Buffalo Bills Bills (6-2) vs. Vikings (7-1), November 13, 1PM ET: 'Both Teams Can Win A Trade' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Personally I don't trust Josh Allen. Coaching can't fix the interceptions he's throwing. Defense has been decimated by injuries and is still playing decent. Top QBs have to orchestrate game-winning drives. Allen's not doing that.

I like the call to go for it on 4th and 2 but I agree that the play-calling is annoying, mainly because they abandon the run way too often.

But despite whatever else, Allen's had plenty of opportunities to deliver game-winning drives and he hasn't been able to execute them. Plenty of good QBs who fell short because they couldn't win tight games.

Allen is at his best.....like all other elite-level QBs......when he takes what the defense gives him.

When he tries to force things downfield, he gets in trouble.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Personally I don't trust Josh Allen. Coaching can't fix the interceptions he's throwing. Defense has been decimated by injuries and is still playing decent. Top QBs have to orchestrate game-winning drives. Allen's not doing that.

I like the call to go for it on 4th and 2 but I agree that the play-calling is annoying, mainly because they abandon the run way too often.

But despite whatever else, Allen's had plenty of opportunities to deliver game-winning drives and he hasn't been able to execute them. Plenty of good QBs who fell short because they couldn't win tight games.
I think you can design plays that doesnt put Allen in the position to go for it all. Not sure if there was any check downs on that play.

Reactions: Zman5778

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Who the hell QB sneaks from their own goal line?

This game reminds me of this old ESPN commercial for the Bills.

Yeah. I was wondering what they would do. Turned out terribly. I mean, it's not like a safety would have been so bad, actually so risking a pass or a run wouldn't have been the end of the world

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Who the hell QB sneaks from their own goal line?

A safety doesn't kill us there. We'd still have the lead and make the Vikings drive 30-40 yards to get in FG range with one timeout.

Our coaching staff had their collective heads up their asses in the 4th. You also HAVE to remind your players in the 2 minute timeout before the 4th and 18 -- KNOCK THE BALL DOWN. Don't try to make the hero play. Just knock it down and win.

To summarize:

1.) No need to get aggressive and try to score on the 4th down. Kick the FG to go up by 13. Make them score twice.
2.) Get the ball with 4 minutes to go and leading by 4 and Minny has ONE timeout. RUN THE CLOCK. 2 incompletions gives Minny plenty of time and doesn't have to burn their timeout.
3.) Remind your players to knock the ball down.
4.) Not double or triple covering JJ like ever. Dude is killing you. Make someone else beat you.
5.) Don't need to QB sneak out of the endzone, though I do understand why you'd try.
6.) Frazier's inability to scheme up a run defense when it matters.
7.) That playcall at the end -- why is everyone near the end zone or like 5 yards from it? Terrible play design.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
A safety doesn't kill us there. We'd still have the lead and make the Vikings drive 30-40 yards to get in FG range with one timeout.

Our coaching staff had their collective heads up their asses in the 4th. You also HAVE to remind your players in the 2 minute timeout before the 4th and 18 -- KNOCK THE BALL DOWN. Don't try to make the hero play. Just knock it down and win.

To summarize:

1.) No need to get aggressive and try to score on the 4th down. Kick the FG to go up by 13. Make them score twice.
2.) Get the ball with 4 minutes to go and leading by 4 and Minny has ONE timeout. RUN THE CLOCK. 2 incompletions gives Minny plenty of time and doesn't have to burn their timeout.
3.) Remind your players to knock the ball down.
4.) Not double or triple covering JJ like ever. Dude is killing you. Make someone else beat you.
5.) Don't need to QB sneak out of the endzone, though I do understand why you'd try.
6.) Frazier's inability to scheme up a run defense when it matters.
7.) That playcall at the end -- why is everyone near the end zone or like 5 yards from it? Terrible play design.
I don't agree with 1, 2, 5, or 6 (to an extent). And I consider 3 more the football IQ of the players on the field thing than anything else.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don't agree with 1, 2, 5, or 6 (to an extent). And I consider 3 more the football IQ of the players on the field thing than anything else.

I don't see how you can not agree with #2 on my list. PLENTY of good-to-elite teams would get the ball with 4 min left up by 4 and never let the opposition see the ball again. Pretending teams outsmart themselves, throw the ball 3 times and stop the clock helpfully for the opposition.

We've seen it time and again. Buffalo NEEDED to run clock there in that situation. And they didn't. Outsmarted themselves.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The turnovers are the killer. 2 INTs, 2 fumbles. That's the difference in this game.

The entire year, the Bills have been too lackadaisical with the ball. Even the Chiefs game they turned it over. Often they can overcome it (and they almost did again today), but they play with fire way too much.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The turnovers are the killer. 2 INTs, 2 fumbles. That's the difference in this game.

The entire year, the Bills have been too lackadaisical with the ball. Even the Chiefs game they turned it over. Often they can overcome it (and they almost did again today), but they play with fire way too much.

Very, very good point. We're killing ourselves through execution.

Reactions: kirby11

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
12 points in the last 3 second halfs. 2-9 in one score games the last two seasons. Boatloads of turnovers. This is the most unclutch team I’ve seen and as much as I love Josh he’s the most unclutch QB in the NFL. He can’t win close games and now has what 7 INTs in the opposing teams end zone? They need to have some come to Jesus meetings instead of the pouty “ we played like shit and need to be better”. The season is slipping away and KC now owns the 1 seed.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I don't see how you can not agree with #2 on my list. PLENTY of good-to-elite teams would get the ball with 4 min left up by 4 and never let the opposition see the ball again. Pretending teams outsmart themselves, throw the ball 3 times and stop the clock helpfully for the opposition.

We've seen it time and again. Buffalo NEEDED to run clock there in that situation. And they didn't. Outsmarted themselves.
They needed a first down. By pass or by run. Running 3 times and punting does nothing but leave less time in the clock for us to answer back after a score. There was far too much time on the clock for going 3 and out to put time pressure on them.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
They needed a first down. By pass or by run. Running 3 times and punting does nothing but leave less time in the clock for us to answer back after a score.

It leaves less time for Minny to score too. At some point you gotta trust your D to make a stop.....and if it wasn't for that 4th and 18 bullshit, we win the game anyway.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
It leaves less time for Minny to score too. At some point you gotta trust your D to make a stop.....and if it wasn't for that 4th and 18 bullshit, we win the game anyway.
Sure. If MIN had all their timeouts I might agree with you, because they might get a 2nd possession from our throws. With just one left we just needed a stop regardless.

Reactions: oldgoalie

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Still...wow. the late Vikes TD....the Bills FG...the stupid final interception. They didn't need a TD. Lots of time and yardage for a first down without a TD.

Can we circle back to going for it on 4th and 2 instead of the FG. One could argue that decision cost them the game. We were watching the Lions/Bears game too with my uncle that's a Bears fan. Shell-shocked over here. Stunned disbelief. Ridiculous.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Still...wow. the late Vikes TD....the Bills FG...the stupid final interception. They didn't need a TD. Lots of time and yardage for a first down without a TD.

Can we circle back to going for it on 4th and 2 instead of the FG. One could argue that decision cost them the game. We were watching the Lions/Bears game too with my uncle that's a Bears fan. Shell-shocked over here. Stunned disbelief. Ridiculous.

Ok i stand corrected. Theres your checkdown

Reactions: Zman5778

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY

I think the 4th and 2 call was correct. 2 score game stays two scores if you kick. Not only did they not execute, but Josh gave them 25 more yards by trying to force it.

Reactions: 1TuchAnd1NoTuch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad