Buffalo Bills Bills Offseason Part I 2016 - Next: Minicamps and OTAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
If Lawson fell due to his shoulder injury, and he's got the ability to come back at 100% later this season, I say it's a really good move with the PR angle in mind. Somewhat devious.... something the Pats would do.

This situation isn't the McGahee situation.

It's worse than the McGahee situation. All reports say Lawson has a shoulder issue at the draft. The Bills (who continue to want to be smarter than everyone else) deny it and "clear" him. Then he aggravates it against a tackling dummy and out six months. Then that nitwit Whaley spins a statement about how Lawson is an incredible team player. I mean, come on. Total amateurs over there.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016

This actually made me feel better. I was in and out and didn't hear this, but heard them refer to "George" after this call. I was furious that Shefter knew something that we didn't or that we made the "Clemson pick". Instead this seems like a shrewd move that just had to be done. If he comes back and dominates I won't complain. Of course if he doesn't, Whaley is doomed.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
It's worse than the McGahee situation. All reports say Lawson has a shoulder issue at the draft. The Bills (who continue to want to be smarter than everyone else) deny it and "clear" him. Then he aggravates it against a tackling dummy and out six months. Then that nitwit Whaley spins a statement about how Lawson is an incredible team player. I mean, come on. Total amateurs over there.

How is it worse? McGahee completely tore his knee to shreds. The Bills didn't meet the contract for Price, essentially taking away the deep passing game for Bledsoe by trading him for a first. Then they used that first to draft a complete gamble at a position they already had a good player at in Henry. Then they had to. Come back the next year and take Evans, got a third for Henry, and McGahee was never that great. Completely undid the offense that had promise.

Lawson's injury is WAY less severe and easy to comes back to 100% from with time; and not a year like McGahee and hopefully he's good. He'll be back at 100% in November. He plays a position of need. He's displacing no one, and will make the defense better. So he has to wait? He can learn the complex defense.

It's a complete over-reaction to say this is worse than McGahee.....simply because we don't like the way the medical staff assessment and the flop on the surgery stance. In 8 months no one will care.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I'm getting cynical in my old age but it makes the front office look like idiots. They deny or play down the shoulder questions, may have even disputed the Schefter report, then he winds up needing shoulder surgery after a non contact injury with a tackling dummy... I could live with the team drafting someone with an injury if the prognosis is good but the lies and/or deception about his status is laughable. You already drafted the kid just admit it's an issue and move on. Oh well, hope he fully recovers. Playoffs in 2017?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Lawson will be fine. The guy they thought they were getting with the first pick they managed to get in the second. Lawson is a bonus and I think he'll be out 5 months tops.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm getting cynical in my old age but it makes the front office look like idiots. They deny or play down the shoulder questions, may have even disputed the Schefter report, then he winds up needing shoulder surgery after a non contact injury with a tackling dummy... I could live with the team drafting someone with an injury if the prognosis is good but the lies and/or deception about his status is laughable. You already drafted the kid just admit it's an issue and move on. Oh well, hope he fully recovers. Playoffs in 2017?

I think the whole thing was pre-planned. NFL doctors don't make these types of mistakes. Whaley downplayed it in draft day, and the Bills are getting tons of positive press. This story will go away tomorrow on the national radar. Because it didn't happen on draft day when most fans watch, it's not going to impact ticket sales. Lawson will be back in November at 100%.

Drafting a hurt player on draft day goes over poorly. Pre-planned.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver

I think the Bills should just cancel their 2016 season and forfeit all of their games, tbh. 0-16 fer sher.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Guys, guys! Lawson isn't just going to be a Bill for next year. This is a long term solution. Relax a bit. If he misses a few games in his rookie year instead of a bunch of games or whole season later in his career, then this is the right move.

RELAX.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I think the whole thing was pre-planned. NFL doctors don't make these types of mistakes. Whaley downplayed it in draft day, and the Bills are getting tons of positive press. This story will go away tomorrow on the national radar. Because it didn't happen on draft day when most fans watch, it's not going to impact ticket sales. Lawson will be back in November at 100%.

Drafting a hurt player on draft day goes over poorly. Pre-planned.

That's plausible, but even if this was all pre-planned, they still played it poorly in the public eye. The optics were very poor, if you will. They could have spun it a lot better.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
That's plausible, but even if this was all pre-planned, they still played it poorly in the public eye. The optics were very poor, if you will. They could have spun it a lot better.

Lesser of two evils. They get a great player who fell to them, and one who plays a position of need and high impact. He needs surgery but will come back at 100%. You make the pick because he's the best player and you really need a pass rusher.

Tell everyone he needs surgery on draft day or in press conferences after the draft? Or wait until workouts and get "pre-emptive" surgery? I take the latter.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY

You're acting like this guy would have gone undrafted if not for us. Someone always eventually picks the top-rated guy sliding due to injury, character, etc. The re-aggravation of his condition was a probabilistic possibility no matter how optimistic or pessimistic his medical evaluations were. And even though we were unfortunate enough for it to occur, the result is that misses the first few games of his rookie season. Darn!

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Lesser of two evils. They get a great player who fell to them, and one who plays a position of need and high impact. He needs surgery but will come back at 100%. You make the pick because he's the best player and you really need a pass rusher.

Tell everyone he needs surgery on draft day or in press conferences after the draft? Or wait until workouts and get "pre-emptive" surgery? I take the latter.

No, I get what you're saying on what they did and why regarding drafting him and not saying he needed surgery on draft day.

But the way Whaley spun it then and now is off.

He could have simply said "The shoulder is not something we are worried about" on draft day or downplayed it another way, instead of coming out right and basically saying it's a non-issue.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
No, I get what you're saying on what they did and why regarding drafting him and not saying he needed surgery on draft day.

But the way Whaley spun it then and now is off.

He could have simply said "The shoulder is not something we are worried about" on draft day or downplayed it another way, instead of coming out right and basically saying it's a non-issue.

Well the spin was weeks apart with two different sets of facts.

Whaleys first comment was they weren't worried about it, I don't think he ever said it's a total non-issue. Whaley had a doctor report from the team that is was good to go.

Weeks later, Shaq aggravates it (this is a new fact that Whaley didn't know about after the draft since it hadnt happened yet). Doctors reevaluate and say, he could make it all season without surgery and we can do it next off-season or he may need it in the middle of the year. If we do it now, he misses four games. If it happens in the middle of the year, he will miss a bunch more.

On that new information, the team decides, let's do the surgery now so he misses a couple games tops.

If the Bills really thought the shoulder was a major issue, they would have had surgery weeks ago so Shaq is ready week 1 or 2.

You can see this new information thing from an example that happened to the Redskins 2 years ago. Deangelo Hall hurt his knee it achilles. Team said he would be out for x amount of time. As he's progressing and looks like he will come back soon, Hall decides he wants to cook pizza and then aggravates his injury and is out longer. Hall aggravating his injury didn't make the Redskins liars or spin artists. Weird stuff happens and that has the chance to change evaluations and reconsider opinions.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I like Whaley as a football guy but he really shouldn't be talking much in the public space. He's a trainwreck at PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad