm pretty sure Candice Swanepoel has a Tight End.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad