NFL: Bills-Bengals postponement impact on schedule discussion (UPD: Game cancelled)

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
It isn't a ruling. And why would expect the two teams who had a game cancelled wouldn't be the most affected?

And for the umpteenth time, Cincy and Buffalo benefit by not falling any more than #3 and #2, something that was on the table if they replayed their game.

Either present an alternative that wouldn't penalize the Chiefs more than the Bills/Bengals or stop bellyaching.
Exactly.

Two straight Cincinnati losses would've dropped them to like the 6 seed.

Two straight, or even one loss Mon, could've dropped Buffalo to the 3rd seed.

Both benefited by not having worst case scenario occur to either. Despite neither fulfilling game number 16.

Had it been KC (In spot Buffalo was)/Cincy and KC was now in Buffalo's spot. I wouldn't like it. But...I would understand it.

And OT here. Get rid of this stupid rule where only one team gets a bye. I hate it. It's absolutely ridiculous. The top two teams should always get first round byes no matter what.

NFL is about money etc. I get it. But figure out a way that 14-3 teams are not losing byes or what not.

And you're still wrong - Buffalo CAN fall to 3. It's actually KC that cannot fall to 3 anymore as a direct result of the game being cancelled.
So if Buf loses and Cin wins, the Bengals get 2 seed? This weekend?

Regardless, if Buffalo isn't energized and can't beat an inferior NE team, well...unfortunately maybe they have deeper issues roster wise.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
MahomesforPresident said:
So if Buf loses and Cin wins, the Bengals get 2 seed? This weekend?
As explained on literally the last page....yes.

And before the cancellation, KC could have been 3 if they lost to LV, CIN beat BUF and BAL, and BUF beat NE. Now CIN can't pass them. So they get that perk as well.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So a team that didn't get the opportunity to lose a 4th game, gets the 1 seed? Then, you have upset KC fans.

Again, there was no way to satisfy everyone.

The league needs to fix this in the offseason. It wasn't possible to extend the SB by a week or have no break between title games & SB.

It KC loses in the AFC title game or the SB, this is all moot. In terms of them getting an asterisk SB win. Which they don't deserve an asterisk if they win.

If Buffalo loses to Cin or KC, there's a great chance that it's because they were outplayed by better teams.

I’m not at all surprised you see this as the best case scenario.

The point is.

Bills were the #1 team
Bills had the tiebreaker over the Chiefs.

Guess who ends up with the #1?
The team that’s lost to both the Bills and the Bengals

Bills had earned the right to have a shot at the #1 and it was taken away from them just like that

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
And you're still wrong - Buffalo CAN fall to 3. It's actually KC that cannot fall to 3 anymore as a direct result of the game being cancelled.

Fair enough, Buf still benefitted by still being in the driver's seat for the #2 seed with a win this week. This would not have been the case if they lost last week.

Again, not arguing that the two teams whose game was cancelled lost more than they gained, unlike the Chiefs, but until someone can throw out an alternative that, at worst, has an equal affect on the three teams, rather than hurt the Chiefs more, stop bellyaching.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I’m not at all surprised you see this as the best case scenario.

The point is.

Bills were the #1 team
Bills had the tiebreaker over the Chiefs.

Guess who ends up with the #1?
The team that’s lost to both the Bills and the Bengals

Bills had earned the right to have a shot at the #1 and it was taken away from them just like that

What are you going to do? Their game was cancelled and there has to be consequences.

It sucks but it's time to move on.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Fair enough, Buf still benefitted by still being in the driver's seat for the #2 seed with a win this week. This would not have been the case if they lost last week.

Again, not arguing that the two teams whose game was cancelled lost more than they gained, unlike the Chiefs, but until someone can throw out an alternative that, at worst, has an equal affect on the three teams, rather than hurt the Chiefs more, stop bellyaching.
I've said multiple times that I'm fine with what the NFL did. It's just the reality of a shitty situation and the luck of the draw. It's not like the NFL is purposefully favoring one team or another - I'm confident the decision would be the same if the shoe was on the other foot. What I'm not okay with Chiefs fans coming in and whining about poor them (which is not happening here, but I've seen on another board and various other places), and that somehow they're getting screwed by all this when it's quite clear the opposite is happening.

And it's worth noting the poster least happy with this and complaining the most appears to be a Pats fan, not a Bills fan ;)

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
This scenario was more likely than Cincy getting the #1 seed. People are too busy being angry to acknowledge this.
I'm not sure I agree. Maybe if Lamar was playing. KC is on the road and BUF/CIN are at home. That matters when we're evaluating these games.

I think all three teams have an approximately even chance of losing this week (or at least would if it was a normal week 18...we're kinda in uncharted territory here)

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I've said multiple times that I'm fine with what the NFL did. It's just the reality of a shitty situation and the luck of the draw. It's not like the NFL is purposefully favoring one team or another - I'm confident the decision would be the same if the shoe was on the other foot. What I'm not okay with Chiefs fans coming in and whining about poor them (which is not happening here, but I've seen on another board and various other places), and that somehow they're getting screwed by all this when it's quite clear the opposite is happening.

And it's worth noting the poster least happy with this and complaining the most appears to be a Pats fan, not a Bills fan ;)

I agree that while they are making things up as they go why not even things out with a coin flip for #1 seed if any of the three are tied in wins but still keep the neutral site in place. This would lessen the advantage to the Chiefs and can be justified with the Chiefs head to head losses.

I'm not sure I agree. Maybe if Lamar was playing. KC is on the road and BUF/CIN are at home. That matters when we're evaluating these games.

I think all three teams have an approximately even chance of losing this week (or at least would if it was a normal week 18...we're kinda in uncharted territory here)

KC isn't playing a team that has anything to play for.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Note: The Raiders and Patriots will both get killed on the weekend. So I am jumping ahead.

Imagine the outrage for giving Buffalo a one seed when it appeared they were on the way to losing 4 games. While KC finished with three losses. When KC played 17. Buffalo 16 due to postponed game they were losing.

That is simply unfair to KC.

Buffalo did not fulfill their alloted 17 game schedule. KC did.

Buffalo gets three straight home games starting Sunday. A potential AFC title game wouldn't be at Arrowhead. It will be in a random stadium.

The league got this right. And if the roles were reversed, I'd agree with it.

In this scenario, I think a coin flip for #1 seed would be fair given the Bills beat the Chiefs head to head. You do have to acknowledge that the Chiefs did absolutely benefit by moving from #2 to #1 this week.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

Because Mahomes winning MVP plus another SB inches him closer to Brady.

If Mahomes was injured, and the backup was Joe Blow, I doubt the outrage would be the same.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
In this scenario, I think a coin flip for #1 seed would be fair given the Bills beat the Chiefs head to head. You do have to acknowledge that the Chiefs did absolutely benefit by moving from #2 to #1 this week.
They benefited. But they benefited correctly.

I don't believe a coin toss is fair. Buffalo, from what I hear, had the opportunity to play Cincinnati Tue or Wed. They declined.

Fair or not, declining had some consequences.

The AFC winner will have fully deserved to be SB bound. And keep in mind that there is no guarantee any of these three teams could beat Eagles (I think will make it) in SB.

It would be kind of funny if somehow a team like the Jaguars or Chargers come out of the AFC. Meaning this entire situation was kind of for not. Not that I expect that to happen.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
They benefited. But they benefited correctly.

I don't believe a coin toss is fair. Buffalo, from what I hear, had the opportunity to play Cincinnati Tue or Wed. They declined.

Fair or not, declining had some consequences.

The AFC winner will have fully deserved to be SB bound. And keep in mind that there is no guarantee any of these three teams could beat Eagles (I think will make it) in SB.

There has been no report from the NFL that the game was cancelled due to the Bills declining to play. This makes your arguments moot.

A game was cancelled due to circumstances out of control of the two teams. The presumption is that the league shares in the challenge a cancelled game brings to the playoffs but does not presume that either the Bills or Bengals should be "penalized" for not wanting to play.

IMO, the Chiefs are getting for more benefits (moving to the #1 seed going into Week 18, cannot drop to #3) than losses (possible loss of home field vs. the Bills/Bengals). A coin flip closes that gap but still keeps them at #3 in terms of being affected by the cancelled game.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
There has been no report from the NFL that the game was cancelled due to the Bills declining to play. This makes your arguments moot.

A game was cancelled due to circumstances out of control of the two teams. The presumption is that the league shares in the challenge a cancelled game brings to the playoffs but does not presume that either the Bills or Bengals should be "penalized" for not wanting to play.

IMO, the Chiefs are getting for more benefits (moving to the #1 seed going into Week 18, cannot drop to #3) than losses (possible loss of home field vs. the Bills/Bengals). A coin flip closes that gap but still keeps them at #3 in terms of being affected by the cancelled game.
So if Buffalo or Cincinnati don't win the SB, is everything going to be blamed on this situation?

And how would the coin flip work. Does Goodell do it on national TV to prove there are no shaninagans? Behind closed doors?

It is what it is now. I hope this is reviewed in the offseason.

Please go back to the top two seeds getting a bye. There are ways to work around that.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
So if Buffalo or Cincinnati don't win the SB, is everything going to be blamed on this situation?

And how would the coin flip work. Does Goodell do it on national TV to prove there are no shaninagans? Behind closed doors?

It is what it is now. I hope this is reviewed in the offseason.

Please go back to the top two seeds getting a bye. There are ways to work around that.

No, stop with the drama.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I hate to say it. It may seem inhumane. But short of confirmation of a guy dying, what if a game can't be postponed?

For instance, the accident happens. Bills-Bengals play 3 1/2 more quarters. If a report comes out he is dead, ok. Game over. Do whatever. Anything else, play on?

I don't know how you get around it otherwise. You can't delay the postseason due to logistical reasons. Because hotels are booked for SB etc. So one week between third round and SB won't work.

Networks nor the league will want huge games like this happening midseason. As a way to make it up if possible. They always want it near the end.

Or, you can postpone MNF. Then, they play the next night.
The nfl probably has to figure something out this off season. This was unprecedented but going forward they need to have some primary guideline of How to operate moving forward since it has now happened.

Rare that it happens but if it does again at least have a plan of trying to fit the game in and or figure out how to decide playoffs of a canceled
Game.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
This scenario was more likely than Cincy getting the #1 seed. People are too busy being angry to acknowledge this.
Nah, Lamar isnt playing this week. Dont let the facts get in the way of your narrative though.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
For what it's worth, many on Chiefsplanet message board aren't thrilled with the prospects of an AFC title game on a neutral field.

I visited Bills forums. Most understand the situation. Seem to be happy about at least two straight playoff games.

Went to Bengals forum. Well...they are irate to say the least.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Nah, Lamar isnt playing this week. Dont let the facts get in the way of your narrative though.

This doesn't change the fact that Cincy had a chance to finish #5 or #6 going into Week 17.

For what it's worth, many on Chiefsplanet message board aren't thrilled with the prospects of an AFC title game on a neutral field.

They should be thrilled that they hold their destiny to get #1 in their hands unlike a week ago.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
This doesn't change the fact that Cincy had a chance to finish #5 or #6 going into Week 17.

They should be thrilled that they hold their destiny to get #1 in their hands unlike a week ago.
Above you were defending the Chiefs getting the 1 seed. Now, you seem upset over it.

Do you think the league got this wrong?

Keep in mind that head to head is a tiebreaker. Better record is the decision maker. The Chiefs, at the end of the day, will have the better record.

In 2012 the Ravens beat NE. Yet, Patriots hosted the Ravens in playoffs.

In 2013, the Patriots visited Denver despite beating them in regular season.

In 2018, NE beat KC twice. The playoff game was in KC though.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Above you were defending the Chiefs getting the 1 seed. Now, you seem upset over it.

Do you think the league got this wrong?

Keep in mind that head to head is a tiebreaker. Better record is the decision maker. The Chiefs, at the end of the day, will have the better record.

In 2012 the Ravens beat NE. Yet, Patriots hosted the Ravens in playoffs.

In 2013, the Patriots visited Denver despite beating them in regular season.

In 2018, NE beat KC twice. The playoff game was in KC though.
No, it's the simple acknowledgement that the Chiefs were very lucky in how everything played out and the game being cancelled boosted their chances to make the Super Bowl significantly by taking what was essentially a coin flip to get the 1 seed and making it >80%. It's NOT saying that the NFL handled it poorly or made a poor choice.

That aside, it's also kind of gross to be complaining about given the circumstances even if they were in a break even type situation (which again, they are clearly not).

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
No, it's the simple acknowledgement that the Chiefs were very lucky in how everything played out and the game being cancelled boosted their chances to make the Super Bowl significantly by taking what was essentially a coin flip to get the 1 seed and making it >80%. It's NOT saying that the NFL handled it poorly or made a poor choice.

That aside, it's also kind of gross to be complaining about given the circumstances even if they were in a break even type situation (which again, they are clearly not).
Well the Chiefs will have a better record than Bills. Better record overtakes head to head.

Unfortunately the Bills didn't have an opportunity to lose or win the game.

Yes...KC benefited. But I think the league got it right.

So I think we agree.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Also, I think the league just didn’t want the Bills to have to go back to Cincinnati.

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
I don't know how I feel. I would have been ok with a Bills forfeit or a tie.

I do feel that the Bengals got the short end of the stick. Also, they lost a home game this year.

I do like the idea that if the Ravens get a home (playoff) game, they should also get the worse draft pick and the harder schedule next year. I also like the idea that a Buffalo-Cincy game should be at a neutral site or even decided via a coin flip.

I hope at the end of the day, the best team deals with adversity and gets to the SB. Life isn't fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00