Bill Peters Allegations - Update: Story corroborated, possible assault. (SEE MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Im not a Flames fan and don’t know anything about Bill Peters other than from what little time he’s coached in the NHL but wasn’t Aliu the guy who has had issues almost everywhere he’s played and has played the victim card as to why he never succeeded in the NHL before?

Or am I getting that completely wrong?

I just find it so surprising that in this day and age any coach would be stupid enough to use that word and it seems awfully strange that the accusations are coming out years after it was meant to have happened.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Breaking News: Things were said, in a hockey dressing room, that shouldn't have been. You have to look where it's coming from. A washed up player that wasn't good enough, becomes keyboard warrior.
Doesn't matter man. You can't go around saying things like that - regardless of if Aliu was an all-star or an ECHL drop out. Hopefully the league and the Flames do their due diligence, get all the supporting facts and corroborate stories - and go from there. Really unfortunate situation - but if BP did go that route - then he should be let go.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Outside of Babcock, who is even available to coach this team?

giphy.gif

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I could see it. Not that I'm saying it definitely happened, but perhaps Peters tried to use it in a joking manner. Sort of like "Turn down that ***** music" or "Who's playing this ***** music?" That's literally the only context where I could see Peters use it and not get into trouble immediately, as Aliu was young and probably didn't know how to handle that at the time.

It's unfortunate that this is surrounding the team right now, and I'm sure there is gonna be investigation opened to see if any teammates on the Icehogs could corroborate Aliu's story.

How on earth would him saying it like that be any better? I don’t even understand what you think is a “joke” there

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Reserve my opinion until we find out the full story.
- If it's true, no room for a guy like Peters in the NHL.
- If it's false... man... you could end a guys' career for less these days. I wish there was tangible repercussions for these types of claims.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Im not a Flames fan and don’t know anything about Bill Peters other than from what little time he’s coached in the NHL but wasn’t Aliu the guy who has had issues almost everywhere he’s played and has played the victim card as to why he never succeeded in the NHL before?

Or am I getting that completely wrong?

I seem to recall this about Aliu too, so I don't think you're wrong at all, though I don't remember all the details.

That said, I think one thing we need to learn from the #metoo movement is not to pass judgment until we hear both sides of the story.

Reactions: Paul4587

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I wonder if the league is launching an investigation into the Hawks org and Stan Bowman.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hopefully Sean expands upon this.. generalities only muddy the water.
Indeed, and this basically seems to be the case of all pro hockey coaches. Hell, I've heard similar things about coaches for Junior B. Some of them treat their players like absolute garbage as a motivational tactic.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Indeed, and this basically seems to be the case of all pro hockey coaches. Hell, I've heard similar things about coaches for Junior B. Some of them treat their players like absolute garbage as a motivational tactic.

Absolutely. I think you could pretty easily argue that 'abuse' in that respect is actually pretty endemic in hockey, in general.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Reserve my opinion until we find out the full story.
- If it's true, no room for a guy like Peters in the NHL.
- If it's false... man... you could end a guys' career for less these days. I wish there was tangible repercussions for these types of claims.

Well, realistically racist slurs are not against the law in and of themselves. Pretty much all professions would fire employees over it, but you can't bring it to the police as far as I understand. That's why officially-racist organizations are allowed to exist provided they walk the tight-rope of what is legal and what isn't.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Well, realistically racist slurs are not against the law in and of themselves. Pretty much all professions would fire employees over it, but you can't bring it to the police as far as I understand. That's why officially-racist organizations are allowed to exist provided they walk the tight-rope of what is legal and what isn't.

Yes, unless it goes so far that it could be considered a hate crime. What constitutes that is for people smarter than I to debate though.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I get that the Babcock story probably prompted Akim to speak out on his Peters incident, but saying, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...same sorta deal" making the leap from Babcock the ***-hole to Peter's the racist...I don't think he's purposely equating Pyscho power-mad coach with racist coach but still

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Doesn't matter man. You can't go around saying things like that - regardless of if Aliu was an all-star or an ECHL drop out. Hopefully the league and the Flames do their due diligence, get all the supporting facts and corroborate stories - and go from there. Really unfortunate situation - but if BP did go that route - then he should be let go.
You obviously haven't spent much time in many dressing rooms. I've been in quite a few that resembled the episode of Rescue Me- where they all got sent for sensitivity training.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
What Aliu did really irritates me. If it happened its inexcusable, and should of been dealt with at that time. If he didnt feel comfortable at the time, there are far better ways to bring this forward than twitter. I really hate the social mudslinging that happens with unproven accusations.

Reactions: Negan4Coach

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
All accusations are unproven. Peters said this and still has a job, nearly a decade later. It's not because players of colour aren't speaking out, it's because the systemic structure enables this behaviour to go unchallenged. No coach ever called me n-word but none of my coaches were white either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad