News Article: Billboard On Yellowhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I'd say it's kind of relevant, I assume it's directed at Lowe.

And yeah I agree, I wouldn't be throwing a jersey away like that but I guess they want to send a message.

To me throwing away your jersey says nothing about wanting lowe gone, and more about the fact you're sick of the team and are going to abandon it.

so to me this isn't fire Lowe. This is someone saying I am no longer a fan, and when the team is good I might jump on the bandwagon.

member 145483

I wonder if the jersey was placed for the picture and left...or picked right back up?

Easy to make a fraction of a statement...statement, lol.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
To me throwing away your jersey says nothing about wanting lowe gone, and more about the fact you're sick of the team and are going to abandon it.

so to me this isn't fire Lowe. This is someone saying I am no longer a fan, and when the team is good I might jump on the bandwagon.

I think for any person its difficult to tread that line between support and fandom. You might like a cause but dislike the actions taken, and vice versa. Its a juxtaposition really. But more than that, its very anti-biological because people are generally built to be vulnerable towards cognitive dissonance.

I think what I'm trying to say is that normally fans are homers. I think it has to be overtly and undeniably bad for that to change. Moreover, I have to ask: how can one unconditionally cheer for a team and at the same time fully disagree with its structure and make-up?

As a Flames mod, we went through the same thing during the Sutter years with Calgary. People thought everyone was a troll even though they called themselves Flames fans. Between the giving-up and the insults, we had to find the reasons for being emotional. Did one ultimately want what's best? And was it frustration, not continuous attack?

If this guy paid for the jersey and once wore it, is he not a fan? He certainly took the time and effort to make his message public, when he simply could have done it in the quietness of his own home.

Just my take. :)

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
sakic and roy with the Avs say hello

Touché.

Difference being of course that they seem to be working out while the Oilers are spinning their wheels and even going backwards.

I pointed that out in another thread as well... whether we agreed with the hirings or not... the proof is in the results and they aren't good.

MacT and Eakins have been around hockey for all their lives so it's a given that they have experience (although not at the current levels they are at)... but it all comes down to results.

Rookie players you give slack to because they are green players usually in their teens or early 20's... they by definition ARE inexperienced even in life at that point but Eakins and MacT don't get that privilege because they are the commanders running the show... if they can't get the job done... they MUST be fired and individuals put in their place that CAN do the job.

Oct 15, 2008

Maybe it was a Lowe jersey?

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg

I envy the bandwagoneers. They have all the upside of being a sports fan with none of the 8 years of losing. Seriously, if you checked out after the game 7 loss to Carolina would your life be better or worse right now?

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
I envy the bandwagoneers. They have all the upside of being a sports fan with none of the 8 years of losing. Seriously, if you checked out after the game 7 loss to Carolina would your life be better or worse right now?

I agree. If more Oil fans were bandwagoners the team wouldn't have been able to just throw out the steaming pile that they call a team every year because it would actually be reflected in their bottom line.

I'll go as far to say we need MORE bandwagon fans to help this team out of the **** abyss.

DregerFan

Jul 4, 2007

better cuz i believed pluggers like pisani actually had chances to be 25g scorers from thereon out. #colitisblows

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
You mean the guy who signed Gagner to a five mill deal with the promise not to trade him? Or the guy who thought Denis Grebeshkov was an nhl defenseman? Or the guy who foolishly stated what bold moves he was going to make as a rookie gm?

Ya, we can rest easy knowing we are in good hands with Mact.

I said competent, not good. Point is, Calgary has a better staff than we do

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
I'm so proud to be an Oilers fan knowing we're finally stepping up and standing up against the tyrant Kevin Lowe.

Lowe's reign of terror must end.

Until we vanquish the anti-Christ that is Lowe, the Oilers will never see a winning season again!

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
I'm so proud to be an Oilers fan knowing we're finally stepping up and standing up against the tyrant Kevin Lowe.

Lowe's reign of terror must end.

Until we vanquish the anti-Christ that is Lowe, the Oilers will never see a winning season again!

This summer we will see a change..

The letter from Katz might have been influenced more, from his son questioning him, about the state of the team, than from any media source..

This is just an assumption...

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

The letter from Katz might have been influenced more, from his son questioning him, about the state of the team, than from any media source..

The kid wants more pics of himself and the first overalls hanging in his bedroom, I doubt he questions anything. What do you give your kid when he has everything, a new first overall picture, it seems.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton

I know it's qualified as an assumption, but I'm sorry, I normally don't mock stuff like this. If Katz is influenced by his little fro-boy, we're all in for worse than we can comprehend.:laugh::laugh::handclap:

Jun 9, 2011

His kid is probably able to communicate the general attitude of fans. He might scout boards like HF etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I liked watching Eakins with his white board out, trying to explain his plan for the the 6 on 5 final 90 seconds. He looked, to me, like he didn't have a clue. Then the team goes out and can't even get out of their own end, let alone make a final push to tie the game. My hunch confirmed.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I liked watching Eakins with his white board out, trying to explain his plan for the the 6 on 5 final 90 seconds. He looked, to me, like he didn't have a clue. Then the team goes out and can't even get out of their own end, let alone make a final push to tie the game. My hunch confirmed.
A huge part of that is he thought having Gagner out there could win it for us and as soon as he gets the puck he no look passes it to Phoenix.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Am I out of line in thinking "what's the big deal with the jersey tossing?" Some people boo, some leave, who care's if someone throws a jersey, hat or bra on after the game to express their displeasure. It's the fan who's losing out on the money spent on the jersey and it's not hurting anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad