NFL: Bills-Bengals postponement impact on schedule discussion (UPD: Game cancelled)

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Buffalo had played the entire year to get that #1 and it was taken away from them without them losing a game, you agree with that?

Chiefs were handed the controll of #1 without earning it, you agree with that?

Bengals despite winning their division may not play a home game in these playoffs.

It absolutely makes a major difference whether you need to face Chiefs/Bills/Bengals x2 in these playoffs or one of Chiefs/Bengals/Bills.

Chiefs were handed a easier path to Super Bowl without earning it and 2 teams were punished without deserving it
The Bengals were very likely going to beat the Bills which would have the Chiefs as 1 seed which they have earned by having the best record in the AFC. Cancelled games are written into the rules resulting in going by win % which gives it to the Chiefs, well earned. The NFL is changing the rules midseason to benefit the Bills. It's not really difficult.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
The Bengals were very likely going to beat the Bills which would have the Chiefs as 1 seed which they have earned by having the best record in the AFC. Cancelled games are written into the rules resulting in going by win % which gives it to the Chiefs, well earned. The NFL is changing the rules midseason to benefit the Bills. It's not really difficult.
Objection. Asserting facts that are not in evidence (or true).

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Exactly, the rules state that winning % is used to seed. Don't like the rule, have it reviewed in the offseason. That they are trying, in good faith, to add addition to this rule in light of an very unique situation is fine but also should not be a usual practice.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Objection. Asserting facts that are not in evidence.
Bengals have had 1 home loss all year, to a division rival in week 1 in OT. They have a 7 game winning streak and 9 of their last 10. Were up 7-3 with the ball in Bills territory. They clearly had the upper hand and were more likely to win the game. No one can say what would've happened in the final 50 minutes but anyone objective with a brain can say the Bengals were more likely to win. Not a difficult concept.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Bengals have had 1 home loss all year, to a division rival in week 1 in OT. They have a 7 game winning streak and 9 of their last 10. Were up 7-3 with the ball in Bills territory. They clearly had the upper hand and were more likely to win the game. No one can say what would've happened in the final 50 minutes but anyone objective with a brain can say the Bengals were more likely to win. Not a difficult concept.
You said "very likely"

I can use my own stats. The Bills had been behind in 5 different games with 6 minutes left in the first quarter this year. They were 5-0 in those games. They had won 6 straight games themselves. They hadn't played a single game all year where they didn't have a chance with the ball at the end, and I'll take my chances in that scenario with Allen all day. They were getting the ball at halftime so had a chance to "double up" around the break.

It was a regular NFL game in the 1st quarter between two very good teams. No one has ANY IDEA WHATSOEVER who was going to win. Only a moron would say otherwise.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
You said "very likely"

I can use my own stats. The Bills had been behind in 5 different games with 6 minutes left in the first quarter this year. They were 5-0 in those games. They had won 6 straight games themselves. They were getting the ball at halftime so had a chance to "double up" around the break.

It was a regular NFL game in the 1st quarter. No one has ANY IDEA WHATSOEVER who was going to win. Only a moron would say otherwise.
lol ok then. enjoy crying when the Bills come up short yet again in the playoffs, at least this time you'll have an excuse you can cling to. The NFL literally changed the rules midseason to benefit the Bills and you're still crying about it.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
lol ok then. enjoy crying when the Bills come up short yet again in the playoffs, at least this time you'll have an excuse you can cling to. The NFL literally changed the rules midseason to benefit the Bills and you're still crying about it.
Actually it seems like you're the one crying about it. I have said multiple times I'm ok with how the NFL handled the situation, despite the fact that the Chiefs are the ones who objectively benefit from the Bills-Bengals game being cancelled.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Actually it seems like you're the one crying about it. I have said multiple times I'm ok with how the NFL handled the situation, despite the fact that the Chiefs are the ones who objectively benefit from the Bills-Bengals game being cancelled.

There is no scenario where someone doesn't benefit from a game being cancelled and that the two teams involved are going to lose out.

The Chiefs could actually argue that the rules clearly state they get the #1 seed as winning % kicks in and home field throughout, end of story.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

And the Bills have the 2nd best road record in the NFL this season with only 2 losses. Trailing only Philly with 1 loss.

Far too early in the game to make assumptions that the Bengals were clearly going to win.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
There is no scenario where someone doesn't benefit from a game being cancelled and that the two teams involved are going to lose out.

The Chiefs could actually argue that the rules clearly state they get the #1 seed and home field throughout, end of story.
I realize this. Again, I have no problem with how the NFL handled this. I wouldn't have an issue with the NFL if they decided to just go by win % with no extra considerations. I do have a sort of "what the hell, universe" attitude with all the Bills/surrounding area have had to put up with this year, but again, the NFL/teams are not to blame to this.

But it is still the fact that objectively speaking, the Chiefs' odds to get to the Super Bowl increased significantly because of the Bills-Bengals game getting cancelled, despite the minor additional tweaks the NFL put into place. And when Chiefs fans come in crying about the situation, not only is it kinda gross given the circumstances, it's factually untrue, so you're damn right I'm going to talk back.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I’ve already said the Bengals lost the most

But from Bills side.

They were the #1 in the AFC with a tiebreaker over Chiers and neither mean zero right now

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
And the Bills have the 2nd best road record in the NFL this season with only 2 losses. Trailing only Philly with 1 loss.

Far too early in the game to make assumptions that the Bengals were clearly going to win.
I never said they clearly were going to win, just that of the amount of game that was played, the Bengals clearly had the upper hand and were in the driver's seat. If it was the other way around and the Bills were up 7-3 with the ball in Bengals territory people would 100% be claiming the Bills would've likely won the game. And they'd be justified in doing so. But the reality was the other way around.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I never said they clearly were going to win, just that of the amount of game that was played, the Bengals clearly had the upper hand and were in the driver's seat. If it was the other way around and the Bills were up 7-3 with the ball in Bengals territory people would 100% be claiming the Bills would've likely won the game.And they'd be justified in doing so. But the reality was the other way around.
No, I absolutely would not be. Because I understand football is a 60 minute game with lots of twists and turns and I understand that a 7-3 lead in the first quarter is worth about as much as the random paper bag I ran over on the way to work on the highway in the grand scheme of things.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No, so how about a coin flip for #1 rather than relying on winning %?

I would have liked them to find a realistic way to give Buffalo a chance at that #1 place.

They had earned it with their game through 16 weeks and now it’s just gone

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would have liked them to find a realistic way to give Buffalo a chance at that #1 place.

Since the Bengals and Bills are not going to play a game and this only play 16, but have the emotional and mentally draining experience of Hamlin’s injury, have to make the best of it. Neither team was mentally ready to play the balance of the game earlier this week to save the game and the nfl wasn’t going to make them play the game after week 18.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

There isn't a realistic way without it being more unfair for the Chiefs than it currently is for Bengals and Bills. It makes no sense to hurt the Chiefs any more than the two teams who unfortunately could not get their game in.

If you gave the tiebreaker over the Chiefs back to the Bills, this presumes a Bills win over the Bengals and then this week's Bengals/Ravens games is actually for the Division title.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
The only team truly getting screwed in all this is the Bengals. I do not even know how someone could dispute that. This should show teams now that doing the right thing will lead you to get penalized.
So, lets recap what these changes do for the Bengals:
1) They cannot get the top seed
2) They need outside help to get the 2 seed
3) They "win" the AFC north but still need to win another game otherwise a coin flip decides if they get home field advantage for one game
4)If they face the Bills in the playoffs, no coin flip is necessary, no neutral site, the Bills get homefield. But if the Bills win this week and face Chiefs it is at a neutral site.

There is not a single benefit for the Bengals in this, not one. Not one other team could the same be said for. Next time, I would say if you dont want to play its a forfeit or we stay on the field.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Since the Bengals and Bills are not going to play a game and this only play 16, but have the emotional and mentally draining experience of Hamlin’s injury, have to make the best of it. Neither team was mentally ready to play the balance of the game earlier this week to save the game and the nfl wasn’t going to make them play the game after week 18.

& NFL shouldn’t punish them because of it, what it is they are doing now

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Interesting discussion:

Discussing that there is a rule already in place for cancelled games - winning % is used to determine seedings. So why is there even a discussion?

I would counter that the game wasn't cancelled initially, it was cancelled subsequently with an idea of some compromise to be worked out.

Shouldn’t be a surprise the league had a plan in place. You know they thought through cancelled game possibilities during the covid season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
& NFL shouldn’t punish them because of it, what it is they are doing now
No solution would be fair to everyone involved. Multiple teams can play the what if game. KC, Bal most heavily impacted as KC can get the bye with a Cin win that game and a Cin loss to Bal. Bal could win the division with a Cin win that game and they beat Cin in the final game. Buf can get the bye if they win out. Con could have also gotten a bye if things fall in place for them too.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
What was more likely? The Bills losing to either Cincy or to the Patriots or the Chiefs losing to the Raiders?

What was the chance the Bills were getting #1 seed going into the Bengals/Bills game?

And whatever the seeds %'s are now, a neutral site game needs to be factored into the value of the #1 seed.
Bills already beat the Chiefs this season, so KC is already down %. Buffalo hasn't lost a game this after trailing in the 1st quarter, Buffalo was the favored team going in to that game to begin with.

As for a neutral site, if Buffalo, Cincy or KC meet in a playoff game, sure, that would be the balanced outcome. But what would be the site? I'd surmise Hawaii would be the most neutral, they have the stadium, the pro bowl was played there every year. But, just a suggestion. Houston, Phoenix, any number of the SEC stadiums. There are options here.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
The only team truly getting screwed in all this is the Bengals. I do not even know how someone could dispute that. This should show teams now that doing the right thing will lead you to get penalized.
So, lets recap what these changes do for the Bengals:
1) They cannot get the top seed
2) They need outside help to get the 2 seed
3) They "win" the AFC north but still need to win another game otherwise a coin flip decides if they get home field advantage for one game
4)If they face the Bills in the playoffs, no coin flip is necessary, no neutral site, the Bills get homefield. But if the Bills win this week and face Chiefs it is at a neutral site.

There is not a single benefit for the Bengals in this, not one. Not one other team could the same be said for. Next time, I would say if you dont want to play its a forfeit or we stay on the field.
We've heard from multiple direct sources (Joe Burrow for one) that the Bengals didn't want to play either. The Bills weren't the only team affected by seeing this live.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Not a Bills or Bengals fan but this is an insanely stupid post for obvious reasons.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No solution would be fair to everyone involved. Multiple teams can play the what if game. KC, Bal most heavily impacted as KC can get the bye with a Cin win that game and a Cin loss to Bal. Bal could win the division with a Cin win that game and they beat Cin in the final game. Buf can get the bye if they win out. Con could have also gotten a bye if things fall in place for them too.

This ruling hurts exactly 2 teams and benefits 1 team greatly

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes