News Article: Billboard On Yellowhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Libel, saying anything that could potentially lead the public (as opposed to private) to having a lesser opinion of somebody else can be seen as such.

I think saying something along the lines "its time for change" and a picture of Kevin would be a little better but who knows im not a lawyer.

isn't this is as Lowe as we go a positive statement? Like, "don't worry, it's as low as we go, it all gets better from here with our management"

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Like I already posted the process will play out as follows:

Kevin Lowe named VP of Rexall Group, will champion the Arena project.
Mark Messier named President of Hockey Operations.
Messier, like Mactavish and Howson before him, was brought back into the organization for some specific reason. I suspect Lowe steps down at some point, possibly this summer, and Messier replaces him. These guys haven't been too hard to figure out so far.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Messier, like Mactavish and Howson before him, was brought back into the organization for some specific reason. I suspect Lowe steps down at some point, possibly this summer, and Messier replaces him. These guys haven't been too hard to figure out so far.

Lowe will let other people have his glory? No way. Lowe is here until either the team wins a cup, or he is forced out by Katz or bad health. His ego won't allow him to leave.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I was thinking about Katz letter to the fans last night.
It reminded me of when he texted Stauffer that MacT's job as coach was safe.
That worked out well.
Maybe the letter was really Lowe's kiss of death?
Mactavish stepped down though and wasn't fired. He decided he had had enough of being on the hot seat. Let's hope Lowe decides the same thing.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Just finished reading this whole thread. Phew.

MarkGio, as far as I'm concerned you are very welcome here. I admire your ability to come into the Oilers forum and be so respectful. Solid posts too, I was impressed when you found that Oilers boycott thread. I was one of the first people saying we should do this! Haha, although I haven't put my money where my mouth is yet.

I could start a thread on this but there's plenty of busy threads here right now.. I was curious, what would you guys do if Katz gave you the job of President of Hockey Ops for the Oilers? Lay out what you would do in the first 6-12 months.

I'd tell MacT he's still got a job, but he's on thin ice. You've got some time, but if things aren't changing in the right by the time the draft is over then you're done. And you have to fire Eakins NOW if you want to keep your job. New HC gets to pick his guys, if you don't like it you can go home.

Next I'd probably take a good look at the scouts. Most likely I'd start by hiring a few new guys before any heads roll and take a few months to evaluate the rest of the staff.

Chabot is done. Goaltending won't turn around with this guy. We need to develop goalies badly, but we also need a top goalie coach if we're going to acquire a legit #1.

If MacT is done after the draft I would spend my summer focusing on finding the right GM. Hopefully Katz would let me throw a lot of $ at the right guy, because we do need some stability and I'd like to hire a proven GM that I could confidently keep for a few years.

#1 thing I wouldn't do is hire my buddies or anyone that's a rookie. We've got enough inexperience on the ice, we don't need rookie coaches or GM's.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Mactavish stepped down though and wasn't fired. He decided he had had enough of being on the hot seat. Let's hope Lowe decides the same thing.

I guarantee if MacT didn't step down that Lowe/Katz would have never fired him. I don't think Katz' text about MacT not going anywhere was a kiss of death, he meant it. MacT probably realized they're never firing him, the team tuned him out and his only option was to step down.

I don't think MacT was as good of a coach as many other people do. He was the HC of the Oilers for far too long. He wasn't clueless, he just wasn't a very good coach. The fact that nobody else wanted to hire him is telling.. he had to take a job in the AHL. Now I didn't watch the Chicago Wolves, I doubt anyone here did either, but they missed the playoffs the year he coached. The made the playoffs before he was their coach and the year after he left. I guess that earns you a GM gig in the NHL, at least in Kevin Lowe's twisted mind it does.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
That article on Trotz's comments on Dubnyk pisses me off. Lowe hires complete idiots to teach our players bad habits, yet Katz is still defending him.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

MarkGio, as far as I'm concerned you are very welcome here. I admire your ability to come into the Oilers forum and be so respectful. Solid posts too, I was impressed when you found that Oilers boycott thread. I was one of the first people saying we should do this! Haha, although I haven't put my money where my mouth is yet.

I could start a thread on this but there's plenty of busy threads here right now.. I was curious, what would you guys do if Katz gave you the job of President of Hockey Ops for the Oilers? Lay out what you would do in the first 6-12 months.

I'd tell MacT he's still got a job, but he's on thin ice. You've got some time, but if things aren't changing in the right by the time the draft is over then you're done. And you have to fire Eakins NOW if you want to keep your job. New HC gets to pick his guys, if you don't like it you can go home.

Next I'd probably take a good look at the scouts. Most likely I'd start by hiring a few new guys before any heads roll and take a few months to evaluate the rest of the staff.

Chabot is done. Goaltending won't turn around with this guy. We need to develop goalies badly, but we also need a top goalie coach if we're going to acquire a legit #1.

If MacT is done after the draft I would spend my summer focusing on finding the right GM. Hopefully Katz would let me throw a lot of $ at the right guy, because we do need some stability and I'd like to hire a proven GM that I could confidently keep for a few years.

#1 thing I wouldn't do is hire my buddies or anyone that's a rookie. We've got enough inexperience on the ice, we don't need rookie coaches or GM's.

Hey thanks man! I might have been thinking about this thread too:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1519315&page=12

Last edited:

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton

And how do you know that MacT's stepping down wasn't all a pre-arrangement that he would be back in a couple of years? It's been mentioned before of Lowe and MacT being joined at the hip many years ago.

I think MacT already knew he would be back with the Oilers when he resigned. A couple years elsewhere, finished getting his degree, and then comes back to the Oilers in a higher position than when he left.

Or am I wearing a tin-foil hat? :sarcasm:

Oct 15, 2008
And how do you know that MacT's stepping down wasn't all a pre-arrangement that he would be back in a couple of years? It's been mentioned before of Lowe and MacT being joined at the hip many years ago.

I think MacT already knew he would be back with the Oilers when he resigned. A couple years elsewhere, finished getting his degree, and then comes back to the Oilers in a higher position than when he left.

He may have known that it could be a possibility for him sometime down the road, but I doubt he was planning on it. He applied for and interviewed for at least a couple head coaching jobs in the nhl, which he never got of course.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver

That's something I joked about when MacT stepped down as coach, as did a bunch of other people. I didn't think it would actually happen though... seeing MacT named as GM I almost had to wonder if I was dreaming.

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
He may have known that it could be a possibility for him sometime down the road, but I doubt he was planning on it. He applied for and interviewed for at least a couple head coaching jobs in the nhl, which he never got of course.

Yeah. You're right. Good point.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Management is a ****ing joke. Billboard or not, we're doomed until these idiots sink.

I never felt that I'd understand the feeling of a politically oppressed system until now, I hate to make allusions, but Oilers fans are smack in the middle of a stiatuation we have absolutely no control over. This team is screwed until the money runs out on these morons.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Holy balls. We're so desperate that we need to take private action on these folks. I'm not saying that what is happening is wrong. But, our management combo is dumber than a sack of hammers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I don't really think you want to tell your GM he's on thin ice, he'll probably turn around and do something stupid like make desperation trades for some of the kids.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Quick review of site rule #13

13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

We do not support baseless accusations.

Perhaps posts were deleted and I'm not seeing something but I'm a little at a loss to understand what this is in actual response to. Sure its quoting a rule, but what was the transgression or libelous statement?

Without that I for one am confused.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Didn't see it. What was said?

That Dubnyk clearly developed some bad habits in Edmonton. he didn't get more specific.

I would gather that they involve bad mental habits. Dubnyk was clearly rattled in the Nashville game and became unglued. His focus wandered like we've seen so often in Edmonton and which was apparently accepted here.
I called it out immediately after seeing the Nashville game that it wouldn't be tolerated by Trotz.

Basically its about guys easily getting off their game and starting to fight it and buy in more to the frustration than the focus on winning and what it takes to do that.

These would be the bad habits. That we allow unfocused play, meltdowns, cluster****s, and keep playing the guys that do it.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I think he knew he was coming back too. I was saying it on the main board for years and got flamed for it. I never thought they'd make him a GM though, that seemed too far fetched for me but I thought that once the heat died down he'd be back. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a similar situation with Lowe. That's how arrogant this organization is. It has never been about best candidate available. Maybe Katz will finally start getting the message now that his fan base is finally showing signs of being fed up.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I assume Katz and MacT are involved in some capacity.

If you fire Lowe fire everybody. Completely clean house. Just changing hockey's ops presidents means you're still under Katz.

See what I'm saying? It's not just Lowe, it's the entire organization. Firing Lowe to replace him with another crony fixes zilch.

It's a trickle down effect.
MacT and the coaches namely Bucky and Smith are only here because of Lowe.
I'm pretty sure the new guy would clean house and bring in his guys after a brief evaluation of the current regime as is the case with most upper management purges so it's not just about firing Lowe and keeping the status quo otherwise.

All i know is that the one constant over this period of suckage is Lowe (and Katz too of course) so keeping the status quo isn't an option.
The more fed up fans get, the more attention it draws and the worse the perception of Edmonton becomes hopefully to the point of forcing meaningful change so if a billboard plays a small part in getting that done then it would have accomplished its goal. Can't possibly hurt.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Re Dubnyk, in his interview with Gregor a couple things came out. One thing is that he was affected by MacT essentially telling the world they were looking for a new starter in the off-season and showing no confidence, even fake confidence in him. That is on him as a goalie, he needs to be more mentally tough than that.

He also mentioned quite a few times about having problems with the new way the team was playing defense and not being able to pick up the puck.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Re Dubnyk, in his interview with Gregor a couple things came out. One thing is that he was affected by MacT essentially telling the world they were looking for a new starter in the off-season and showing no confidence, even fake confidence in him. That is on him as a goalie, he needs to be more mentally tough than that.

He also mentioned quite a few times about having problems with the new way the team was playing defense and not being able to pick up the puck.

Guy is full of excuses.

Sad thing is, he was never great in juior (Excuse was his Kamloops team sucked), was decent in the AHL (never really good) and never had a sustainted stretch of elite SV% in the NHL.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
For those who want to fire Mac T, just wondering what kind of magic you expect even someone like Chiarelli or Nill to do on this team?

We're a market that most players don't want to play in, and have been one of the worst franchises in professional sports in the last decade. We have to severely overpay free agents. We have a terrible history of developing our prospects and it seems like our top draft picks from The Tank have plateaued at best, AND, to top it all off, the entire world knows the fanbase is angry and the team is desperate for success.

I can't imagine a GM being in a worse situation, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad