Bill Peters Allegations - Update: Story corroborated, possible assault. (SEE MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I could see it. Not that I'm saying it definitely happened, but perhaps Peters tried to use it in a joking manner. Sort of like "Turn down that ***** music" or "Who's playing this ***** music?" That's literally the only context where I could see Peters use it and not get into trouble immediately, as Aliu was young and probably didn't know how to handle that at the time.

It's unfortunate that this is surrounding the team right now, and I'm sure there is gonna be investigation opened to see if any teammates on the Icehogs could corroborate Aliu's story.

There is a worrisome part of me that the defence (if true) is going to be something like ‘it was with a soft a’ in reference to the same sort of scenario you are suggesting.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
John Vanbiesbrouck uttered the n-word to Trevor Daley and faced severe repercussions. That was in 2003. He ended up out of a job, and the team was leveled with a $50k fine.
I mean, he resigned but still got to keep his ownership stake in the team. And now he finds himself working a high-level job for USA hockey.

These are still just allegations and I'm not ready to call Peters guilty. However, at the time Aliu was in the minors which is a world of a difference to junior. You ruffle some feathers in junior like Ho-Sang and teams will still take a flyer on you. If you cross important people in the pros, you might not get another shot.

In his tweets he said he took matters into his own hands with Peters and was then told to pack his bags for the ECHL. That can feel extremely isolating for a player without a safety net in the pros and perhaps why he sat on it, if it truly happened.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
There is a worrisome part of me that the defence (if true) is going to be something like ‘it was with a soft a’ in reference to the same sort of scenario you are suggesting.

Treliving is too smart to let that happen. It’s going to be a denial across the board or a firing/resignation

Will be interesting to watch. It’s likely we’ll never know if it really happened or not

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I would expect there is no middle ground with this. It's an accusation of something that would have witnesses. We're going to see Peters be fired, or we're going to see a defamation suit. The club absolutely can't go public with a statement like "he said it, but it wasn't that bad."

Reactions: Janks

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space

If that's the case then I'm not sure where it'll go. It's such a grey zone as Peters could claim he meant it as a joke/not in a malicious way if it was indeed with the soft a (which I'm actually assuming it was). However, that still puts the Flames in a sticky position considering the political climate we're in, there's gonna be pressure to fire Peters and send a message. Especially considering our preeminent franchise player is a PoC.

Or, they could play this completely differently. Have Peters apologize (if he in fact admits to Treliving tonight), come out with a statement, a plan to rectify what he did (IE apologize to Aliu directly, then set up a fund or something I don't know) and hope that this goes over quietly and everyone forgets about in a few months. The issue is, I'm not quite sure it's going to be that easy. But I don't have all the facts, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out the next couple days.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
This is a terrible situation all the way around. I am sorry that Akim experienced this if it is true. I also hope Bill is doing okay tonight, all things considered.

I don't see why he would fabricate something as serious as this. But I think everyone should allow more information to come out before making further judgment.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
From the sounds of things its no longer “presumed innocent until proven guilty”. Its “guilty once accused”

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Innocent until proven guilty.
Unfortunately we've devolved into "believe all accusers until proven otherwise". It's often impossible to prove you didn't do something but the "I only read the headlines" culture makes up their mind casually and quickly. And even if allegations prove to be 100% false the person accused is dogged by them forever.

Having said the above if Peters is found to have said what he's accused of then f*** him. But as much as I don't like him as a coach he deserves the presumption of innocence.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What a nightmare of a season. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Rittich is accused of sodomizing the Queen of England tomorrow. This franchise man, perpetually taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

I have a bad feeling this will end poorly. Hope Peters' name is cleared and that we can all move on but if this proves to be true then fire his ass. I have a particular distaste for people in positions of authority misusing and abusing their power, especially when it victimizes young people. A coach should be an ally and an advocate and a mentor for their players.

Reactions: super6646

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The sad thing is, I don’t see any reason for Akim Aliu to make this up. He’s not getting a job out of it, not getting any clout, if it was said in the locker room there will be witnesses, just don’t see any valid reason for him to make it up.

On the other hand, I 100% see why he took this time to spill the beans, with Babs getting outed as an asshole, it was the perfect time to fire shots and get noticed, if he was spouting this stuff all along 1) no NHL team would’ve touched him 2) he’d come off as a nutty hater like Commie.

I was really against firing Peters so soon but they really might not have a choice now. f*** this season.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
If this is true,

#1: It's sickening that a coach would use this kind of language in the first place
#2: It's just as disgusting that his teammates didn't do anything about it. Way to have his back

Peters'll have a chance to come clean to Treliving behind closed doors and if there's even a crumb of truth to these rumours he'll be fired. I think that even if they open an investigation, Peters will be placed on leave. There's been way too many distractions with the Flames this season

The story doesn't really make sense. Peters called him the N word because he didn't like the music he was listening to? He would risk his career, at that level, by calling one of his players a racial slur because of his taste in music...I doubt that

Sounds like a player who just didn't cut it for the pro league, got sour he got sent down and chalked it up to racism. It's such a sensitive subject, and being a minority myself, I know alot of people use that to their advantage and to gain favor. But this is just my opinion. The story just doesn't make any sense to me, and the timing was calculated.

I could be totally wrong, and it's actually the truth, but I will not place any judgement on Peters at all, until the full bare story, from all sides come to surface. Not just one disgruntled prospect that put out a couple tweets on twitter

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The sad thing is, I don’t see any reason for Akim Aliu to make this up. He’s not getting a job out of it, not getting any clout, if it was said in the locker room there will be witnesses, just don’t see any valid reason for him to make it up.

On the other hand, I 100% see why he took this time to spill the beans, with Babs getting outed as an *******, it was the perfect time to fire shots and get noticed, if he was spouting this stuff all along 1) no NHL team would’ve touched him 2) he’d come off as a nutty hater like Commie.

I was really against firing Peters so soon but they really might not have a choice now. **** this season.

Maybe he just wants to justify why he was a failure?

Just guessing on my part...I have no clue

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
This distraction is the last thing this team needs. Might b best if we all ignore it and move on.

forecheck

May 14, 2007
I am so sick of this crap .. The sport and playing games has become secondary - Babcock - Cherry - now Peters BS... The thousands of media members latch on to all this crap because the games are so boring...

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
What a nightmare of a season. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Rittich is accused of sodomizing the Queen of England tomorrow. This franchise man, perpetually taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

I have a bad feeling this will end poorly. Hope Peters' name is cleared and that we can all move on but if this proves to be true then fire his ass. I have a particular distaste for people in positions of authority misusing and abusing their power, especially when it victimizes young people. A coach should be an ally and an advocate and a mentor for their players.

How could Rittich sodomizing the queen of England be anything but good PR?

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
The story doesn't really make sense. Peters called him the N word because he didn't like the music he was listening to? He would risk his career, at that level, by calling one of his players a racial slur because of his taste in music...I doubt that

If it happened today, it would make no sense. But 10 years ago before the time of social media when Peters was some random AHL coach coaching random AHL guys? I can see it happening, I mean Don Cherry has said similar things on public TV.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hard to imagine why Aliu would make this up. Very little to gain. No doubt this will be investigated.

Anyone who's been in a hockey locker room knows how raw the language can get. Wouldn't at all surprise me if Peters let something like this slip.

Innocent until proven guilty, but doesn't look good.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Breaking News: Things were said, in a hockey dressing room, that shouldn't have been. You have to look where it's coming from. A washed up player that wasn't good enough, becomes keyboard warrior.

Reactions: 87turbobuick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad